A Thread For Liberty To Express His New Posting Style

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
BoSoxGal

Re: A Thread For Liberty To Express His New Posting Style

Post by BoSoxGal »

rubato wrote:The press today said that "several" bones in his neck were broken including the hyoid bone which is often broken in cases of strangulation. I'm surprised. Not about the hyoid bone which is thin and easily broken but what technique he could have used to break several bones. Several has to be more than two, yes? Guessing I would say one was the odontoid process and another was the other one of the first two cervical vertebrae, the atlas. I don't know how he could break both of those. I would think the atlas would be disarticulated before it broke as would the other cervical vertebrae. The hyoid bone is often broken during autopsy but you can tell if it was broken post-mortem because the broken ends don't have blood on them.

Weird. I'm starting to wonder gently about conspiracy theories.

yrs,
rubato
And yet Michael Baden, hired by the family, still concurs with the initial findings that it was death by suicide. The hyoid bone, like all bones, is much more breakable in a middle aged and older person like Epstein was than it is in a younger person. The working theory is that he flung himself off the top bunk with the sheet noose around his neck, thus creating the force that broke his neck bones.
Epstein’s Broken Hyoid Bone Doesn’t Tell Us Much
It’s still much, much more likely that he died by suicide than that he was murdered.
Jeremy Samuel FaustAug 15, 20193:44 PM

On Wednesday morning, the Washington Post reported that two people with knowledge of Jeffrey Epstein’s autopsy said that it showed his hyoid bone had broken when he reportedly died by suicide in prison on Saturday morning. The story quickly gained steam, including on Slate, because multiple experts noted that this is more common in homicide victims than in suicide victims. But it is worth stating plainly: A broken hyoid bone doesn’t really suggest he was murdered. In fact, it adds almost no useful information at all. Thinking it does underscores how bad we all are at understanding basic math.

Yes, the hyoid—the U-shaped bone located at the top and front of the neck—is more likely to be broken when a person has been strangled than if they were hanged. But the hyoid is also broken in hangings—possibly infrequently, and possibly often. There’s no agreement in the forensics community on exactly how frequently, but it is known to occur and is not considered remarkable.

Here’s some basic math. Each year, around 16,000 men are murdered in the United States. Of those, approximately 385 are strangled (2.4 percent). Meanwhile, around 35,000 men die by suicide, 8,000 (23 percent) of those by hanging. This means that if a medical examiner encounters a random dead body (but no other information), it is over 20 times more likely that the man died by hanging than by strangulation. Even after the discovery of a broken hyoid bone, the overall odds would still heavily favor hanging, even though the rate of hyoid bone fracture is indeed somewhat higher in strangulation, because broken hyoid bones aren’t 20 times more likely to be broken during strangulation than hanging. Not even close.

If a broken hyoid bone was rarely or never associated with death by hanging, then there might be something here. But in the study cited by the Washington Post itself, 25 percent of patients who died by suicidal hanging had broken hyoids. That’s not a small number. Also, the average age of patients with this finding was 61 (Epstein was 66), much older than those in the study without broken hyoids.

Further, when making medical diagnoses (and cause of death is a medical diagnosis), we don’t follow likelihoods in isolation. We try to look at context. Take dilated cardiomyopathy, a common heart problem in which the heart is enlarged and loses efficiency. The most likely reason to develop this condition in America is preexisting disease of the coronary arteries. But if you just flew in from Honduras and have body aches, shortness of breath, and some leg swelling, Chagas disease becomes a drastically more likely cause of dilated cardiomyopathy. The parasite that causes Chagas disease is not even found in the U.S., but, given the circumstances, given the context, it is more likely to be correct in this specific case.

If investigators discovered a dead body slumped on the ground in a private home with no obvious cause of death, the situation would be rather different. No noose? No rope marks around the neck? No suicide note? No history of depression or recent traumatic life changes? Sure, in that case discovering a broken hyoid might correctly move detectives toward a murder investigation. But the known facts of Epstein’s death, the known circumstances that he had indeed recently lost everything and stood little chance of redemption, matter greatly. Finding a broken hyoid bone on the autopsy is hardly a Columbo moment. Given the statistics, and given the context, it remains far more likely that Epstein broke his hyoid while killing himself than that it was broken as he was murdered.

The opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views and opinions of Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:I think lib lies. "From liberal news media".... his quoted source is "PJ Media (originally known as Pajamas Media) . . . an American conservative opinion and commentary collaborative blog that was founded in 2004"

If he intends to mean OpenSecrets.org, a more relevant quote is found below. As rube indicates, Epstein's recorded monetary donations were chicken-feed; $319,000 over 14 years

What I want to know, lib, is this: what's your point? (Generously assuming you have one - there's always a first time).
[/url]
Was Epstein a democrat and or a liberal? He acted like a liberal more liked Bill Clinton, the typical Democrat, than the typical Republican.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

RayThom

A Thread For Liberty To Express His New Posting Style

Post by RayThom »

Jeffrey Epstein’s Death Ruled Suicide by Hanging: New York City Medical Examiner
https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeffrey-e ... l-examiner

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

rubato

Post by rubato »

I did not say that breaking the hyoid bone was implausible. It is a u-shaped and very fragile bone and I mentioned that it is often broken accidentally during autopsy. I dissected one out while taking an anatomy class. I also said that you can definitively determine if it was broken at or before death by hemorrhaging at the broken ends.

What I said was surprising was the assertion that "several" bones were broken. I assume they had to mean more than two or else they would have said "two". I mentioned that the odontoid process might have broken (also known as the "dens") which is part of the 2nd cervical vertebra. But what could the third be?

There are a lot of physics questions too. How long was the rope? So how far did he fall before the rope came up short? If you consult "the new handbook of hanging" (which is at my parents house) you will learn that hanging someone is a bit of both art and science. If the drop is too short they strangle slowly which is distressing for spectators and if the drop is too far the head comes all the way off which is distressing in other ways; blood spraying &c. If I recall Robin Williams used a method which strangled him. Effective, but slightly more protracted. If I was going to kill myself in jail I think strangulation would be the best. Not so traumatic, less uncertain.

yrs,
rubato

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

liberty wrote:Was Epstein a democrat and or a liberal? He acted like a liberal more liked Bill Clinton, the typical Democrat, than the typical Republican.
What are you burbling about? You wrote that the source you quoted is "liberal news media". That's false. It was from a conservative website.

You told a porky, that's all. It has nothing to do with Epstein's political persuasion, so why bring it up here?
:shrug
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

liberty

Post by liberty »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
liberty wrote:Was Epstein a democrat and or a liberal? He acted like a liberal more liked Bill Clinton, the typical Democrat, than the typical Republican.
What are you burbling about? You wrote that the source you quoted is "liberal news media". That's false. It was from a conservative website.
Well, I will take your word for it. You may distort, but so far you don’t lie. But you are acting more and more liberal so you will get around to it. I expect you to renounce your faith in God any day now.

I should have known better liberals don’t speak ill of other liberals. Bill Clinton was innocent, right?
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

liberty wrote:Well, I will take your word for it. You may distort, but so far you don’t lie. But you are acting more and more liberal so you will get around to it. I expect you to renounce your faith in God any day now.

I should have known better liberals don’t speak ill of other liberals. Bill Clinton was innocent, right?
No one is innocent so . . . no, Bill wasn't. Hands up all those who think I'm acting more and more liberal?

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

No one is innocent so . . . no, Bill wasn't. Hands up all those who think I'm acting more and more liberal?
I don't know, Meade. Maybe lib's right. Every now and then you appear to be receptive to arguments of reason, common sense and human decency. These to me are liberal traits.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

liberty wrote:I should have known better liberals don’t speak ill of other liberals. Bill Clinton was innocent, right?
He was never found to be guilty of anything other than getting some on the side from an intern, was he?  And nowadays that's not even a misdemeanor anyway.
Beside, if Trump expects us to believe he is "innocent" of collusion with the Russians because the Mueller Report did not specifically outline any charges against him, then we must consider Clinton "innocent" of anything he was found not guilty of as well.  Sauce for the goose and sauce for the gander, y'know?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Not exactly BB, since he was never charged with getting anything on the side with an intern. He was cited for civil contempt of court for purposeful lying during the Paula Jones sexual harassment suit and fined $90,000 by the judge - subsequently paying $25,000 in a plea bargain agreement to avoid criminal charges.

Gosh! If Presidents could be fined $90,000 for lying, Donald Trump would be $1,080,000,000 in the hole as of a few days ago. With a bit of effort (and assuming he makes it to the end of term), he just might be able to pay off the National Debt!

