McCarthy out Trump left speechless

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Crackpot

McCarthy out Trump left speechless

Post by Crackpot »

Had to use the title. not fully informed about the trump gag order yet.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: McCarthy out Trump left speechless

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Crackpot wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:06 pm
Had to use the title. not fully informed about the trump gag order yet.
Trump had posted on his fake twitter a thing about the judge's law clerk including some personal identifiers, calling her "Chuck Schumer's girlfriend" and saying she was running the (NY bank fraud) trial. It was an obvious signal for his flying monkeys to harass, intimidate and possibly injure her. Judge was furious, ordered Trump to take it down (he did), and ordered that no one ever say anything about his courtroom staff on social media, in press conferences, in emails or on any other medium, or there would be severe sanctions.

As for Kevin McCarthy, he got what he so richly deserved for putting the Klown Kaukus in charge of his circus.
GAH!

Burning Petard

Re: McCarthy out Who could be our next president?

Post by Burning Petard »

Just a (horrible) thought experiment. Just suppose the Veep is out on some fundraising/public appearance tonite and is killed. When the President is informed, he has an unfortunate physiological stress reaction, (heart attack, stroke, whatever) that kills him. Who does the judge, holding the bible, stand in front of and administer the oath of office? Normal succession rules now say it is the Speaker of the House, but we don't have one. Who is next? Who gets the code for the football?

By the way, "Yakety Sax" with Boots Randolph was the first pre-recorded tape cassette I purchased.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Snailgate I really didn’t need that thoughtworm to ruin this fine sunny fall day! :arg
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Although equally terrifying is the prospect of McCarthy as president, so there is that.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Jim Jordan should scare you more. Scalise? Who he?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Burning Petard wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:20 pm
Just a (horrible) thought experiment. Just suppose the Veep is out on some fundraising/public appearance tonite and is killed. When the President is informed, he has an unfortunate physiological stress reaction, (heart attack, stroke, whatever) that kills him. Who does the judge, holding the bible, stand in front of and administer the oath of office? Normal succession rules now say it is the Speaker of the House, but we don't have one. Who is next? Who gets the code for the football?
Next in line is the President pro tempore of the Senate, Patty Murray.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:49 pm
Jim Jordan should scare you more. Scalise? Who he?
Scalise called himself David Duke without the baggage.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... epublicans

Which part of David Duke isn't baggage? :shrug
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I think he means that David Duke drags this about on planes whereas Scalise ships his ahead:

Last edited by MajGenl.Meade on Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:lol:
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:49 pm
Jim Jordan should scare you more.
Kevin McCarthy was abused so badly that Jim Jordan had to pretend he didn't see it.

--shamelessly stolen from someone on the X-Twatter.
GAH!

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I remember at the time some of us speculated that the possibility of President Quayle made GHW Bush the best protected president ever.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Scooter wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:02 pm
Burning Petard wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:20 pm
Next in line is the President pro tempore of the Senate, Patty Murray.
Did you do a deep dive on the constitutional scholarship on this? Just curious, because we are in a moment that is unprecedented so I’m wondering if the answer is really that clear.

Yes, under normal circumstances the President pro tempore of the Senate is next in line of succession to the presidency.

But there is a Speaker pro tempore of the House currently serving - Patrick McHenry, who just evicted Nancy Pelosi and Steny Hoyer from their House offices.

The Speaker chair has never before been vacant, but I would assume an argument could be made that the Speaker pro tempore inherits the position in the line of succession.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

My question is what protocol or procedure was in force that put the Speaker's gavel, even pro tem — along with the powers to arbitrarily demand that certain members of the House yield their offices, even if it was a secondary, 'hide-away' office, on a 24-hour deadline — in the hands of Patrick McHenry?
Or was it just because his name sounded so much like one of the original Founding Fathers?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

BSG that was the same I heard on the matter though from what I heard )from other sources) presidential succession has a few loopholes in it (or at least undefined points) that any successor beyond the first few in line could open the way to a constitutional crisis. (Such as appointing a replacement cabinet member, if higher in “rank” could cause the replacement cabinet member to become the “proper” successor. )
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

From what I have read, most scholars agree that the temporary speaker will not be in line, primarily because he was not elected speaker by the House (I would imagine replacement cabinet officers would not either unless approved by a Senate vote), but it could well trigger a crisis with the public (they're stealing the presidency again).

As for the powers of the pro tem speaker (like office assignments), the House makes its own rules and this appears to be one of them--just a way to wield some influence.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:lol:
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

If the Republicans were so concerned about stability and governance and not having the House held hostage by their own loony right-wing extremist fringe, all it would take is half a dozen of them to vote for Hakeem Jeffries for Speaker.
GAH!