So moving along now..

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
TPFKA@W

So moving along now..

Post by TPFKA@W »

No snow in the immediate forecast, which is a nice change however, we appear to be having a pollen blizzard. My eyes are so red and crusted I look like I have been smoking something illegal.

Still it's good to have something besides snow to bitch about. :damn:

dgs49

Re: So moving along now..

Post by dgs49 »

Opening day today in Pittsburgh.

We woke up yesterday morning to see an inch of snow on the ground. Today is sunny and beautiful, and tomorrow it's supposed to reach 70.

Who says baseball is a stupid game?

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

To conclude the coldest New England March in 50 years, and 4th coldest in a century, it was 32, on day 2 of the second nor'easter in 5 days, torrential rain, sleet, snow, and freezing rain.

If we don't get some warmth and sunshine soon, I'm going to turn into a cranky albino and move to the southwest where my skin will burn off and I'll end up wrinkled and dehydrated. Please save me from this awful fate!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gimcrack

Post by Gimcrack »

Along the Minnesota / South Dakota border there were tornadoes during blizzard warnings yesterday. On one side of the front it was 70F, on the other side 25F. Here in Minneapolis, I had the windows open yesterday - a lovely 60F. Right now it's 20F, with windchills of 5F and snow.

Don't you love spring?
Where am I, and why am I holding a handbasket?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

For you, Gimcrack:

Liquid Water Discovered on Surface of Minnesota
Posted on March 26, 2014 by fourthcrown

FORT LAUDERDALE—In a press conference held Tuesday morning, NASA officials have announced the discovery of liquid water on the surface of the region commonly referred to as Minnesota. The discovery has come as a surprise to the space exploration organization, which has listed the state of Minnesota as “unsuitable for any and all biotic life” since mid-November. Temperature trends extrapolated from four months of hard data had extensively confirmed the scientific community’s well-formed hypothesis that Minnesota temperatures were unlikely to shift above “subarctic status.”

“As we continue to develop our understanding of the incredible conditions in which life can develop, the discovery of liquid water in Minnesota is a indeed a watershed moment,” commented Major General Charles F. Bolden Jr., NASA’s chief administrator. “This planetary region has had all of its aquatic reserves trapped in large ice-masses due to extreme cold for an interminable length of time,” continued Bolden. “The discovery of unfrozen water visible from our high-powered satellites has inspired NASA to redouble our efforts to exhaustively decide if at any point this region could be home to an extremophile-type life form.”

NASA’s announcement has lent a new aura of credibility to the writings of many theorists who insist the Minnesota region plays home to a humanoid race of highly-robust organisms living on a diet consisting of nutrient-dense hot dishes, and whose culture revolves primarily around shitty football teams and complaining about their climate. These posits, best exemplified in the popular Coen Brothers film, Fargo, are still largely dismissed by the scientific community. Maj. Gen. Bolden addressed these unlikely propositions, asking viewers to reflect on “the inconsistencies between ‘intelligent’ Minnesotan life and our current Theory of Evolution. While popular culture may elevate the idea of a large tribe of suspiciously friendly bipods who stoically endure perennial beatings by the Green Bay Packers, this theory has no place in the rational realm of scientific thought.”
http://fourthcrown.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... minnesota/
GAH!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Ok, ok, so coastal New England isn't all that bad.

Especially when the WORLD CHAMPION BOSTON RED SOX are heading back to town -- after a stop at the White House, because, you know, they're the WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

This also marks the high point of the Cleveland Indians season...

At the moment they, tied for first in the American League Central....

They may not get to say that again... :P
ImageImageImage

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Supposed to get 3 inches of rain tomorrow. Out like a lamb my buttocks.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

April showers bring May flowers...
ImageImageImage

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

If it rains like they claim it will send the mayflower, if she still floats.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

TPFKA@W wrote:If it rains like they claim it will send the mayflower, if she still floats.
Of course she does, I was just aboard her last fall.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Lord Jim wrote:This also marks the high point of the Cleveland Indians season...

At the moment they, tied for first in the American League Central....

They may not get to say that again... :P
The Phillies are similarly tied for first in the NL East, although I wouldn't expect that to last too long this year, either. But the opening game against Texas yesterday was a lu-lu.
GAH!

Rick

Post by Rick »

I had to mow for the 3rd time Saturday (3/29)
Sometimes it seems as though one has to cross the line just to figger out where it is

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Mayflower II

Visiting the ship Mayflower II is an extraordinary experience. The original Mayflower that sailed to Plymouth in 1620 no longer exists. Plimoth Plantation's full-scale reproduction, Mayflower II, was built in Devon, England and crossed the Atlantic in 1957. The details of the ship, from the solid oak timbers and tarred hemp rigging to the wood and horn lanterns and hand-colored maps, have been carefully re-created to give you a sense of what the original 17th-century vessel was like.

Come aboard and learn about the 1620 voyage of Mayflower, the perils of maritime travel, and the tools of 17th-century navigation. Explore the cramped quarters of the ship's passengers. Peer down into the lower level "hold," where the food, clothing, furniture, tools and other items necessary to start a colony were stored. Admire the "spacious" Master's cabin, and compare it to the wet and windy accommodations of the common sailors. You will also hear the tale of a modern Englishman's dream to build and sail Mayflower II as a symbol of American and British unity after World War II.
http://www.plimoth.org/what-see-do/mayflower-ii
ImageImageImage

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Guinevere wrote:Ok, ok, so coastal New England isn't all that bad.

Especially when the WORLD CHAMPION BOSTON RED SOX are heading back to town -- after a stop at the White House, because, you know, they're the WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

The video on mlb.com is very cute.
GAH!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Gomes' jacket (he had them made for the entire team -- move over Ralph Lauren) was also spectacular:

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Guinevere wrote:
TPFKA@W wrote:If it rains like they claim it will send the mayflower, if she still floats.
Of course she does, I was just aboard her last fall.

Coooooool!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Lord Jim wrote:
Mayflower II

Visiting the ship Mayflower II is an extraordinary experience. The original Mayflower that sailed to Plymouth in 1620 no longer exists. Plimoth Plantation's full-scale reproduction, Mayflower II, was built in Devon, England and crossed the Atlantic in 1957. i

When we were in the UK last we spent a fortnight just outside Plymouth. We visted the "Mayflower Steps" in "The Barbican" there, the Barbican area of Plymouth is a "must see" for American tourists.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

That's interesting Strop...

I seem to recall reading somewhere that generally historians believe that what most likely happened to the original Mayflower was that it was disassembled and sold for scrap...

ETA:

(I have to confess when I first saw the picture Guin posted, I was sorely tempted to post something like, "Wow, that ship's in incredible condition for being four hundred years old; it's really been well maintained"...

Just to see if somebody around here would follow up triumphantly pointing out how I was too dense to realize that it was a replica.... 8-) )
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

(I have to confess when I first saw the picture Guin posted, I was sorely tempted to post something like, "Wow, that ship's in incredible condition for being four hundred years old; it's really been well maintained"...

Just to see if somebody around here would follow up triumphantly pointing out how I was too dense to realize that it was a replica.... 8-) )
Then you could annoyingly, say "April Fools -- gotcha!"