This week in schadenfreude

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

This week in schadenfreude

Post by Scooter »

Rudy Giuliani Blasts Trump Campaign over Failure to Pay Him

Rudy Giuliani, Donald Trump's former personal attorney, said this week he is owed $2 million in legal fees from the former president's campaign.

Speaking at a New York bankruptcy court hearing on Wednesday, Giuliani said Trump's campaign team never paid him for work he did after the November 2020 election, when was trying to prove baseless claims that Trump lost the race to President Joe Biden because of widespread voter fraud.

Giuliani, a former New York City mayor, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in December 2023 shortly after he was ordered to pay $148 million in defamation damages to Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss. The two former Georgia election workers were targeted by Giuliani and Trump supporters in connection with the election fraud claims.

Giuliani said during the meeting with his creditors at the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York that his claim about the money he is owed is against the Trump campaign and the Republican National Campaign, not against Trump himself, Bloomberg Law reported.

"At that point, [Trump] had a tremendous number of complaints that there had been fraud in the election," Giuliani told the court, according to a Mediaite report. "He asked me to lead that effort."

He continued: "Once I took over, it was my understanding that I would be paid by the campaign for my legal work and my expenses to be paid. (what gave you the idea that you would be treated any better than other creditors Trump had stiffed?) When we submitted the invoice for payment, they just paid the expenses. Not all but most. They never paid the legal fees."

Giuliani said the legal work fees he is allegedly owed could prove critical as he tries to resolve his personal bankruptcy situation.

Trump's campaign team has been contacted for comment via email.

n addition to bankruptcy, Giuliani is facing a host of financial difficulties. Last September, Robert Costello, his former lawyer, sued him over claims the former mayor owes him more than $1.36 million in unpaid legal fees.

The same month, Hunter Biden, the president's son, sued Giuliani and Costello over claims they carried out a "total annihilation" of his privacy after accessing and sharing personal data recovered from his laptop, which had been left at a repair shop in Delaware.

Giuliani is also being sued by Noelle Dunphy, a former employee who alleges Giuliani sexually abused her and owes her $2 million in back wages. Giuliani has denied the allegations.

In a statement, Ted Goodman, a spokesman for Giuliani, said the former mayor is the victim of political persecution.

"The only reason we're here today is because Mayor Rudy Giuliani has the courage to speak up and take on the permanent Washington political class, and he refuses to be unfairly censored or bullied into silence," Goodman said.
The reason you're here today is that you chose to work with a huckster, and you stupidly imagined that somehow he would treat you better than he treated everyone else.

Too bad, so sad.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Re: This week in schadenfreude

Post by BoSoxGal »

Meanwhile Trump was threatening to sic Russia on the NATO countries who ‘don’t pay up,’ exhorting them that ‘c’mon, you’ve gotta pay your bills!’
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Re: This week in schadenfreude

Post by Burning Petard »

That is part of Trump's charisma -- he famous for being so generous and loyal to his underlings and always pays his bills before they come due.

As I listened to the Supremes about the 14th amendment on the radio last week, there was lots of talk about participation in insurrection, not so much about giving aid and comfort. Now that former and perhaps future CinC of the US military announced that he would not support our NATO allies unless they showed him the money first, I wonder how HE defines 'aid and comfort to the enemy' , the constitutional definition of treason?

I suppose if he supports them then they cannot be the enemy. Sort of a corollary of Dick Cheney's definition of torture. We don't do torture. If we do it, it ain't torture.

snailgate.