The Chiefs are dead, long live the Chiefs!!

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

The Chiefs are dead, long live the Chiefs!!

Post by Gob »

Exeter Chiefs have announced that they will drop their Native American branding at the end of the season, while retaining their name.

The club have decided to launch a “new visual branding” after coming under criticism for their Native American theme from their own supporters and Native American organisations.

Exeter’s new branding is derived from the Celtic Iron Age Dumnonii Tribe, which were present in the Devon, Cornwall and Somerset area before Roman occupation in 43 AD, as well as the ‘Celtic Kingdom of Dumnonia’ which existed between 400 and 900 AD.

Exeter Chiefs chairman Tony Rowe explained the club’s decision for changing their branding while expressing his excitement about the Gallagher Premiership side’s new identity.

“We are excited to welcome in the next era of rugby within Exeter. Exeter has and always will be the most important term in our overall identity,” Rowe said.

“The term Chiefs, however, is equally entrenched in our make-up, going back to over a century ago when teams in this region would regularly call their first teams that of the Chiefs. We are Exeter, we are the Chiefs!

“As a Rugby Club we have been willing to listen, we have consulted far and wide, and now we are ready to invoke change. This is a new direction for our great club, but equally it’s an exciting vision that I’ve no doubt will propel us onwards and upwards over time.

“Our new imagery will bring to life the pride our supporters have to support their club, unifying us all under one brand that underlines all of our core traditions.”
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Joe Guy

Re: The Chiefs are dead, long live the Chiefs!!

Post by Joe Guy »

Good thinking!

The Washington Redskins could have easily kept their name if they would have just changed their logo...

Redskin.jpg
Redskin.jpg (32.84 KiB) Viewed 493 times

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Good timing since the Chiefs just lost the AFC title game.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

So now the Washington NFL team is the Commanders.

Me I think they should have kept the name 'Redskins' but as David Letterman proposed, change the mascot to a potato.

snailgate

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

:lol: Leave it to Dave.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Big RR wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:31 pm
:lol: Leave it to Dave.
Beats Joe's concept which conjures up painful adolescent memories of Rio Del Mar.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Setting aside that he would never support a name change, I think LJ would approve of the name "Commanders."

Right?
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I don't know, I doubt he would even have approved of keeping the chiefs with a potato mascot. Hs opposition to the name change would rule out everything else.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown