Birtherism is back

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Birtherism is back

Post by Scooter »

Trump Again Suggests Non-White Candidate Isn't Eligible For Presidency

Former President Donald Trump is again claiming that a non-white candidate with immigrant parents isn't eligible to run for president.

On Monday (January 8), Trump claimed on his Truth Social account that GOP presidential candidate Nikki Haley is disqualified from being president because “reports indicate that her parents were not U.S. citizens at the time of her birth in 1972," per HuffPost.

Trump made the claim despite Haley, who has immigrant parents from India, being born in South Carolina.

It's the same accusation Trump previously lodged against former President Barack Obama, Vice President Kamala Harris and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas.).

Trump fueled conspiracy theories that Obama, a Hawaii native, was instead born in Kenya. Trump infamously demanded Obama provide a copy of his birth certificate to prove his place of birth, which the former president did.
In 2016, Haley, the governor of South Carolina at the time, even joked that Trump would make the same claim against her.

“Even though I gave the [State of the Union] response, I won’t really feel like I made it until Donald Trump demands to see my birth certificate,” Haley said the annual Gridiron Dinner in Washington.

In August 2020, Trump posed similar questions about Harris' citizenship even though she was born in Oakland, California. Trump tried to claim that Cruz, whose mother was born in America and whose Cuban father was born in Canada, was also disqualified from running for president in 2016.
This is just a shot across the bow; I predict another Trump administration will attempt to declare entire swaths of people non-citizens, in defiance of the 14th Amendment.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Re: Birtherism is back

Post by Joe Guy »

Does that mean you’re predicting another Trump administration?

Say it ain’t so, Nostrascooteris!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:12 am
Does that mean you’re predicting another Trump administration?

Say it ain’t so, Nostrascooteris!
I hate to say it, but I'm afraid the best hope for keeping Trump out of the Oval Office would be for him to have a massive coronary during one of his rants and he kicks the bucket (from my lips to God's ear!).   Otherwise, I'm afraid there's a better than 50-50 chance that Trump ends up in the White House again.   It has something to do with the power of stupid people in large groups.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

What an ass. :roll:

Next thing, he'll want the right to revoke citizenship of "undesirables" followed by opening the detention camps again, this time for the undesirable non-citizens. All we can hope is that he is not elected (or, failing that, that the Supreme Court will leave up to its duty and not rubber stamp his rantings). The generally has lived up to its duty in the past, and I have a lot more confidence in the intelligence and belief in the constitutional rule of law of USSC justices than I do in him. What's next, a MAGA Constitutional convention? I have been tired of this clown for a long time, but not it's time to send out the clowns.

eta: FWIW, I do think the USSC ruled on this in the late 1800s and ruled children born in the US are birthright citizens; using a combination of common law and an analysis of the amendment history. One consequence, as I recall, is that enslaved persons born in the US (or even the CSA during the war) were citizens. This should guide any decision. If I get a chance, I will try to look at the opinion.
Last edited by Big RR on Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought.
To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears.
To be led by a fool is to be led by the opportunists who control the fool.
To be led by a thief is to offer up your most precious treasures to be stolen.
To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies.
To be led by a tyrant is to sell yourself and those you love into slavery.

~Octavia Butler
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I think if he does try that, even this court will say 'Stop right there - you can't do that.'

Mind you, if he does, I will be first in line to claim back all the taxes I have paid over the past 40 years. Should be enough to set me up wherever I want to live.