fuck ukraine, support guyana

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
wesw

fuck ukraine, support guyana

Post by wesw »

venezuela, and perhaps brazil, are positioning to in vade and annex guyana.

not in the news?

colour me surprised..., ( i love sarcasm)

sarcasm is what the wrong define as low humour.....

i would offer guyana statehood, immediamente....

even tho they don t speak spanish.....

i respect any country that has thrown off the yoke of the Commonwealth

fuck britain

finally, something worth fighting for.

i am as racist as the next guy but i love me some hindus and some sikhs

MajGenl.Meade

Re: fuck ukraine, support guyana

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Not nice of Venezuela and/or Brazil to grab it. Looking at the map, I foresee a possible move by Venezuela to annex in the north and a responsive move by Brazil to annex from the south to keep the Venezuelans from getting the entire region. But there's nothing of any use in the land itself - so what could Brazil gain? It's the coastal waters off Essequibo that count - and Venezuelan maps show those as Venezuelan waters. Brazil's only interest would have to involve war with Venezuela to drive out the "invaders". Seems very unlikely.
Venezuelans who turned out to vote in a referendum on the status of a disputed oil-rich territory long controlled by Guyana have overwhelmingly backed Venezuela's territorial claim.More than 95% approved establishing a new Venezuelan state in the territory known as Essequibo, officials said.

Guyana, and British Guiana before it, have administered Essequibo for over a century . . . Venezuela has long maintained that a decision taken in 1899 by an international arbitral tribunal to award it to Britain, the colonial power which at the time ruled over Guyana, was unfair.
So wesw, in this matter (reported by the BBC), how do you feel about the possession by (English-speaking) Guyana of what was not originally a part of British Guiana that is merely a consequence of having passed Go in colonial Monopoly? Does this history alter your view?
Venezuela says its territory has extended east to the Essequibo River since the country declared independence from Spain in 1811. Guyana says its ownership began in 1814, when Britain gained control through a treaty with the Netherlands. That treaty, though, left the territory’s western boundary undefined.
Should age-old European spoils-divvying control 21st century borders?

Hmmm?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

wesw

Post by wesw »

yeah, very complicated.

the elephant in the room is, and or are, the oil deposits off the coast of guyana.

reported to be the largest in the world today.

venezuela has the will and brazil has the knowhow.

these aren t the dirty deposits that venezuela can process, these are offshore, clean, deposits that brazil has the infrastructure to exploit.

i only bring up the the history because it nterests me.

the realpolitik is the oil.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:00 pm
Guyana, and British Guiana before it, have administered Essequibo for over a century . . . Venezuela has long maintained that a decision taken in 1899 by an international arbitral tribunal to award it to Britain, the colonial power which at the time ruled over Guyana, was unfair.
So wesw, in this matter (reported by the BBC), how do you feel about the possession by (English-speaking) Guyana of what was not originally a part of British Guiana that is merely a consequence of having passed Go in colonial Monopoly? Does this history alter your view?
Venezuela says its territory has extended east to the Essequibo River since the country declared independence from Spain in 1811. Guyana says its ownership began in 1814, when Britain gained control through a treaty with the Netherlands. That treaty, though, left the territory’s western boundary undefined.
Should age-old European spoils-divvying control 21st century borders?
Again with the British! Those fuckers ruin everything.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Sue U wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:43 am
Again with the British! [they] ruin everything.
Obviously you haven't tried my preparation of thick pork chop, baked potato and (fried) sliced zucchini with onions for dinner

:lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts