When do you not want to see records broken?

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
rubato

When do you not want to see records broken?

Post by rubato »

When its the weather:

Temperatures Rose Above Freezing at the North Pole Today
It isn’t just the US that’s getting walloped with bizarre weather. This week, temperatures around the North Pole were fifty degrees higher than usual for December—and today, they rose above the freezing point.

That’s right: In the middle of what’s supposed to be winter, the NORTH POLE was registering temperatures you’d expect to feel in New York around New Years, according to the GFS Forecast Model, which collates data from satellites and weather stations to produce global weather predictions.

It’s only the second instance in which we’ve seen above-freezing temperatures at the North Pole this time of year— minus 20 degrees Fahrenheit is more typical.

To what do Santa’s elves owe the unexpected heat wave? The same nasty storm that slammed the southern US with tornadoes and blizzards this weekend, leaving millions of dollars of property damage and widespread flooding along the Mississippi in its wake. As that storm continues to punch its way north through the Jet Stream, it’s forcing warm air over the Arctic Circle, causing the mercury to rise to the kind of double digit numbers you’d expect in mid-summer.

Of course, in New York, it’s also been feeling like July lately, so perhaps we shouldn’t be that surprised.

Did we mention it’s the hottest year in recorded history?

[The Washington Post]

Top: The hot, weird storm currently sitting above the North Atlantic, via earth.nullschool.net
Aye yi yi yi yi

yrs,
rubato

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: When do you not want to see records broken?

Post by Econoline »

Maybe someone should take a mudball into the U.S.Senate and throw it at Sen. Inhofe?
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

How about, when I'm the guy holding the current record?
I mean, we all know Mark Spitz won seven gold medals in a single Olympics.  Anybody happen to remember the name of the guy who held the record for most gold medals (5) before him?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

rubato

Post by rubato »

I had to look it up but there were four:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... ngle_Games

yrs,
rubato

wesw

Post by wesw »

yeah, Alaska Canada and Russia are the future. not to mention Iceland green land and Scandinavia....

the intellectual dishonesty that is rampant in the republican party about the truth of global warming is amazing to me.

I would have more respect for them if they just said that they thought that their business interests were more important than worrying about climate change, which is the truth.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

the intellectual dishonesty that is rampant in the republican party about the truth of global warming is amazing to me.

I would have more respect for them if they just said that they thought that their business interests were more important than worrying about climate change, which is the truth.
Psst wes:

Didn't you get the memo?

Trumpanzees aren't supposed to believe in climate change:
Donald Trump On Climate Change: 'I Believe It Goes Up And It Goes Down'

"So I am not a believer, and I will, unless somebody can prove something to me, I believe there’s weather."

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has rendered his opinion on climate change, and it is characteristically off-kilter.

"Unless somebody can prove something to me, I believe there's weather. I believe there's change," Trump told radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt on Monday.

In a confusing exchange with Hewitt, Trump rattled off several non sequiturs on global temperatures. Trump says that "people in the 1920s thought the Earth was cooling, now it's global warming," implying that all subsequent climate science is nonsense.

In the Hewitt interview, Trump goes on to complain about the government attempting to solve a problem that he doesn't think "in any major fashion exists." And he keeps talking:
And actually, we’ve had times where the weather wasn’t working out, so they changed it to extreme weather, and they have all different names, you know, so that it fits the bill. But the problem we have, and if you look at our energy costs, and all of the things that we’re doing to solve a problem that I don’t think in any major fashion exists. I mean, Obama thinks it’s the number one problem of the world today. And I think it’s very low on the list. So I am not a believer, and I will, unless somebody can prove something to me, I believe there’s weather. I believe there’s change, and I believe it goes up and it goes down, and it goes up again. And it changes depending on years and centuries, but I am not a believer, and we have much bigger problems.
This is not the first time Trump has denied climate change; he has also attempted to use cold weather to disprove climate change in the past, and argued that global warming was "created by and for the Chinese":
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.
11:15 AM - 6 Nov 2012
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tru ... 20d91aa753
ImageImageImage

rubato

Post by rubato »

On climate change, Donald Trump is dead center in your party.

yrs,
rubato

wesw

Post by wesw »

did I ever say that I agreed with the Donald on climate?

there is no one that I agree with on everything.

I see trump as a tool (hee hee), who will be an agent of change and who will be an effective and capable executive and dealmaker.

besides, trump will veer left after he wins the nomination.....

...and rube, its jim s party.

I m still regretting voting for bush in his second run.

I used to like al gore a lot. ah..., to be young and idealistic and trusting and stupid again....

I used to like Clinton (bill) too. ah..., to be young and..... yada yada yada....

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

to be young and idealistic and trusting and stupid again....
Well, by being a Trump supporter, at least you're able to relive the last two... :ok :nana
ImageImageImage

wesw

Post by wesw »

no, I may be stupid, but I don t trust him . its all relative in politics.....

RayThom

TRUMPTY'S KIND OF PEOPLE

Post by RayThom »

NOT!

The P.T. Barnum of politics:
He is strongest among Republicans who are less affluent, less educated and less likely to turn out to vote. His very best voters are self-identified Republicans who nonetheless are registered as Democrats.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/upsho ... .html?_r=0
I'm not surprised he has Southern Democrats mesmerized. I think that's the same group who gave the T-Baggers much of their strength. The Repubs are definitely getting the candidate they deserve.

