This Is So Problematic, They May Want To Walk It Back...

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Lord Jim

This Is So Problematic, They May Want To Walk It Back...

Post by Lord Jim »

But I'm sure Meade and his fellow Grammar Sturmabteilung will approve:
University issues list of most overused, misused words

DETROIT — So a university has decided, without holding a presser, that about a dozen words and phrases are problematic and should be banned from everyday use — and there are no plans to walk it back even if the announcement breaks the Internet.

Still, everyone can be a stakeholder and join the conversation.

Northern Michigan's Lake Superior State University on Thursday released its 41st annual List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Misuse, Overuse and General Uselessness.

The tongue-in-cheek wish-list of sorts includes starting an answer with the word "So," ''presser" instead of press conference, "problematic," ''walk it back" and "break the Internet." Others are "stakeholder," ''join the conversation," ''physicality," ''price point," ''manspreading," ''giving me life" and "vape," describing the act of "smoking" e-cigarettes.

There's no "secret sauce" — that rounds out this year's list — for inclusion: It's based on nominations submitted by stakeholders, er, members of the public to the Sault Ste. Marie school.

"(It's) usually used in a sentence explaining the 'secret' in excruciating public detail," John Beckett of Ann Arbor, Michigan, wrote in his nomination to ban "secret sauce." ''Is this a metaphor for business based on the fast-food industry?"

As for "So," it has the distinction of getting the most nominations and making the Banished Words list twice — but for different reasons. This year, people find starting a reply with it to be overused, meaningless and affected. In 1999, those nominating it griped about its incessant use as a modifier, as in, "I am so down with this list."

Some linguists and word watchers say starting an answer with "So" flowered in academia, particularly among those in the fields of science, technology and engineering. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has used it, giving it pop culture currency.

"Currently, it is being overused as the first word in the answer to ANY question," wrote Bob Forrest of Tempe, Arizona. "For instance, 'How did you learn to play the piano?' Answer: 'So my dad was in a classical music club.'"

University spokesman and list overseer Tom Pink said he and his colleagues were surprised by a lack of political terms, but they expect to see some in 2016, a presidential election year.

He noted that an increasing number of nominations come without explanations.

That, he said, could have something to do with the rapid-fire, abbreviated means by which we communicate in the digital age.

"Getting worse in recent years, probably bcuz people are typing from their phones!" Pink wrote in an email, which he sent from his phone.

Lest anybody get the wrong idea about Michigan schools only calling for word bans — even humorously — Detroit's Wayne State University offers an antidote: Its newer Word Warriors campaign boasts of "bringing back great words" that have fallen out of favor. Past words the university wants people to use more include "caterwaul," ''rapscallion" and "flapdoodle."
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/national/u ... bffc6.html

Here's a link to the full list:

http://www.lssu.edu/banished/
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Re: This Is So Problematic, They May Want To Walk It Back...

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Commencing any sentence with the word "so" is almost as aggravating as having to listen to people responding to a question in this fashion:

Q. What did you think of that, then?

A. I mean, it was quite good

You arse! You don't 'mean' anything because you haven't said anything yet. If you'd already said something and then wanted to clarify your intent, that would be reasonable.

My wife and I have a friend who concludes EVERY sentence with "so".

"My aunt is flying in from New York tomorrow, so....."

Truth is, she does this as a placeholder because no one else will speak until the long drawn-out "sooooo" has finished - at which point she starts her next, probably unrelated sentence (which also ends with "soooo" and so ad infinitum).

Sooooo.....
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

dgs49

Post by dgs49 »

"Can I ask you a question?"

Obviously. You already have!

'At the end of the day..."

"It is what it is..."

"...a done deal..."

I like the idea of a list because it makes people aware of what they are saying, which sometimes makes no sense.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

One of my favorite openings for a brilliant response is, 'Can I ask you a question?'.

My reply (and this is witty and erudite and soooooo smart)(you'll like it)(I'm sure you will).... my response is always...

"Don't you mean, 'two questions'?

Another favorite is 'returned back' as in - this book must be returned back to the library. Where else does one return, except "back"?

'Where is it at?" - so much more educated than, "Where is it?"

One could go on.

One probably will.

Termination will occur eventually, of course.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

wesw

Post by wesw »

there was this fella from the sticks, a brilliant fellow and scholar , but being from the sticks his speaking voice was shaped by his environment.

on his first day at Harvard he walked up to another fellow and asked, " 'scuse me, can you tell where the library's s at?"

the fellow replied, in a haughty voice, "sir, at Harvard we don t end our sentences with prepositions"

the country boy rejoined, "oh, I m sorry. could you tell me where the library is at, asshole?"

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

:lol: Now that's funny, right there...
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I suppose, LJ, you refer to the sound of one wesw crapping and not my blazingly original post?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I do indeed Meade...(the blind hog/acorn rule... 8-) )

Here it is...

You may want to take it to heart: :P
wesw wrote:there was this fella from the sticks, a brilliant fellow and scholar , but being from the sticks his speaking voice was shaped by his environment.

on his first day at Harvard he walked up to another fellow and asked, " 'scuse me, can you tell where the library's s at?"

the fellow replied, in a haughty voice, "sir, at Harvard we don t end our sentences with prepositions"

the country boy rejoined, "oh, I m sorry. could you tell me where the library is at, asshole?"
ImageImageImage

rubato

Post by rubato »

dgs49 wrote:"...

I like the idea of a list because it makes people aware of what they are saying, which sometimes makes no sense.

Only when you do it.

yrs,
rubato

wesw

Post by wesw »

jim , I much prefer the blind squirrel analogy to the blind hog analogy....

I do not want to be mistaken for an aging Redskin.....

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Oh, LJ - he's posted that before and I didn't want to read it anyway. Vulgar stupidity is marginally worse than simple stupidity.

wesw

Post by wesw »

it seems to me that meade has been the one on the vulgarity kick lately.

he really doesn t get the ignoring thing , does he?

he is mentioning me more now than he was before he ignored me.....

oh well, we have rube on the path to understanding humour, and scooter seems to have gotten the fact that country folk are human too...

perhaps I will eventually claw my way out of stupidity, and maybe meade will be able to yank that giant oak tree out of his butt....

....darn, that was vulgar, wasn t it?

liberty

Post by liberty »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:Oh, LJ - he's posted that before and I didn't want to read it anyway. Vulgar stupidity is marginally worse than simple stupidity.
Wes’s little joke is vulgar, but it is also funny. And, what particularly makes it stupid? I frequently ask these questions and get no answers.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I suspect that Meade's primary objection to that joke isn't the "vulgarity"...

It's the fact that the "asshole" in the joke is the person that he views as the hero of the story... :P
ImageImageImage

wesw

Post by wesw »

:lol:

kmccune

Post by kmccune »

I like "caterwaul " reminds me of some female singers . :ok

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Lord Jim wrote:I suspect that Meade's primary objection to that joke isn't the "vulgarity"...

It's the fact that the "asshole" in the joke is the person that he views as the hero of the story... :P
Oh no, LJ! Shock! Horror! The asshole in the joke is very rude and not at all a hero - he should just have pointed out the proper directions to the ignorant cracker and said nothing to make that person feel either uncomfortable or hostile

The joke is not stupid - the construction "Where is it at?" is stupid.

wesw

Post by wesw »

i checked the wictionary (not really) for caterwaul and i found this....

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

A very good demonstration of the point!