College Life Sure Isn't What It Used To Be

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
dales

College Life Sure Isn't What It Used To Be

Post by dales »

The famous law professor Alan Dershowitz, who has been outspoken about student protesters, is again lashing out at the culture of college campuses, Breitbart News reported.

This time, Dershowitz lamented the supposed demise of humor among college students.

"My God, sense of humor has disappeared from college campuses,” Dershowitz said on the radio program “The Cats Roundtable” on Sunday.

“We have to restore sense of humor, get back to where every idea is freely expressed on campus, no matter how offensive it is to anybody, and where there’s no political correctness,” he continued.

Dershowitz, a leading proponent of civil liberties and a defense attorney who advised on the O.J. Simpson murder trial and numerous other celebrity cases, was commenting on what he has previously called a dangerous trend of "tyrannical students" on college campuses.

His comments follow high-profile incidents of racial discrimination at the University of Missouri which have spurred students across the US to protest racism on their own campuses.

At numerous schools — including Yale University on Princeton University — students have protested racism on campus and called for the resignation of administration members who they say are creating a dangerous environment. And at Amherst College, students have threatened to respond in a "radical manner" if their demands are not met.

For his part, Dershowitz argues that colleges are becoming dangerous places for free thought, and that students don't want to hear opinions that run counter to their own beliefs.

"The last thing these students want is diversity," Dershowitz told Business Insider in November.

"They may want superficial diversity, because for them diversity is a code word for 'more of us,' he continued. "They don't want more conservatives, they don't want more white students, they don't want more heterosexuals."
http://www.businessinsider.com/alan-der ... -1?ref=yfp

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

rubato

Re: College Life Sure Isn't What It Used To Be

Post by rubato »

Dershowitz has been cranking the same hurdy-gurdy for 35 years. The only people who haven't noticed are the conservatives fools who are his market.

He should get a monkey.

yrs,
rubato

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I think there are plenty on the right and left who agree with Dershowitz on his support of free speech.

I'm glad we have had such advocates throughout our history.

wesw

Post by wesw »

:clap:

...and I believe that many on the left understand and agree with the second amendment, and its importance in the preservation of liberty as well.

I also believe that some on the left and right no longer believe in liberty and believe that rule by an elite few is wiser.

dales

Post by dales »

Big RR wrote:I think there are plenty on the right and left who agree with Dershowitz on his support of free speech.

I'm glad we have had such advocates throughout our history.
With the exception of rubato who believes that "free speech" is not at all important in college.

Those steel-eyed Marxists at UCSC must have been a real laugh riot! :lol:

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

rubato

Post by rubato »

Dershowitz has been making the same bullshit claim for 35 years. And yet freedom of speech is still the norm on college campuses.

yrs,
rubato

wesw

Post by wesw »

so you are saying that he is a visionary?

that he saw this coming?

that s pretty high praise....

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I probably disagree with Dershowitz about 90% of the time, (this falls into the 10% category) but one thing I do have to give him credit for his intellectual integrity...

Another concept which is completely alien to rube...
ImageImageImage

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

So rubato your point about Derhsowitz is what? That the "bullshit" he is championing is not free speech?

dgs49

Post by dgs49 »

The operative principle on a college campus should be, the solution to offensive speech is counter-speech that rebuts what is offensive. It's called "dialog."

If my organization invites a guest speaker who will speak on campus about why slavery was the best thing that ever happened to the African American community, and members of that community find the thesis offensive, then their response SHOULD BE to suggest a debate, or to bring in a speaker who will present an opposing view, possibly even at the same forum.

On today's college campus, the actual response would be to try to get the Administration to prevent the speaker from appearing, or to create so much of a disturbance that the speaker cannot be heard. Or to physically threaten the speaker.

Am I wrong?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

The problem is there are just too many damn black people in this country. All they ever do is complain about how they are being treated.

Poor me me me me me.....!

Quit complaining. You don't know how lucky you are.

yrs,
dgsbato

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Rhetorical question there, dave?
If my organization invites a guest speaker who will speak on campus about why slavery was the best thing that ever happened to the African American community
Now why on earth would you (or any person) do that? There's a stadium in Nuremburg that would be a better venue :lol:

Really - what organization do you belong to that has any right to arrange a speaker on campus? And what color are their sheets?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts