Blow Job Bill is a Prize

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Gob

Blow Job Bill is a Prize

Post by Gob »

Though a prize what I'm not sure.
There are many ways to pay off campaign debts — cajoling phone calls, begging letters — but Bill Clinton believes that he has come up with a better method to wipe out the financial obligations outstanding from his wife’s failed presidential bid.

He is raffling himself. In an e-mail sent to millions of people who supported Hillary Clinton’s White House campaign, the former President asks: “How would you like the chance to come up to New York and spend the day with me?” For those who would like the One-Day-With-Bill prize, an online donation of as little as $5 (£3) will buy them the chance.

By 2007, seven years after leaving the White House, the Clintons had earned a combined $109 million (£73 million) through speaking engagements and bestselling memoirs. Even so, apparently they would prefer American voters to settle Mrs Clinton’s remaining $771,000 debt rather than paying it themselves.

“Hillary’s campaign still has a few vestiges of debt that I know she would like to see paid in full. Will you reach out today to help Hillary this one last time?” Mr Clinton asks. In her marathon battle against Barack Obama Mrs Clinton’s debts peaked at $25.2 million. More than $13 million of that she lent to her own campaign — a huge sum that she will never recoup.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 124638.ece
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

The Hen

Re: Blow Job Bill is a Prize

Post by The Hen »

God that sounds so sad and desperate. I am almost considering sending him some cash so he can get some dignity.

:D
Bah!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

he's a politician he's never had any dignity
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Or principles.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

First of all, "A Day With . . ." is a standard fundraising technique and has been very successful for HRC in the past. Second, as Secretary of State she herself cannot raise money to pay off these debts under the Hatch Act, nor can she just pay them off herself. Her own money, which she lent to the campaign ($13MM), was never repaid, nor can it be under the campaign finance laws (there are short deadlines for re-paying those kinds of loans).

So tell me why, please, is it desperate, undignified, or unprincipled to see that the vendors who provided good and services to HRC's campaign get paid? Many campaigns just leave these bills unpaid --although then they can be declared illegal campaign contributions (violating the giving limits). John Glenn owed money after his failed Presidential campaign for over 20 years, and it took the FEC to cancel the debt for him. Others from this last cycle still owing money include Guiliani, Dodd, Biden, and Richardson. At least the Clintons are actively trying to get it paid off.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I have no problem with it Guin, but then I'd never pay a penny for a chance to spend time with him; I had quite enough of him as president and have no desire to see or hear him anymore (indeed, i can't think of any ex-presidents, other than Carter (and that's only recently, not in 1980), that I would really care to see).

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Fair enough BigRR, but your dislike of him doesn't mean that the email is unprincipled or undignified. I just got one yesterday from the Dems offering the chance to win a flight to San Francisco and lunch with the President and Senator Boxer, if I contribute to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

No, I didn't mean the offer is unprincipled. That being said, it is sad, IMHO, to see an ex-president (any ex-president) hawkinf his notoriety, however good the cause. He's not Tom Cruise or Miley Cyrus, he's an ex-president.

Actually, though, I do have trouble with money buying access to a sitting president and senator. Granted it's a raffle, but I still don't like it.
Last edited by Big RR on Fri May 14, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

I don't really care for Bill, quite a lot actually, but I would not pass up a chance to spend a day with him. He has held a position few can brag about and it would be absolutely fascinating to bend his ear for a day.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I agree with @w - I'd even spend a day with Dubya, probably. Just to hear what he has to say for himself.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Rick

Post by Rick »

Irony...
Sometimes it seems as though one has to cross the line just to figger out where it is

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I'm not seeing the irony, Keld.

Bill Clinton is an incredibly charismatic and interesting person. No matter what you think of him, you have to meet him in person once, truly. You'll never forget it.

I'm not so sure he's hawking his notariety. He's helping out his wife -- if you thought your personality would help bring in donations to help out your spouse, wouldn't you do it?

That article is so absolutely incorrect and biased, it just infuriates me. You'd think the Times might actually do some research first before making such accusatory statements.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

you're not looking hard enough
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'm not so sure he's hawking his notariety. He's helping out his wife -- if you thought your personality would help bring in donations to help out your spouse, wouldn't you do it?
Well I'll agree he's hawking his notoriety to help pay off his wife's campaign debt (ahich is not a bad thing), but even if he were doing it for a worthy charity I personally don't think an ex-president should do this sort of thing. Giving speeches is one thing, but win a date/spend the day with Bill Clinton is something that I don't think becomes an ex president, however good or bad company he might be.

Gob

Post by Gob »

@meric@nwom@n wrote:I don't really care for Bill, quite a lot actually, but I would not pass up a chance to spend a day with him. He has held a position few can brag about and it would be absolutely fascinating to bend his ear for a day.

"Must not bite, must not bite,,,,"
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

dales

Post by dales »

Bill Clinton is hick white trash.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

rubato

Post by rubato »

Big RR wrote:Or principles.

The only principle which matters is to leave office with the country better off than he found it.

And he succeeded at that.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

He was much liked outside of the US, and did a lot for international relations.

But, there again, we like blow jobs :)

Gob

Post by Gob »

I briefly met Bill Clinton once. I looked him in the eye and said "hello" in a voice that I hoped embodied my intelligence, creative pursuits, humanitarian interests, economic prowess, mothering instincts and political acumen. And he looked at my cleavage, said "hi" and walked on.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-a ... -v5ef.html
Ermm.... wearing something that shows your cleavage in front of any man is a guaranteed distraction to us, so what's you point?

rubato

Post by rubato »

" I tore open my blouse and shook my full firm young breasts at him AND HE LOOKED. The bastard! "

yrs,
rubato