Charlie Sheen on TODAY

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
BoSoxGal

Charlie Sheen on TODAY

Post by BoSoxGal »

Admitting he's been HIV positive for the past 4 years:

http://www.today.com/health/charlie-she ... ive-t56391

I still remember where I was when I saw Magic on the news sharing his diagnosis (working a register in the UMaine student union food court); it was huge news.

Is this huge, too . . . or just not, in light of the recent terrorism abroad?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Re: Charlie Sheen on TODAY

Post by Joe Guy »

It's huge to celebrity worshipers. When Magic Johnson contracted HIV, he thought he was going to die. This is a different time and not all that surprising considering Sheen's crazy life and drug use.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

It's huge in the sense that it is surprising how much the false and sensationalist narrative has not changed in 20 years. Whatever will we do when slut shaming no longer flies when talking about this disease?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Sheen grew up in a post-AIDS world (he is only a little bit older than I am), he knew how to protect himself, and I'm sorry he didn't do a better job. I cringed when he admitted he slept with women since his diagnosis and didn't tell them. Is being concerned about that slut shaming? I don't think so. The blackmail threats he was subjected to, absolutely slut shaming and disgusting.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Slut shaming? More like Charlie seeking to bolster a sagging career by getting some more press coverage. Typical Hollywood.

So far as I see, no one is shaming or attacking him; but he's back in the headlines.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

There were articles all over the interwebs speculating that Sheen was HIV positive, and accusing him of intentionally infecting others. So I would say that yes, he was being slut shamed and was coerced into making his HIV status public.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

He should be ashamed
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Of what, exactly?

Did you watch the whole interview? According to him, he's not failed to inform his sexual partners of his status, and has had unprotected sex with only two partners since becoming HIV positive, both of whom knew his status, his viral loads were indetectable at the time (which makes the risk of transmission infinitesimal - they've studied this stuff over the past 25 years) and they chose to take that risk.

What should he be ashamed of, exactly? His addiction problems? His mental health issues? His HIV status? General moral debauchery?
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Guinevere wrote:I cringed when he admitted he slept with women since his diagnosis and didn't tell them. Is being concerned about that slut shaming? I don't think so.
Assuming he was telling the truth, the times when he did not disclose occurred only when condoms were used, plus he was virally suppressed through treatment. The risk of transmission in that scenario is essentially zero. I don't see disclosure as a moral imperative in those circumstances, and anyone who has the expectation that they should be told would be better served by carrying some rapid test kits on their date.

And not for nothing, but nothing sets me off quite so much as the presumably HIV-negative person who feels entitled to know everyone else's serostatus, but who it turns out hasn't been tested in six months, a year or more and in the meantime has been regularly having condomless sex with people who say they are HIV-negative, and might even believe it.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I would have wanted to know, and to have made the judgment myself, thank you very much. That should be my choice, not only his, and that open flow of information should be part of any consensual relationship.

And yes, having condomless sex with someone new requires a discussion and recent HIV testing of both parties.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

bigskygal wrote:What should he be ashamed of, exactly? His addiction problems? His mental health issues? His HIV status? General moral debauchery?
The last is sufficient.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I guess we'll see what info comes out, but if it's true he was paying thousands to prostitutes for sex sessions, if they didn't ask they are entirely responsible for that - contracting parties can contract terms.

There is some evidence out there that he was disclosing and they were signing nondisclosure agreements re: his status, then extorting him for cash. Where is the outrage?!
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
bigskygal wrote:What should he be ashamed of, exactly? His addiction problems? His mental health issues? His HIV status? General moral debauchery?
The last is sufficient.

Right, moral prigs feel entitled to judge him for his love of sex, drugs, etc.

Forget if he actually intentionally harmed anyone by his viral status, he's contemptible for his lifestyle alone.

He's an addict. He needs help. Hopefully he'll get it now.
~ Carl Sagan

rubato

Post by rubato »

bigskygal wrote:
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
The last is sufficient.

Forget if he actually intentionally harmed anyone by his viral status, he's contemptible for his lifestyle alone.

He has lived an entirely self-indulgent life. He is an appetite wrapped in skin. Kim Jong Un without the ability to kill whoever he likes.

I don't personally care if he gets help.

yrs,
rubato

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

bigskygal wrote:
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
The last is sufficient.

Oh I'd say decent people with good societal standards rather than moral prigs. He's a disgrace

ETA and I might well be the same way if faced with the same temptations at a certain time

rubato

Post by rubato »

He is Lord Byron without the literary talent or output.

Dante Gabriel Rossini* without the poetry and painting to offset his self-indulgence.

yrs,
rubato

Founder of the pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood in London. An amazing painter and famous lover of Wombats. Died at 51 of chloral hydrate and alcohol abuse.

rubato

Post by rubato »

I was being too high culture for you wasn't I? sorry. I should have known the references were too abstruse for you.

"He is like Ralph Kramden without the pathos". How's that? More in your league?

yrs,
rubato

wesw

Post by wesw »

no, you were being too gay for me... (am I allowed to say that?)

rubato

Post by rubato »

typo, should be Rossetti.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Those thieving magpies are always buggering up keyboards!