The story of US

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
@meric@nwom@n

The story of US

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

Anyone out there watching this? I have been recording and hope to get a chance to watch it.

Logged 60 plus hours at work this week which is making it hard to see it.

But I did get to see a few hours about the Revolution and the war of 1812.

I had not heard before, or did not remember that the day after the Brits burned the White House a hurricane, apparently the worst to ever hit the DC area, hit and a tornado hit as well. It was described as appearing that the hand of God reached out in Biblical proportions to pummel the Brits and actually did them more damage than the American army, such that it was, was able to do.

When I get some time I am going to sit back and enjoy the series.

Guinevere

Re: The story of US

Post by Guinevere »

I just found it on demand from my cable provider. Watching episode 1 now. Pretty good and I've even learned a few things. 10% of all Americans can trace their heritage to the Mayflower? Seems high to me . . .
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Maybe with six degrees of separation?

Miles

Post by Miles »

I have been watching and find it very interesting. I am an avid fan of the history, discovery and A&E channels.
I expect to go straight to hell...........at least I won't have to spend time making new friends.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Guinevere wrote:10% of all Americans can trace their heritage to the Mayflower?
Bradford descendant here; fully documented. I guess if you factor the generations (it's eight, counting me) and the dilution to distant distant cousins, it could be accurate. I'd love to see the source for that factoid.

The series sounds great; hopefully it's available via Netflix.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

Husband is out getting Frappachinos and we are going to sit down and watch several hours tonight.

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

Over use of hyperbole such as repeating how one various incident or the other would change the course of history forever and how the British were the world's greatest superpower of that era, but otherwise I love it.