My Dragonfly Friend is Back

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

My Dragonfly Friend is Back

Post by Joe Guy »

Every year around this time, a dragonfly - I know it can't be the same one because they don't live that long - lands on the antenna of my car and sits there during the afternoon for quite a long time. It's always the same color dragonfly. This year it's the biggest I've seen.

This year I was able to get very close to it with my iPhone and snap a couple pictures of it. I picked out the clearest one:

Sue U

Re: My Dragonfly Friend is Back

Post by Sue U »

Beautiful! Never seen one that color. Around here they all seem to be blue, green and/or brown.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

That's neat! You're lucky.
The flame skimmer or firecracker skimmer (Libellula saturata) is a dragonfly of the family Libellulidae, native to western North America
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

A stunning dragonfly - vibrant orange! Dragonflies have always been a favorite of mine but the longer I live the more I realize it’s almost like saying I like dogs. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn’t like them.

Anyway it’s supposed to be a symbol of good fortune on the horizon when a dragonfly visits. You’re encouraged to make a wish. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you what wish to make. (The dragonfly is orange, after all.)
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:37 pm
A stunning dragonfly - vibrant orange! Dragonflies have always been a favorite of mine but the longer I live the more I realize it’s almost like saying I like dogs. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn’t like them.

Anyway it’s supposed to be a symbol of good fortune on the horizon when a dragonfly visits. You’re encouraged to make a wish. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you what wish to make. (The dragonfly is orange, after all.)
I watched a video on dragonflies since taking this photo and it turns out they are the most effective predators in nature based on the percentage of attempts vs failure to catch their victims. They can also fly backwards and have other unique features. I don't know if you or anyone else is interested, but here's a link to an interesting 18 minute YouTube video that I discovered; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJi61NAIsjs

Also, I was very glad to hear they eat mosquitoes... :)

I'm not sure if I'm interpreting your "make a wish" encouragement correctly but being that this dragonfly is orange, I'd be quite happy to see him or one of his relatives bite Trump's head off.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

This little video focuses mostly on the longest part of a dragonfly’s lifespan - the time spent as a larva under water, eating other species larva especially mosquitoes. The hunting skills of the larva are very impressive, too.

https://youtu.be/khVVfe7e9-Y
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Nice photo. I think he is back to promote the new GOT series and the flying dragons

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I think you need to make a pukish but beautiful documentary film, showing the blossoming of the relationship, ending of course in tragedy as sharks time takes your little buddy
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:33 pm
I think you need to make a pukish but beautiful documentary film, showing the blossoming of the relationship, ending of course in tragedy as sharks time takes your little buddy
That's a good idea.

Unless I can think of something more pukish, I'll probably give it the title, "The Bright Elusive Dragonfly of Love".

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Better hurry up, some dragonflies live for a little as one week. Skimmers can live a few months if weather conditions are right, but every day they risk being made into a meal.

So yeah this is not the same dragonfly visiting you summer after summer - but quite possibly they are all related.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I was standing next to my car today and the dragonfly flew up and landed on the same spot again. It occurred to me later that I should have attempted to take a selfie with it. Maybe if I wear a hat with an antenna attached to it, it will land on me.

Maybe tomorrow I'll move the car and sit on a chair in that spot with an antenna on my head and my iPhone in my hand. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. If anybody walks by and asks me what I'm doing I'll tell them I'm making a documentary.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

We talked for a while today
My dragonfly buddy and I
I wished him well and hoped to see him again
He wished I were smaller so he could eat me for lunch....

Dragonfly II.jpg

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

What a great shot.

I bet s/he loves that spot because the car hood acts like the surface of a pond, reflecting all the light which must enhance the already fantastic visual acuity of the skimmer.

I hope they keep visiting you until.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

For a little more perspective regarding its size, the antenna the dragonfly is resting on is seven inches long.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Just another update. The dragonfly came back again today and I asked him if it would be okay for me to take another photo of him...