There will be a bloodbath if Trump loses in November

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

There will be a bloodbath if Trump loses in November

Post by BoSoxGal »

Or so he claims.

Meanwhile, there are these people: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... order-sacr
Christian nationalist prayers

An April 2021 email Yenor sent to his wife’s work address has an attached PDF – “SACR-prayers”. The document features a “long prayer – formal and inaugural occasions” and a “short prayer – regular meetings”.

The long prayer draws biblical and historical parallels for SACR’s activities: “May God unite us in this mission as Joshua’s men when they defeated the mighty walls of Jericho, as Nehemiah’s men who rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem, as St Constantine’s men when they conquered in the sign of the cross. May the light of Christendom be restored in our homeland, and may America not fall to those who hate God.”

Brad Onishi is the author of Preparing for War, a critical account of Christian nationalism, the host of the Straight White American Jesus podcast, and an academic with appointments at UC Berkeley and the University of San Francisco. He is also a self-described former Christian nationalist.

In a telephone conversation he said that the prayers include “coded” references that may function as justifications of violence.

Explaining the reference to the story of the conquest of Jericho in the book of Joshua, Onishi said: “What happens when the walls fall down? Joshua’s men go in and kill everyone: men, children, women, animals.

“It’s an attempted genocide, right?”

“In that prayer they’re saying we’re Joshua’s men. We’re the type of men who trust God,” Onishi added.

“And when God, when God gives us the signal, we’re going to go kill everybody. That’s what we do.”
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Re: There will be a bloodbath if Trump loses in November

Post by Big RR »

I would be more concerned about a "christian nationalist" uprising than a Trump-inspired one. Sure, Trump has his supporters (and even rabid ones), but the best way to stir people to action is to use religion as an excuse for (or even more a call for) the excesses--it's been that way throughout history. I doubt armies would be raised, but we may have our own outbreak of backpack bombers, etc. I don't see a bloodbath, but there could well be blood. And, even though they should, some so-called christian churches will not condemn this and hold their tongues in daring to criticize these actions (just as they don't condemn abortion clinic bombings, gay bashing...).

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I'm pretty sure that if I said - and just to be clear I am not saying this - that I'm just waiting for the call and then I'd kill everyone, I'd be locked up.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Coding the reference to violence might help, however. And religion (especially christianity) somehow always gets a pass. I doubt you could walk around singing Onward Moslem Soldiers, or have Jewish Deliverance [instead of Salvation] Army without some trouble. FWIW, a number of years back I recall a plane crashed and the copilot (who was moslem) prayed a prayer in arabic as it was going down--many said that was proof that he was crashing the plane on purpose--somehow, I doubt praying a christian prayer would get the same suspicion.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I despise Christian Nationalism - it is anti-Christ. And I don't doubt that some / many of its adherents think that Jan 6 was justified and failed to succeed as it should have and will be prepared to act out again violently when Trump loses.

But I find the comment suggesting that this "prayer" is a coded message calling for everyone to be killed to be shrill and rather gormless.

“May God unite us in this mission as Joshua’s men when they defeated the mighty walls of Jericho, as Nehemiah’s men who rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem, as St Constantine’s men when they conquered in the sign of the cross. May the light of Christendom be restored in our homeland, and may America not fall to those who hate God.”

So we have an invasion of another country (not a 10-16 domestic), a building project and a legitimate Emperor fighting (outnumbered) against the rebel Maxentius. If Nehemiah's bricks and mortar are a call for killing . . . I'd be surprised. Strange code that.

Noted: Since "those who hate God" are the christian Nationalists, I hope that prayer is answered.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:46 pm
Coding the reference to violence might help, however. And religion (especially christianity) somehow always gets a pass. I doubt you could walk around singing Onward Moslem Soldiers, or have Jewish Deliverance [instead of Salvation] Army without some trouble. FWIW, a number of years back I recall a plane crashed and the copilot (who was moslem) prayed a prayer in arabic as it was going down--many said that was proof that he was crashing the plane on purpose--somehow, I doubt praying a christian prayer would get the same suspicion.
Onward Moslem Soldiers . . . that's English, silly! So you know there are no Arabic songs in a similar vein do you? You know (I suppose) that the Christian soldiers are marching against the foe Satan and it's not a call for war against humanity?

At the sign of triumph
Satan's host doth flee;
On, then, Christian soldiers,
on to victory!
Hell's foundations quiver
at the shout of praise

The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination. And I'm sure you know of the numerous Islamic and Jewish charities in the USA and their names don't seem to be causes of trouble.

:nana
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Not sure about the theology of all this. I thought hell was a set piece and 'we' are not trying to make its foundations quiver by shouting at it, 'we' are just trying to keep people out of the place by making sure they don't do murder, ass coveting, adultery and graven images. That sort of thing.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:42 am
Not sure about the theology of all this. I thought hell was a set piece and 'we' are not trying to make its foundations quiver by shouting at it, 'we' are just trying to keep people out of the place by making sure they don't do murder, ass coveting, adultery and graven images. That sort of thing.
It's one of these

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

the Christian soldiers are marching against the foe Satan and it's not a call for war against humanity
Perhaps, but I'm sure that's what the moslems would say as well--they are fighting satan and his minions, not humanity.

As for the Salvation Army, I am commenting more on the name than what it does; I still maintain that many in the Western world would react violently against any organization called Mohammed's Army, whether it was well-intentioned or not. Many would immediately see it as a terrorist organization without looking into it further--much like the copilot praying a moslem prayer when facing imminent death is seen as proof of terrorist intent, rather than seeking comfort from his maker.

My point is not what the organizations or slogans/songs do or mean, but how they will be perceived--I have respect for what the Salvation Army does, and while I am not a fan of the song Onward Christian Soldiers, I have no great animus against it.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

After going thru this thread, I am reminded of GB Shaw's Major Barbara and his introduction for that play. There is always more to the story. My particular faith community removed 'Onward Christian Soldiers' from our hymnal in 1981, 'Battle Hymn of the Republic' in 1956.

"Glory, glory, It's a helluva way to die."

snailgate.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Interesting; as I recall, Onward Christian Soldiers was not sung in churches I was part of since the early 60s (not sure if it was still in the hymnal) and I never recall singing Battle Hymn (although it might have been presented in some choir concerts I was part of--I'm not sure). However, I do recall singing the Navy Hymn at Memorial Days services.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

The actual desk at which "Onward Christian Solders" was written by.... you knew it, right?.... the Reverend Sabine Baring-Gould. Preserved in his home, the (former) Lew Trenchard Manor, Okehampton, Devon - now an hotel and restaurant, both very expensive.

er, the lady is not my wife. Just a good friend. And my wife and the lady's husband were in the same room, out of shot. We were waiting to have dinner together. All four of us.

And at grammar school in Dover, Kent we sang both Onward and Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory (your battle hymn) but to a modified tune that doesn't sound like JB's Body.

wesw

Post by wesw »

i play a helluva arrangment of, "Mary don t you weep", on classical guitar

alot of e chords g chords and a chords, with a bit of d

ten fingers flying, brother

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Me, I am afraid there will be a blood bath if the Donald IS elected President and CinC. snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Morning Joe did a piece with the makers of this documentary this morning. I wanted to share the trailer and it seems to fit in this thread.

https://youtu.be/llMxoWBSo3w?si=GWn_a51IFfPl30Pw
~ Carl Sagan