Military casualties

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Gob

Military casualties

Post by Gob »

Suicide among US troops has sharply increased this year, hitting a rate of almost one death per day, figures show.

As of 3 June, the army's 2012 active-duty suicides reached 154, compared with 130 in the same period last year, the Pentagon confirmed to the BBC.

The number far exceeds US combat deaths for the same period.

"We are deeply concerned about suicide in the military," a Pentagon spokeswoman said, adding it was "one of the most urgent problems" they faced.

While the reasons for the increase are not entirely understood, the army's own data suggest soldiers with multiple combat tours are at greater risk. But a portion of those taking their own life have never deployed, the figures show.

Suicide among troops had levelled off during 2010 and 2011, but 2012 has seen the fastest pace since the US war in Afghanistan began in 2001.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18371377
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Military casualties

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I'm trying to figure out how 154 equals "almost one death per day"

What a sad thing this is
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

As of 3 June, ie. six months into the year.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:I'm trying to figure out how 154 equals "almost one death per day"

What a sad thing this is
You have to count the days up to june 3rd, which is approximately 155 days based on my quick math calculation.

If i'm anywhere near correct, almost one death per day is fairly accurate.

dales

Post by dales »

and sad, and in most cases needless.

ETA: I was responding to the fact that service people were comminting suicide rather than obtaining mental health services.
Last edited by dales on Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Oh duh! :oops:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Those are only Army figures, too.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan