Welcome Back Daylight Savings Time!

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Lord Jim

Welcome Back Daylight Savings Time!

Post by Lord Jim »

:ok

Goodbye Dark And Gloomy Time...

This is one government idea of which I heartily approve...

They've been gradually reducing "Standard Time" to the point where it is now in place for only about four months of the year...(This year DAGT ran from Nov.1st till March 8th)

We should eliminate it completely and make DST the new "standard"; who the hell wants the sun to set at 4:30 in the afternoon?

I say good riddance....
ImageImageImage

Gob

Re: Welcome Back Daylight Savings Time!

Post by Gob »

Bugger;
Daylight saving will end in NSW on Sunday, 5 April 2015, when clocks go back one hour at 3:00 am. For future summers, daylight saving in New South Wales begins at 2:00 am, Eastern Standard Time, on the first Sunday in October and ends at 3:00 am Eastern Daylight Saving Time on the first Sunday in April.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Lord Jim wrote:We should eliminate it completely and make DST the new "standard"; who the hell wants the sun to set at 4:30 in the afternoon?
Those of us who don't want to wait until 9:00 AM for the sun to come up in December and January.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

rubato

Post by rubato »

Scooter wrote:
Lord Jim wrote:We should eliminate it completely and make DST the new "standard"; who the hell wants the sun to set at 4:30 in the afternoon?
Those of us who don't want to wait until 9:00 AM for the sun to come up in December and January.

Move south for the winter. Even butterflies know enough to do this.

Yrs,
Rubato

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

A much better idea (IMO) is that moving the clock forward should occur at 2pm on a Friday and moving it back at 2 a.m. on a Sunday.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Daylight Savings Time, how is this still a thing?

GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I don't know Sue, I agree with Scooter--I like to have the daylight during the morning and afternoon hours, and would rather drive home in the dark than to work in it. In our town, some of the older grade schoolchildren are at their bus stops before 7:00 AM, and even the younger ones are there at 8:00; I'd rather have the kids out when it is light (or getting so) than standing in pitch darkness. I'd rather see it retained than scrapped.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Face it, in wintertime it's going to be dark in the mornings and late afternoons, no matter how you set your clock. Like Jim, I'd rather have DST all year round so at least we get the benefit of "later" daylight in the summer.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And I'm happy to change the clocks twice a year to get that and not have dark mornings until 9:00 or 10:00 in the winter.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

We did fine in Indiana without the mess for many years. One of our governors got DST up and running and I personally hate it. I get up at 3am and hit bed no later than 9pm on work nights. I t absolutely blows giant chunks to have it daylight til 10pm. Additionally we are on time with NYC rather than Chicago which makes no sense whatsoever.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

When I got up on Friday (5:30am) it was just getting light. Driving home (4:00pm) it was light.
I got up yesterday morning (5:30am) and it was pitch black. Driving home (4:00pm) it was light.
So how does this work?

Oh, and now I have to change all the auotmatic lamp timers. Oh joy. :|

rubato

Post by rubato »

Sue U wrote:Face it, in wintertime it's going to be dark in the mornings and late afternoons, no matter how you set your clock. Like Jim, I'd rather have DST all year round so at least we get the benefit of "later" daylight in the summer.

hear hear.

I like having an extra hour of light to go outside and work in the yard, cut some salad greens for dinner, go for a walk.

yrs,
rubato

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Give it about a month and it will be getting light by 5:30 and stay light until well beyond 7:00 PM (FWIW, I think that's why we used to have "standard" time for a few more weeks than now. BTW, my timers have a DST button which resets the time to DST when I push it; it might be worth investing in that.

@W--sadly that's the problem with being at the western edge of a time zone; for you and people in your area it would make a lot more sense not to switch to DST and stay on standard time year round. A lot of states did this for areas in your position in the past (imagine what drive in movies would have done if it didn't get dark until after 10:00), but sadly the push to a single time across the state has changed this in some states; pretty ridiculous IMHO.

rubato

Post by rubato »

FWIW China has one time zone for the whole country.

yrs,
rubato

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

my timers have a DST button which resets the time to DST when I push it; it might be worth investing in that.
When the ones I have cease to function, I will look into that type. For now I get to change them. And then I have to change them every month or so til the summer solstace as the days get longer. Dark at 6:30pm now and the light comes on where as in april it will need to change to 7pm or later with 8-9pm in june.

I'm just bitchin' because I can. :mrgreen:
These are "luxury" problems.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

rubato wrote:FWIW China has one time zone for the whole country.

yrs,
rubato
the point of time zones, and DST for that matter, is to make sure light is present during the most productive time of the day; having the sun rise while people are sleeping, or set well after they retire, is what is the zones try to avoid. I don't relish the sun rising at 4:30 AM or setting after 11:00 PM, but I guess the people in China don't mind it. Maybe they shift their working hours to accommodate it?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I just checked, and the latest the sun sets here (with DST) is 8:36...Probably dark by a little after nine...

(Of course, we're walking distance from the Pacific Ocean...)

Here's a good link to check out the sunrise and sunset in your burg for any date you'd like:

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/san- ... &year=2015

Just put your town in the search box...
ImageImageImage

kristina

Post by kristina »

Stupid website can't find Petaluma!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I think it only has major cities listed.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

...or it just doesn't want to?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts