RIP Grand Old Party

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

RIP Grand Old Party

Post by BoSoxGal »

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Re: RIP Grand Old Party

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Thanks for that. Guess I'll check with Margaretta on the money and, if it's OK with her, I'll buy that book.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:07 pm
Thanks for that. Guess I'll check with Margaretta on the money and, if it's OK with her, I'll buy that book.
Don’t forget your local public library is a wonderful resource for new books if you are on a fixed income. I find that there is not a very long wait for most of the political books, more so for popular fiction.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:15 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:07 pm
Don’t forget your local public library is a wonderful resource for new books if you are on a fixed income. I find that there is not a very long wait for most of the political books, more so for popular fiction.
And if for whatever reason your local library doesn't have it (budget issues / too new / the board is already under the control of the New Fascists and their book-banning policies), ask the librarian about getting it through inter-library loan.

In an unrelated comment, one of my city's branch libraries is being shut down due to cost vs usage and staffing issues.
La Crosse’s South Community Library to close

(the pic is a link — and no, that's not my bike parked in the rack)

I'm sorry to see it.  I used to live about four blocks away — easy walking distance — when I was growing up as a grade-school kid, and I was a frequent patron up until about my junior year in high-school, when I began to utilize the main library downtown.  In fact, I even ended up working there (at the main library) part-time in the '70s as an aide during my latter years in high school and early college career.

The worst part is that the state has a budget surplus and could easily shake loose some funding to alleviate the problem somewhat ... but La Crosse is definitely a blue island within the redness that tints western Wisconsin, so the Republican-controlled legislature sure ain't gonna do that.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

The Financial Chairperson said "Not on your life, buster". So it will have to be the library. I do so love books that I can keep on a shelf. And indeed, one can order any book from the local which will go get 'em from some strange sources. Margaretta got one on Calvin Coolidge from a non-public library via our local geniuses.

And I might even be able to get it via Hoopla (reminder to self: check that out soonest)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:05 pm
The Financial Chairperson said "Not on your life, buster". So it will have to be the library. I do so love books that I can keep on a shelf. And indeed, one can order any book from the local which will go get 'em from some strange sources. Margaretta got one on Calvin Coolidge from a non-public library via our local geniuses.

And I might even be able to get it via Hoopla (reminder to self: check that out soonest)
I just connected with Hoopla, haven’t used it yet. I’m very excited that libraries are doing so many things to accommodate the technophiles, even if I myself still prefer the old fashioned books with real pages which you can leave a teensy drop of curry sauce on for posterity.

Do you know about Kanopy? I found that one about a year ago and I have watched some really brilliant films using it, especially from a great collection of foreign film.

I also love books to keep on the shelf - once upon a time I had a couple thousand. I’ve pared way down - my heart still breaks a little to think of the departed ones - but my current collection includes 6 or more dozen which are unread. I’m one of those with a big appetite for books and who sometimes forgets to read them lol. Now I am very strict about limited new acquisitions and the ones sitting on the shelf unread are always competing with stacks that visit from the library.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:10 pm
Do you know about Kanopy?
I did not. But I do now. Thanks.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Well before he was elected as House speaker, Rep. Mike Johnson, R-La., played a key role in efforts by then-President Donald Trump and his allies to overturn Joe Biden’s electoral victory in the 2020 election.
"The US House of Representatives is now fully, 100% under control of MAGA extremism," she tweeted.

The Progressive Caucus shared a similar post on X, saying that Johnson introduced a national "Don't Say Gay" bill and has advocated cutting Social Security and Medicare.
:arg

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I have been avoiding the news to manage my anxiety but this news actually doesn’t bother me that much. I feel like the MAGA party in full freak show mode in the House of Representatives will be the best campaign material for the Democrat candidates.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Mike Johnson is the new Speaker of the House and now the legal CinC if Biden and Harris are removed. He is on record favoring impeaching them both, on record for supporting Biden's presidential election is a fraud. He promises a new kind of politics and government. I fear he is right. The Sage of Baltimore is happily chomping on his cigar somewhere. The GOP now declares classical conservatives are RINO. The only real Republican is ready to drink the Kool-aide and follow Trump over the cliff into tyranny and personality cult.

snailgate.

rubato

Post by rubato »

I would have more respect for romney if he had not gone and groveled to trump for a cabinet position. Really repulsive conduct.

Yrs,
Rubato