Super Seismic Me

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Re: Super Seismic Me

Post by Gob »

Earthquake hits Adelaide Hills April 17, 2010 - 7:46AM

A small earthquake has hit the Adelaide Hills.

The tremor registered a magnitude of about 4 and hit in the area in the city's north-east at about 11.30pm (CST) yesterday, but was felt as far as 50km away from its epicentre, Geoscience Australia seismologist David Jepsen said.

Earthquakes: are we getting more?

No one was injured and the tremor is not believed to have caused any significant damage, he said.

However emergency services received a lot of phone calls from anxious people all over Adelaide and nearby towns that had felt the tremor.

"The event would have lasted 2-3 seconds and would have been felt as strong shaking, the severity depending on what they were doing at the time," he said.

"This is the earth doing its normal stuff ... when the stress of the plates exceeds the strength of the rocks underneath it releases energy."

Friday night's tremor was strong by Adelaide's standards, but a previous earthquake in 1954 was 5.4 magnitude, occurred near the heart of the city and caused the equivalent of $6 million damage to property, Mr Jepsen said.

Earthquakes between three and four magnitude are often felt, with shaking occurring, but rarely cause serious damage.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/earthqua ... -skw5.html
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

tyro

Post by tyro »

Magnitude 4 you say?

I should imagine that in a properly stocked bar, that would go unnoticed.

Shaken, not stirred
A sufficiently copious dose of bombast drenched in verbose writing is lethal to the truth.

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

Yea ha!

In Cali, folks don't get out of line for popcorn if it's not a 5.5 at least. We tend to 'rideout' the wee ones and seek strong furniture for bigger ones.
Last edited by loCAtek on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

Yeah. We are rather embarrassing on what we jump at.

Perhaps things are just that dull down here.
:lol:
Bah!