Trump Could Have Prevented the Civil War

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Joe Guy

Trump Could Have Prevented the Civil War

Post by Joe Guy »

Trump says Civil War ‘could have been negotiated’

Former President Donald Trump on Saturday suggested the Civil War could have been avoided through “negotiation,” arguing that the fight to end slavery in the US was ultimately unnecessary and that Abraham Lincoln should have done more to avoid bloodshed.

“So many mistakes were made. See, there was something I think could have been negotiated, to be honest with you,” Trump said at a campaign event in Newton, Iowa. “I think you could have negotiated that. All the people died. So many people died.”

The former president’s comments come a little over a week before the first-in-the-nation caucuses in Iowa, where he has a significant lead in the polls over his closest rivals, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley.

The Civil War has emerged as unlikely talking point on the GOP primary trail. More than a week before Trump’s comments, Haley answered a question about the cause of the Civil War without mentioning slavery – the driving force behind the war. She has since backtracked, repeatedly saying she thought the fact went without saying.

Trump’s remarks were not made in response or reference to Haley’s.

In fact, there were a series of efforts before the Civil War began to cut a deal to save the Union. But the future of slavery in the South could not be settled through compromise and the nation went to war with itself. Trump did not say how he would have prevented the conflict, which he also called “so horrible but so fascinating.”

“It was, I don’t know, it was just different,” Trump said of the war. “I just find it – I’m so attracted to seeing it.” [Trump is a stable genius]

After describing the wounds soldiers sustained on the battlefield, Trump said, “There’s nothing nice about it,” adding the war was a “tough one for our country.”

He also suggested that Lincoln would not have the same historical cachet “if he negotiated it.”

GOP former Rep. Liz Cheney slammed Trump’s take on social media, asking how Republicans who have endorsed the former president can “possibly defend this?”

“Which part of the Civil War ‘could have been negotiated’? The slavery part? The secession part? Whether Lincoln should have preserved the Union?” Cheney wrote. “Question for members of the GOP – the party of Lincoln – who have endorsed Donald Trump: How can you possibly defend this?”

Modern Republicans traditionally point to Lincoln as a hero – a Republican hero – for his role in preserving the Union when the South sought to leave the fold rather than end slavery.

Joe Guy

Re: Trump Could Have Prevented the Civil War

Post by Joe Guy »

In other news, a recent quote from Trump....
"Think of it, magnets. Now all I know about magnets is this, give me a glass of water, let me drop it on the magnets, that's the end of the magnets. Why didn't they use John Deere? Why didn't they bring in the John Deere people? Do you like John Deere? I like John Deere."

Which reminded me of........

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

"...over the seas and it comes right over our land and then they want us to have clean, I say wait a minute we didn't we didn't be clean but it’s all flying just remember that does that make sense? In other words, it’s all coming through the currents through the air, it all comes, they can name it, they can say exactly where it's going to be and WHEN."
:roll: :shrug
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Hard for me to believe this stuff quoted here is real. With modern technology, good visual and audio presentations of anybody saying anything is possible.

But IF it is accurate, then I have to paraphrase LE Modessett JR: It is a waste of time to present facts to support an argument. If the person is stupid, facts will not be believed. If the person is smart, they already have their own preferred collections of facts and yours will be rejected where they conflict with theirs.

Given this stuff, how can the other side argue that Biden is too old, mentally? I just went into my kitchen, removed a magnet holding a takeout menu on the refrigerator door; took it to the sink and poured a glass of tap water on it. It did not disappear, dissolve, or seem to change in any way beyond looking shiny. I wiped it off with a paper towel and the magnet was returned to doing its job holding the menu. Perhaps I should have been wearing a John Deere cap (which I don't have) maybe I will try it latter while wearing a red MAGA cap which I do have.

snailgate

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:38 pm
Hard for me to believe this stuff quoted here is real......
The "Magnet" quote is from a video on Twitter of Trump speaking in Iowa

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Didn’t Trump also tell Iowans to ‘get over’ the school shooting that happened not even a week ago?

For all the energy right wing media puts into trying to paint Biden as mentally addled, it’s really Trump who is decompensating by the day.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I didn't have access to this video when I started the thread.....

Rambling Trump....

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:20 pm
Didn’t Trump also tell Iowans to ‘get over’ the school shooting that happened not even a week ago?

For all the energy right wing media puts into trying to paint Biden as mentally addled, it’s really Trump who is decompensating by the day.
Yes but I must say the headline-media was unfair in isolating that remark. He wasn't saying "get over it" in the sense of "snap out of it".

He spoke of the horror of the event, the tragedy of the loss and so on, and wrapped it up by trying to encourage recovery from the shock. Probably his idea of being Lincolnian - the world will little note nor long remember . . . but rather it's for us to continue the work thus nobly begun.

A normal human would have expressed the idea so much better. Tin brain - tin ear
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:23 pm

A normal human would have expressed the idea so much better. Tin brain - tin ear
A normal human would have said, "Maybe it's finally time we actually did something about the gun problem in this country."
GAH!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:23 pm
Sue U wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:19 am
A normal human would have said, "Maybe it's finally time we actually did something about the gun problem in this country."
A "normal" republican would lose the support of his party if he said that.