Watching SOTU

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

Watching SOTU

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I wish they'd get rid of this inane procession up the aisle. Now, of course, with selfies at every juncture.

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Watching SOTU

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

God the Joint Chiefs look so young.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

CNN have a slight disconnect of sound and picture. I'm guessing the picture is 0.1 seconds ahead of the sound. I don't know if that is CNN's fault or whether they have some joint feed.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Biden is looking good. 30 minutes in he's had a couple of slight verbal misses but that's the way he has been for the last 40 years. Someone just shouted 'Liar!' or what sounded like it. I expect we will hear about it later.

Edited to correct a typo.
Last edited by ex-khobar Andy on Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

He's right about insulin. One of my heroes when I was young and growing up in Canada, was Frederick Banting the Canadian doctor who discovered the link between diabetes and insulin. He sold the patent to the University of Toronto for $1 because he knew how it would be a lifesaver. Those who make it for $10 and sell it for $400 are thieves and psychopaths.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Biden sounds great! MTG looks like a fool with that MAGA hat on. Trump is probably haven't having a conniption fit. I'm sure he will make a fool out of himself again later on on his website when he tries to make Biden look bad.

edited for grammar.
Last edited by Joe Guy on Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Still looking good. I think he has the right balance talking about Gaza. Even Mike Johnson stood up and clapped, instead of just looking as if he wishes he were not there.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I think he has done himself a world of good by this speech. He has done far, far more than beat low expectations.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I agree. He certainly didn't act like the bewildered elderly man that republicans accuse him of being.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I'm watching the Republican response. Apparently the Mexican coyotes rape their victims. Yes, and I am not denying that and the horror of it. But exactly how does Biden's border policy (thwarted of course by Trump) affect that. And 'prices are through the roof' - yes there has been inflation but for those of us who lived through the 70s it is almost negligible.

And most of the fentanyl coming through the border is through US citizens bringing it in trucks.

'Americans' word doesn't mean what it used to.' Tell that to NATO.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

O the evils on the border. The good Senator from Alabama is so wise. That is why she voted against the border reform bill she sponsored. She seemed so upset tonite about the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan, forgetting somehow it was Trump who commanded it would be done by that date. Yes that is a good question-- When did Biden last pump gas or push a grocery cart? Indeed when did Trump? Was it even in this century? Am I better off now than I was three years ago? Well first thing I notice is that I am not wearing a mask like I was three years ago, and my wife was not dead, like she is now.

I am cheering that Biden will lower my cost for Eliquis. I just wish he and his extended family took better care of their dogs.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I started watching, dozed off and then watched the end and was so inspired I rewound and watched it all over again.

Joe did terrific! The usual verbal tongue twists and of course he’s being attacked for mashing Laken Riley’s name but it sounded right to me. Stupid attack because they can’t really attack his message.

Serious kudos to the team who wrote the speech with him and to him for an energetic delivery and for thinking on his feet and engaging the Republicans with humor - he made them look foolish.

Mike Johnson tried to make faces and shake his head but honestly most of the time you could see he agreed with much that was said - I hope he’s not a poker player he’d lose his shirt.

I’m actually feeling inspired and hopeful. I haven’t written to a president since I was 10 years old but I was thinking maybe I should write to Joe. He’s done a real good job and takes it on the chin endlessly, even from his own voters.

Seeing snailgate’s post I have to add - of course Trump has never pumped gas or pushed a grocery cart, not once in his life. But Joe took the Amtrak train home every night for years to tuck his boys into bed and I’m fair sure he bought them some groceries now and again, too.

The Bidens are good hearted people who sadly had a real good GSD and then tried to get another one while living in a setting that just isn’t conducive to socializing such a reactionary breed. Twice. If anything, this stumble just affirms what softhearted people they are. The dogs are well taken care of, just not with them anymore. I can’t fault them for wanting the comfort of a dog while living such high pressure lives. If I was a better more generous person I would let them have my impeccably behaved border collie mix with the freckled face that makes her so cute strangers stop us to tell me all the time. She might single-pawedly win him reelection! But I need her here with me, so nope.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

OMG this Republican response is MORONIC. It sickens me to know there are millions of MAGAts lapping it up.

Shame on her and the Republicans generally for politicizing sexual violence against women which transcends all nationalities and is rampant in this country among native born Americans of every color.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I'm financially better off than I was three years ago. I'm on SS which has gone up more or less with inflation. Gas is a very small part of my budget so it could double and I really would not care. My IRA rises pretty much with the stock market so it's doing well, thanks.

I absolutely recognize that many are not doing well. Rent; or gas if you are working and have to travel and public transportation is just not there; and the price of Five Guys burgers is through the roof. But restaurants I go to occasionally I see entrees go from $20 to $22 and a beer going from $5 to $6 - for those of us who saw inflation during the 1970s this is inflation's little brother.

Edited to clarify that I am financially better off than I was three years ago which is the question Republicans seem eager to ask.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Katie Britt giving the response from her kitchen - the message was either "I can't be bothered to move my ass somewhere more appropriate" or "this is where I believe a woman's place to be, first, last and always."

Or maybe it was a bit of both.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Katie Britt?

I thought that was Katie Stepford.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Biden's age.jpg
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Scooter wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:39 am
Katie Britt giving the response from her kitchen - the message was either "I can't be bothered to move my ass somewhere more appropriate" or "this is where I believe a woman's place to be, first, last and always."

Or maybe it was a bit of both.
I didn't know that she was on the short list to be Trump's VP candidate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/07/us/p ... ponse.html

Boggle boggle. I have a problem with people who have learned how to speak while continually smiling when the speech and the smile are at odds. See Joel Osteen for perhaps the premier exponent of this art.

Ms Britt would have us believe that hers is an average family that sits around the dinner table worrying about the price of eggs and immigration etc. Ms Britt is a senator earning $174K per year. She has been an active attorney. Ms Britt's husband was for a while a 'football' player with the New England Patriots and is currently a lobbyist. I am not knocking attorneys or lobbyists (does anyone else want that one?) but I seriously doubt that they face the economic distress of many Alabama families.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Biden was as good as I have seen him in a long time; let's hope he can keep up the enthusiasm and provide some more details on his plans as the campaign progresses. The republican response was pretty staged and simplistic, but I imagine it scored well with its intended audience--the Haley supporters. Notice the absence of any mention of Trump and his bellowing inanity--just a "reasoned" discussion if the points that might well attract them--law and order and immigration, coupled with a mention of the Alabama IVF legislation to show how "reasonable: republicans are. I imagie it won a few converts although likely (hopefully) less than Biden got.

And Andy, I agree re the walk in; I also can't stand the cheerleading (and now jeering) that occurs during the speeches--I have avoided the SOTU for a good number of years just because of that. This is supposed to be a government speech, not a pep or campaign rally; but I think this is what the people want, although, for the life of me, I don't know why.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:32 pm
Ms Britt would have us believe that hers is an average family that sits around the dinner table worrying about the price of eggs and immigration etc. Ms Britt is a senator earning $174K per year. She has been an active attorney. Ms Britt's husband was for a while a 'football' player with the New England Patriots and is currently a lobbyist. I am not knocking attorneys or lobbyists (does anyone else want that one?) but I seriously doubt that they face the economic distress of many Alabama families.
When she said that that kitchen table was "where my husband Wesley and I worry," I had to turn it off and go throw up. Rich white lady says what?!!?!?! Her half-whispered delivery was cringe-worthy enough, but it was her hypocrisy that was just too revolting to bear.
GAH!