Biden an “elderly man with a poor memory.”

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

Biden an “elderly man with a poor memory.”

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I think Biden has done a good job and probably a bit more than I expected of him. But this report by the Special Counsel (on Biden's retention of classified documents) could well be devastating. If Biden were in a box and running against Trump or, frankly, any one of the current GOP crop of candidates and ex-candidates, I'd vote for him in the hope that the faint whiff of democracy would somehow survive. Democrats need to come out with a plan and fast.

I don't know enough about Harris because she does not seem to have created a persona of her own. Whether that's her fault or Biden's - for not giving her a real job - I don't know. I think that the model of a VP with a real function as exemplified by Clinton, Bush 2.0 and Obama died, as did many things, under Trump. And yes, although I by no means agreed with what he and Cheney did, I think Bush got that one little thing right. (Blind pig, acorn, etc.)

BoSoxGal

Re: Biden an “elderly man with a poor memory.”

Post by BoSoxGal »

Of course Biden is forgetful, and he’s always been a gaffe machine. But the handling and content of the special counsel’s report stinks of politics in my opinion. https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/ag-specia ... =107004130

Trump is every bit as forgetful as Biden and a total idiot on policy, whereas anyone fairly assessing Biden and watching him field questions on far ranging topics can see he knows the substance and he obviously has highly competent staff working behind him.

As someone who suffered very significant cognitive issues that were related to neurological health, and has worked for years with elders who suffer memory issues, this whole conversation infuriates me more than a little. The brain changes with age and while certain things can slip that doesn’t automatically mean that major cognitive function is impaired, and neuroscience has established that elders are more competent than younger people by certain measures too - wisdom really does come with age. I see some mild deficits in Biden but the right wing drumbeat that he is senile or out to lunch is sickening when held against the pathological malignant narcissist they are running behind.

/rant
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... al-counsel

They interviewed him as he was handling all the usual onerous workload of a United States president and also the immediate aftermath of the attack in Israel and subsequent military actions. Of course he had a shitload on his mind and foremost was not details about documents he kept from his VP tenure.

Robert Hur is another shitlord Republican, shame on him.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I don't disagree that it is politics; and Robert Hur - the Special Counsel - knew exactly what he was doing. Truth left the building a long time ago and perception is what matters. This is a disaster for Biden.

We have a world in which huge portions of the population believe that the Covid vaccination makes you magnetic and/or infertile; that Trump was sent by God; and that his history of sexual crimes and tax evasion is just naughty boy antics. The November election was always going to be close and I believed that Biden/Harris would make it, albeit by the skin of their teeth. I am no longer sure of that.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:40 am
We have a world in which huge portions of the population believe ... that Trump was sent by God...
Ever read the book of Job from the Bible?   Look at what God sent him to try his faith.
If Trump was in fact sent by God and not Beelzebub, I think he was sent to test us, just like He sent all the torments and misfortunes to test Job.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

God didn't send Job any tests. He allowed Satan to do the testing. Therefore, Trump is doing Satan's bidding.

With my 5-point hat on, of course God does not evade responsibility.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I am not surprised that Biden has cognitive problems given his age and the pressure cooker he works in; while he has, as Andy points out, done reasonably well in the past 3 years (thereabouts) , this does concern me because someone like that could ultimately cede too much power to his staff--like we saw with Reagan (and even Wilson going back). This is especially a concern as the VP is pretty much an unknown (not sure why, but she has not been involved very much, at least openly, so removal could also be a problem. FWIW, I have serious concerns about the next 4 years with him at the helm.

That being said, with all my concerns, I think reelection of Trump would be a big disaster, and I don't see any of the republicans I could support over Biden. so, despite my concerns, I will still vote for Biden.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Biden is a doddering old man in an advancing state of senility.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Jaraxle, I wish Pee Wee Herman was still around to daily ask Trump "and what are you?"

Sad days. Come next November, the American voters are going to vote. They will chose one who neither the majority of GOP or Dem voters really want to be their president.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:50 pm
Biden is a doddering old man in an advancing state of senility.
While I realize you’ve gone full MAGA conspiracy nuts, this is a shameful lie.

I’ve spent almost a decade working with persons in various stages of dementia and am far more qualified to assess Biden’s cognitive capacity - as is the White House doctor.

You should be ashamed of yourself but like most MAGA morons you clearly have come to lack any such capacity, which is really too bad.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

You can't believe that. It's not possible.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Says the one who voted for the guy who described reciting "person, woman, man, camera, TV" and identifying pictures of a giraffe and a whale as a "very difficult" test.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I don't believe Biden is anywhere near being senile. He has always had problems speaking and has made some goofy statements. Back when he was elected I knew he was going to be an easy target because he has always been known for his gaffes. Then there's Trump, who now blames Nancy Pelosi for the Jan 6th insurrection and has made many statements that make absolutely no sense. Does that make Trump senile? I don't think so. But it certainly doesn't make him a better selection than Biden for president.

I'd like to be able to choose 'None of the above" and force each party to come up with someone better qualified from each party. But until then, I'd prefer to have a president who isn't a malignant narcissist fraud committing rapist who is out on bond awaiting trial for 91 felonies.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Joe Guy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:25 pm
Then there's Trump, who now blames Nancy Pelosi for the Jan 6th insurrection ...
He now blames Nikki Haley for the insurrection. Try to keep up.

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Scooter wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:36 pm
He now blames Nikki Haley for the insurrection. Try to keep up.
I was referring to this more current Trump bumble....

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Joe Guy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:25 pm
I'd like to be able to choose 'None of the above" and force each party to come up with someone better qualified from each party.
And yet, I would challenge you to tell us, who from the Democrat party is more qualified than Joseph R. Biden to be president at this moment in history?

Assuming by qualified, we aren't talking about photogenic, youthful, and smooth talking.

The fact is, Biden has accomplished more for working people than any presidents since Roosevelt and LBJ, and he has done so in unparalleled times of partisan strife.

Of course he isn't perfect, none of them are - but I doubt very much that anybody else could have accomplished what Biden has accomplished, using a lifetime of political wisdom and relationships built over the long game.

If I believed in a god, I would be thanking her daily for Biden's choice to run in 2020 and praying to her for his continued good health. As it is now clear that Trump will be the candidate of the MAGA party, we have before us the fate of our entire democracy and there is no time to spend wishing a prettier and younger candidate would enter from stage left.

I have to believe that young people see what is at stake in this election, just as they saw it in 2020. There are 81 million of us vermin who would be extinguished in whatever ways possible if MAGA takes the WH back in November.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:08 am
And yet, I would challenge you to tell us, who from the Democrat party is more qualified than Joseph R. Biden to be president at this moment in history?
It might be impossible to find anyone with more experience than Biden but there are politicians that might fit the role better and inspire more confidence.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

As a resident of Delaware since 1972, I claim some knowledge and subjective experience with and about the current President of the United State of America. Joe Biden is a superb staff man and a second rate leader. I have not changed my opinion during the last four years.

I have not adequate objective or subjective information to develop a belief that a particular other Democrat pol would be a better President than Biden. I truly hope such exists. Damn near any human being who is not a Trumper would be better than an additional term with the Donald.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"Leftist" media

-- Author unknown