Hard times in politics

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Gob

Hard times in politics

Post by Gob »

In his flimsy defence, he was bored.

Unfortunately for Florida Senator Mike Bennett, that's just not a good enough reason to be looking at pictures of topless women while on the Senate floor. Especially not while using his state-issued computer. And especially not while a colleague is arguing that the law currently being debated is 'disrespectful towards women'.

Even if you do get caught in such a situation, you really shouldn't threaten the reporter who ran the story - trust us, it is just going to make matters worse.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... floor.html
It will certainly be more interesting than a meeting to discuss pot-holes and bus shelters. And as councillors, they know the importance of getting out and pressing the flesh.

But a local authority has been criticised for agreeing to fund a 12 strong delegation to go on a 'fact-finding' mission - to lap-dancing clubs. The conscientious licensing committee from Cornwall Council will visit a series of strip clubs so they can see, up close and personal, what occurs inside the venues, in a move which could cost thousands of pounds.

The precise number of poles to be examined and scantily clad women to be met has yet to be finalised, but the council has defended its thorough approach to researching the controversial clubs.

Committee chairman Jim Flashman, 61, said: 'We want to find out how these businesses operate, how safe they are, whether the businesses are considerate neighbours, and who the sorts of people are that use these premises. 'I have never had the need to go to a lap-dancing club, so I really don't have any idea what goes on in them, or what impact they might have on their neighbourhoods. Hopefully this trip will do that.'

Fellow male committee member, councillor Scott Mann, said although he had previously visited a lap-dancing club, it was necessary to speak to management staff at the site visit. The 32-year-old said: 'I have never had a dance at a club, and likewise I have never spoken to management about how the businesses are run. 'I want to do the best for this county, and so I want to make sure I am as well-informed as possible about issues which will have an impact on a lot of people.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z0n6J9I3h3

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”