Run, Trumpster, run.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

liberty

Post by liberty »

Do you all think trump is a conservative? I don’t think so; I think he has his own agenda; I just have no idea what it is.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Do you all think trump is a conservative? I don’t think so; I think he has his own agenda; I just have no idea what it is.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

kmccune

Post by kmccune »

A "Chumism " " I thought teabaggers just didnt want to pay taxes " Its strange how some people do not want to give back, its been noted around here that people who are the poorest , pay the best .(probably one reason they are poor ) you wouldnt believe how penurious some of the people I used to work for are . :lol:

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

No, I got the distinct impression that most teabaggers took sort of a Libertarian view of taxation.  They didn't mind paying taxes as long as it was for something that benefited them.  But if they didn't have a kid in school, let's say, they didn't see why they should be charged to keep the schools funded and operational.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

dgs49

Post by dgs49 »

How THE FUCK did this turn into a Trump thread?

Back on point...

Every day of every year there is a weather "record" set someplace in the world. Hottest, coldest, rainiest, windiest, most humid, greatest Wind Chill, whatever.

The way "prejudice" works is this: If you are convinced of a Thing, then every time you see something that reinforces that Thing, you see it as proof of your belief. When you see something that runs counter to the Thing, you ignore it or say it is an anomaly. Either way, your prejudice is reinforced.

Last winter was the coldest winter in Pittsburgh in decades. When I left on vacation in February it was -17 at my house - the coldest it has "ever" been. This December I played golf on Christmas eve, and had to remove my jacket because I was starting to perspire when walking up the hills. Last year was just an anomaly, but this year is proof of global warming. Riiiiiiiight.

There is no issue with respect to the FACTS of climate change:

(1) The climate appears to be getting warmer.

(2) The Greenhouse Effect is a fact.

(3) Human activity is enhancing the normal warming that has been going on for centuries.

(4) Historically, there is NO correlation between atmospheric CO2 levels and average temperatures.

(5) If everyone in the U.S. parked her SUV, lowered her thermostat, and took up organic subsistence farming, so that we could mothball every carbon-based power plant in the country, the effect on global climate would be so small as to be incalculable. Add Europe; same result.

(6) China, India, and soon Africa are now, and will continue to build carbon-based power plants (generally fired by coal because it is cheap and available) for decades, regardless of what the U.S., Europe, or the U.N. have to say about it. Because they want reliable, cheap electricity, and reliable, cheap transportation...the greedy bastards.

(7) The environmental Left has fraudulently introduced CO2 into the "pollution" discussion, so that any significant industrial, transportation, or agricultural activity can be said to be "adding to dangerous pollution," which is bullshit on steroids.

The political Right - including Mr. Trump - is fighting the massive and illegitimate attempt by the global forces of Big Government and Wealth Redistribution to cripple international industry in the name of "saving the planet," and I'm glad they (we) are. And as usual, the response of the Left is name-calling and vacuous insults.

rubato

Post by rubato »

dgs49 wrote:"....

(4) Historically, there is NO correlation between atmospheric CO2 levels and average temperatures.

... "

Really?

I would call that a very strong correlation.

And if the US and EU, alone, reduced their CO2 emissions by 1/2 which is very doable the global emissions would drop by 13%, a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... _emissions

Country ****************** CO2 emissions (kt)[2] ****************** Emission per capita (t)[3]
 World ****************** 35,669,000 ****************** 5
 China ****************** 10,540,000 ****************** 7.6
 United States ****************** 5,334,000 ****************** 16.5
 European Union ****************** 3,415,000 ****************** 6.7
 India ****************** 2,341,000 ****************** 1.8
 Russia ****************** 1,766,000 ****************** 12.4
 Japan ****************** 1,278,000 ****************** 10.1
 Germany ****************** 767,000 ****************** 9.3
International Shipping ****************** 624,000 ****************** -
 Iran ****************** 618,000 ****************** 7.9
 South Korea ****************** 610,000 ****************** 12.3
 Canada ****************** 565,000 ****************** 15.9
 Brazil ****************** 501,000 ****************** 2.5
 Saudi Arabia ****************** 494,000 ****************** 16.8
International Aviation ****************** 492,000 ****************** -
 Mexico ****************** 456,000 ****************** 3.7
 Indonesia ****************** 452,000 ****************** 1.8
 United Kingdom ****************** 415,000 ****************** 6.5
 Australia ****************** 409,000 ****************** 17.3
 South Africa ****************** 392,000 ****************** 7.4
 Turkey ****************** 353,000 ****************** 4.7
 Italy ****************** 337,000 ****************** 5.5
 France ****************** 323,000 ****************** 5
 Poland ****************** 298,000 ****************** 7.8

China is installing > 50 GW of solar electricity generation or about the equivalent of 25 large nuclear power plants. So in fact the whole world really is chipping in on this.

yrs,
rubato

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Correlation is not evidence of causality
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

wesw

Post by wesw »

geez meade, rube finally posts a graph that has the appearance of validity and that s your response?

weak.

rube wins the thread.

rubato

Post by rubato »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:Correlation is not evidence proof of causality

Fixed. Correlation is evidence of causality.

And in this case we have both correlation and a well studied mechanism (1) combined with a confirming lab experiment (2) ( (1) CO2 absorbs more energy from light converting it into heat and (2) increasing CO2 in a gas mixture in the lab and shining a light on it results in greater heat transfer) which is actually very good proof. And we had all of this more than 15 years ago.

yrs,
rubato