We can't win

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
liberty

Re: We can't win

Post by liberty »

To my great dismay my daughter and grandchildren are all liberals. My daughter is not as bad as when she was young, but she is still a liberal. I worry about them; liberals need someone to protect them. They can’t protect themselves except with words and there can’t always be policemen around. And the police are not obligated to protect individuals but to enforce the law.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Until each and every one of us can command our own army, we (liberal, conservative, moderate, or none of the above) will always need "someone else" to protect us, won't we?

Indeed, isn't that one of the main reasons people band together to form communities and countries?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

liberty wrote:To my great dismay my daughter and grandchildren are all liberals. My daughter is not as bad as when she was young, but she is still a liberal. I worry about them; liberals need someone to protect them. They can’t protect themselves except with words and there can’t always be policemen around. And the police are not obligated to protect individuals but to enforce the law.
Congratulate yourself on doing a good job bringing her up, lib. You could have done a lousy job, like Mike Huckabee, and we'd all have to suffer. Well done.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

my daughter and grandchildren are all liberals.
Lib, are they aware of the sorts of views that you have expressed around here about "liberals"? (They're "communists" they're "fascists", they hate America, etc.)

If so, it must make Thanksgiving at your place very interesting... 8-)
ImageImageImage

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
liberty wrote:To my great dismay my daughter and grandchildren are all liberals. My daughter is not as bad as when she was young, but she is still a liberal. I worry about them; liberals need someone to protect them. They can’t protect themselves except with words and there can’t always be policemen around. And the police are not obligated to protect individuals but to enforce the law.
Congratulate yourself on doing a good job bringing her up, lib. You could have done a lousy job, like Mike Huckabee, and we'd all have to suffer. Well done.
:lol: :ok
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

rubato

Post by rubato »

Someone should call the LAPD and wise them up.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

“to taze and to shoot” :shrug
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
My mistake was allowing her to think for herself from a very early age. If I had known she would have turned out like this I would have indoctrinated her. At least she is not ashamed of her ancestors like her children are and she does know how to shot a gun. I wouldn’t trust any of my grandchildren to own a gun.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Lord Jim wrote:
my daughter and grandchildren are all liberals.
Lib, are they aware of the sorts of views that you have expressed around here about "liberals"? (They're "communists" they're "fascists", they hate America, etc.)

If so, it must make Thanksgiving at your place very interesting... 8-)
When you love people you avoid subjects that might divide. And as long as there is life there is hope. And some liberals are not fascist, but just weak and well meaning.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Big RR wrote:Until each and every one of us can command our own army, we (liberal, conservative, moderate, or none of the above) will always need "someone else" to protect us, won't we?

Indeed, isn't that one of the main reasons people band together to form communities and countries?
What is wrong with Mr. Colt.

rubato

Post by rubato »

liberty wrote: "....

My mistake was allowing her to think for herself from a very early age. ..." .

That's how you make liberals all right. Pretty reliable method too.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

rubato wrote:

yrs,
rubato
:ok :lol:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

liberty wrote:My mistake was allowing her to think for herself from a very early age.  If I had known she would have turned out like this I would have i⃥n⃥d⃥o⃥c⃥t⃥r⃥i⃥n⃥a⃥t⃥e⃥d⃥ brainwashed her.
Fixed it for you.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

rubato wrote:

yrs,
rubato
Spot on, rube.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

liberty wrote:
Big RR wrote:Until each and every one of us can command our own army, we (liberal, conservative, moderate, or none of the above) will always need "someone else" to protect us, won't we?

What is wrong with Mr. Colt.
How many shots do you have? Can you take out an entire army with one? Can you shoot down a bomber or intercept a missile with one? No, you'll need a lot more than Mr. Colt to defend yourself against a major attack.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

rubato wrote:

yrs,
rubato
Judging from the responses to this post, I guess this will come a as a surprise to some of you...

Believe it or not, it is possible to be raised in an environment where you are encouraged to think for yourself from a very early age, and not wind up becoming a liberal... :o 8-)
Last edited by Lord Jim on Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

RayThom

We can't win

Post by RayThom »

Lord Jim wrote:... Judging from the responses to this post, I guess this will come a as a surprise to some of you...

Believe it or not, it is possible to be raised in an environment where you are encouraged to think for yourself from a very very early age, and not wind up becoming a liberal...
PFFT! LJ, you're such a silly goose. Where did you hear this kind of garbage?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

rubato

Post by rubato »

Judging from the responses to this post, I guess this will come a as a surprise to some of you...

Believe it or not, it is possible to be raised in an environment where you are encouraged to think for yourself from a very early age, and not wind up becoming a liberal... :o 8-)
Of course. People with anti-social personality disorder can crop up anywhere.

Malthus' father was what people today would call a liberal/progressive reformer, an optimist who believed in changing things for the better. Malthus was a reactionary conservative and first came up with his theories to make his dad shut up. (His theories, at that time, were used to prove among other things that you should not bother to feed, clothe, or house the poor because that would just create more of them.)

yrs,
rubato

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

rubato wrote:
His theories, at that time, were used to prove among other things that you should not bother to feed, clothe, or house the poor because that would just create more of them.

yrs,
rubato
To be fair to Malthus he didn't say that: others twisted his words to make that conclusion. In later editions of his book he made it clear that his intention was to make sure that resources (i.e., food supply) remained adequate for the anticipated increase in population.

liberty

Post by liberty »

rubato wrote:Conservatives were isolationist and fought against th US arming for war in the 1930s because the whiners didn't want to pay taxes. Or, like Lindbergh, they were defeatists like Liberty.

Yrs
rubato
Lindbergh was an antiwar activist so what did he do that was any different than what you guys did during the Cold War?