Gay Bed Rights

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Gay Bed Rights

Post by Gob »

HOTEL owners who refused to give a gay couple a room have been forced to pay them compensation.

Peter and Hazelmary Bull – owners of the Chymorvah Private Hotel in Cornwall, England - denied Martyn Hall and his civil partner Steven Preddy a double room in September 2008.

Mr Hall and Mr Preddy were told the hotel has a long-standing policy of banning all unmarried couples both heterosexual and gay from sharing a bed in the hotel.

Christians Mr and Mrs Bull said the policy has been in operation since they bought the hotel in 1986, and is based on their beliefs about marriage and not hostility to sexual orientation.

Mr Preddy said he and Mr Hall had booked the hotel room over the phone and were not aware of the policy until they arrived and were told they would not be able to stay.

The hotel owners were ordered to pay them $2880 each in damages, with most of the costs going to the Equality and Human Rights Commission which funded the action.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/travel ... 5990959108
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Re: Gay Bed Rights

Post by Crackpot »

On this occasion I don't see fault with the settlement. THe owners had a responsibility to let anyone making a booking what may disqualify them from lodging.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

Bloody Cornish.

Serves them right. :D

I hope paying out money to bumming emmets stuck in their choughing craw!
Bah!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I agree with Crackpot. Methinks they don't go to such great lengths to determine the marital status of the heterosexual couples who book, either. Unless they've got a policy of asking for a marriage certificate at check-in, I contend that 'defence' was bollocks!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

SisterMaryFellatio

Post by SisterMaryFellatio »

The Hen wrote:Bloody Cornish.

Serves them right. :D

I hope paying out money to bumming emmets stuck in their choughing craw!

Quite agree!

AND they should have got a free week in the hotel! :lol:

Gob

Post by Gob »

Having seen the owners, that would be a punishment more than a reward!

The couple

Vs

The owners
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

SisterMaryFellatio

Post by SisterMaryFellatio »

They are from Marazion what do you expect? lol

Gob

Post by Gob »

A Christian couple who did not let a gay couple have a double room in their hotel have appealed against a ruling that they acted unlawfully.

Peter and Hazelmary Bull refused to allow civil partners Steven Preddy and Martyn Hall, from Bristol, the room at Chymorvah House in Cornwall in 2008.

The Bulls, from Marazion, were ordered in January to pay £3,600 in damages.

At the Court of Appeal in London, the Bulls said that they were entitled to hold "outdated" religious beliefs.

Mr Hall and Mr Preddy claimed sexual orientation discrimination under the Equality Act (Sexual Orientation) Regulations 2007.

At Bristol County Court in January, Judge Andrew Rutherford said the Bulls acted unlawfully in turning away the couple in September 2008, and ordered them to pay £1,800 each to Mr Preddy and Mr Hall.

At the appeal, Mr Bull, 71, and Mrs Bull, 67, said they thought that any sex outside marriage was "a sin", but denied they had discriminated against the civil partners.

Mr Hall and Mr Preddy were not in court.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-15639005

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I would love to know when they added that note on their website (my suspicion is after this brouhaha erupted, as an after the fact attempt to justify their discrimination), and, as others have stated, if they demand to see marriage certificates from every couple who comes to their hotel. Otherwise, nothing more than a pathetic attempt to paint themselves as the victims.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Seeing as the gay couple involved had had an official "civil ceremony", I wonder if only "married in church" couples get to stay there?