Go Giants!

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Big RR

Re: Go Giants!

Post by Big RR »

Guin--certainly there is a way to get over the air broadcasts other than by cable, isn't there?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Satellite.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

So ordinary aerials can no longer be used. I recall reading something after the digital transition that mentioned using a UHF antenna for reception (although some TVs might not be digital ready), but I don't know for certain.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

BigRR you also need a digital conversion box of some kind -- although maybe that's just for non-digital TVs? I know my Mom tried the converter box and it didn't work, so I ended up springing for both she and I to have cable after *years* of successfully refusing to pay for it (and I have to admit, my three favorite shows - The Closer, Top Chef, and Mad Men are all on cable, so I'm not really complaining). Plus I get the Sox games, after they stopped being on free TV at all (other than the occasional Fox GOTW) after 2006 or 2007.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Guinevere wrote:I don't think that works any more in the digital age. No great loss -- baseball on the radio is a wonderful thing.

Go Rangers!!
You can still use the rabbit ears, but you need a digital tuner, I don't have one (and neither do any of my TV's as the newest one is at least 6 years old). and I am too cheap to buy one. I did get a coupon for one when they were first transitioning (which took about $30-$40 off the price) but I never went to buy the box and it has now expired.(use it or lose it). I'll listen on the radio for a bit, but having no horse in the race and not really caring who wins I may not stay fixated, although I am a National League kinda guy so I guess I'm leaning towards the Giants.

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

Lord Jim wrote:Sometimes, I'm so good I scare myself...

You scare me too, LJ :D

The commentators on KGO are already predicting the Giants taking the World Series in six.

Of course, win or lose, the Bay Area gets the much appreciated influx of fan dollars!

Go Giant$!

dales

Post by dales »

I read in the SF Comical that the Giants (without the World Series) would finish the year in the red. Thanks to the influx of $$$$ the forecast is $8 to $10 million in the black.

Barry Bonds still needs to be paid off.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

loCAtek wrote:
The commentators on KGO are already predicting the Giants taking the World Series in six.
Which other nations are playing in the "world" series?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

It's not our fault thet the Blue Jays suck :P
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Gob wrote:
loCAtek wrote:
Which other nations are playing in the "world" series?
I'd bet about 1/3 of the players are not from the US.

dales

Post by dales »

GIANTS TAKE GAME ONE OF WORLD SERIES!

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

It was a wild and woolly one....

11-7.......

Lord Jim PREDICTS:

The Giants in six....

(Though I have a really strong impulse telling me it could be five)
ImageImageImage

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

FWIW Sharks won over New Jersey 5-2!

GO SHARKS!

dales

Post by dales »

ALL SF BAY AREA TEAMS!

WOO-HOO!

yrs,
rubato

dales

Post by dales »

GIANTS TAKE GAME TWO!

9 TO ZIPPO 8-)

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

This is pretty impressive..

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

For those who didn't see it, for the most part the game was much closer. It was 2-0 Giants until 2/3 rds of the way through the bottom of the eighth, when the Rangers pitching staff suddenly collapsed. After Buster Posey hit a two out single with nobody on, the Ranger's manager pulled the pitcher. It will be remembered as one of the worst pitching change decisions in the annals of baseball...

The first reliever walked the first two men he faced on eight pitches, loading the bases. His control improved considerably with the third batter. It took five pitches to walk him....

The next reliever, not to be out done, promptly walked the next batter to walk in a second run....

And then things got bad.....

A series of hits, (including a triple) scoring run after run....in all, it took a total of four pitchers to finally get the last out of the inning...

In their two series against Atlanta and Philadelphia, six of their seven victories were by a margin of one run. In the first two games of the World Series, they've out scored the Rangers by a total of 13, while racking up 20 runs...

It's hard to believe that this is the team that took down the Yankees....

If they don't get their act together quickly, they're going to get swept in four straight....
ImageImageImage

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

It's hard to believe that this is the team that took down the Yankees....
Easy to take down a team that didn't pitch or hit.
;)

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

On the eve of Game 3, a couple of thoughts...

I have to say that I was really admired the stoicism exhibited by Ranger Manager Ron Washington during the nightmare that was the eighth inning of Game Two....not a single expression of emotion on his face throughout the entire torturous ordeal.... I can just imagine what the camera shots of Tommy LaSorda or Billy Martin would have looked like during a World Series Game if their teams had experienced that sort of meltdown....

Of course what I'm interpreting as "stoicism" may well have been shock....

I keep pointing out to friends and family out here, that if you take out just one inning from both of the first two games, the situation would look quite different....

The Series would be tied one apiece; the Giants losing the first game 7-5, and winning the second 2-0.....

Overall, despite the lopsided scores, the Giants have not dominated or outplayed the Rangers to the extent that the final scores would indicate.....

Which is why I think it's unlikely that this is going to wind up being the four game cake walk that a lot of the jubilant folks 'round these parts are now expecting....

What was the phrase Alan Greenspan used?

Oh yes, "irrational exuberance".....

This team didn't compile the highest batting average in the league, and take down the New York Yankees by being doormats....
ImageImageImage

dales

Post by dales »

Rangers won a game.

yrs,
rubato