What does this button do?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
oldr_n_wsr

What does this button do?

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20 ... -came-from
Nothing like an unexplained missile launch to ruin a perfectly good coastal sunset.

That was the unsettling reflection that many residents in the Los Angeles area were forced to entertain Monday evening as they gazed out over the ocean and into the storied Southern California sky. All at once, the vista was disrupted by a large missile streaming across the horizon. Nor were area residents especially comforted when they consulted local news outlets about the episode, only to learn that no one seemed to know to whom the missile belonged.

A KCBS traffic helicopter captured the projectile on camera last night, but the Navy and Air Force claimed to know nothing of any planned launch when contacted by KFMB, a CBS affiliate in San Diego.
OOOPS!

Rick

Re: What does this button do?

Post by Rick »

The PRC showing off...
Sometimes it seems as though one has to cross the line just to figger out where it is

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Well I'm glad this settles it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20 ... ly-a-plane
What appeared to be a projectile spreading across the sky in the video was simply a contrail, the plume of smoke that airplanes typically leave in their wake.
"This thing is so obviously an airplane contrail, and yet apparently all the king's horses and all the king's men can't find someone to stand up and say it," John Pike, a defense and aerospace expert, told the Washington Post's John Pomfret. Pike noted that the projectile was moving much slower than a missile would, adding that "there's a reason that they're called rockets."
I wonder if anyone bothered to check takeoff's and landing times in the vicinity to see if there was a jet around there around that time.

tin foil anyone :D

Gob

Post by Gob »

Damn, I was hoping it was going to be a bit more interesting than that...

But maybe this whole "contrail" idea is a cover up?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Maybe you should ask Steve
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Gob

Post by Gob »

LOL!! W-a-a-a-a-y ahead of you there :D :D :D
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

rubato

Post by rubato »

oldr_n_wsr wrote:Well I'm glad this settles it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20 ... ly-a-plane
What appeared to be a projectile spreading across the sky in the video was simply a contrail, the plume of smoke [condensation, not smoke] that airplanes typically leave in their wake.
"This thing is so obviously an airplane contrail, and yet apparently all the king's horses and all the king's men can't find someone to stand up and say it," John Pike, a defense and aerospace expert, told the Washington Post's John Pomfret. Pike noted that the projectile was moving much slower than a missile would [not possible to tell in a still photo], adding that "there's a reason that they're called rockets."[if the direction of travel is normal to your position the relative speed is easier to determine. If it is not the relative speed is more difficult to infer]
I wonder if anyone bothered to check takeoff's and landing times in the vicinity to see if there was a jet around there around that time.[the jet could have taken off thousands of miles away and then gained or lost altitude until a contrail formed]

tin foil anyone :D
There was a DOD satellite launch within the past week from Vandenburgh (north of LA) a recent acquaintence flew back from Santa Barbara wed and returns thurs am to track progress. It is classified so he would not say anything more than that. I have no idea if that produced the contrail or not but they don't talk about satellite launches. so ...

yrs,
rubato

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

They do post some information; Vandenberg AFB Launch Schedule

This is what a satellite launch looks like;

More photos here.