Oh wait . . . he'd get all that money from charging the USA for his golf-trips to his own properties. Never mind.

liberty

Post by liberty »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:Not exactly BB, since he was never charged with getting anything on the side with an intern. He was cited for civil contempt of court for purposeful lying during the Paula Jones sexual harassment suit and fined $90,000 by the judge - subsequently paying $25,000 in a plea bargain agreement to avoid criminal charges.

Gosh! If Presidents could be fined $90,000 for lying, Donald Trump would be $1,080,000,000 in the hole as of a few days ago. With a bit of effort (and assuming he makes it to the end of term), he just might be able to pay off the National Debt!

Oh wait . . . he'd get all that money from charging the USA for his golf-trips to his own properties. Never mind.
Do you believe in lying by omission? You left out that Bill Clinton lied under oath that is a crime. Lying in its self is not a crime; liberals do it all the time.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Lying in its self is not a crime; liberals do it all the time.
So lib, lying is a liberal trait?

Well then, let me introduce you to the biggest Liberal in America:
Donald Trump Reaches Yet Another Bleak Milestone With His Lies

Donald Trump has now made more than 12,000 false and misleading statements since becoming president in January 2017, according to The Washington Post.

Trump’s total of untruths hit 12,019 on Aug. 5, the newspaper’s Fact Checker column reported Monday, which means he has made an average of nearly 13 untrue claims on each of the 928 days of his presidency.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-t ... 9Tii-eQXAv

Gee lib, I would never have figured you for a liberal supporter... :o
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

liberty wrote:
MajGenl.Meade wrote:Not exactly BB, since he was never charged with getting anything on the side with an intern. He was cited for civil contempt of court for purposeful lying during the Paula Jones sexual harassment suit and fined $90,000 by the judge - subsequently paying $25,000 in a plea bargain agreement to avoid criminal charges.
Do you believe in lying by omission? You left out that Bill Clinton lied under oath that is a crime. Lying in its self is not a crime; liberals do it all the time.
lib, trouble reading the big words again? I did NOT leave out "Bill Clinton lied under oath" nor that it was a crime.

That is exactly what this says: "He was cited for civil contempt of court for purposeful lying during the Paula Jones sexual harassment suit and fined $90,000 by the judge - subsequently paying $25,000 in a plea bargain agreement to avoid criminal charges".

See, he was in a court, in a civil trial, and he lied under oath. That was contempt of court and the lie is a criminal offense. Independent Counsel Robert Ray had to determine whether to file criminal charges for lying under oath or settle on a non-criminal penalty. He chose the latter on various grounds, including Clinton's subsequent honest admissions, his agreement to surrender his law license and the $25,000 dollar fine mentioned above. Clinton also had the $90,000 fine and a $350,000 settlement to Paula Jones.

So I'd have to ask you, is your post not lying by ignorance or did you do it on purpose?

liberty

Post by liberty »

I wonder how many years in prison I would get for burning a Puerto Rican flag? One can shit on the American and it is not a crime or even offensive. Liberal are such hypocrites and liars.

https://cw33.com/2018/07/13/illinois-ma ... lag-shirt/

Trybus could face up to five years in prison for each of the hate crime charges. He was released Friday on $10,000 bond.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

The chap could have burned a P.R. flag and, aside from showing himself to be as much of an ass as those who burn the U.S. flag, he would have committed no crime.

I guess you don't know the difference between a flag and an assault on a person. Why am I not surprise?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

If you or I reserved a picnic area for an event, and some drunken (an assumption based on the word slurring) loudmouth had gotten up in our face in this menacing and assaultive manner, and a cop was observing this (as one can see in the video he is doing from a very close distance) and we asked the cop for help, does anyone here doubt that the cop would have come over immediately and at the very least escorted the bullying oaf away from our location with a stern warning not to return?

Shame on this officer; it was absolutely correct for him to resign.
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Yeah lib, it would be fair to say that you've had a consistent tendency to "bury the lead" whenever you have referenced this story... :?
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:So I'd have to ask you, is your post not lying by ignorance or did you do it on purpose?
lib, in all the excitement over a nasty, rude, old white fart attacking a woman, you forgot to answer the question. You accused me of lying:
liberty wrote:Do you believe in lying by omission? You left out that Bill Clinton lied under oath that is a crime.
and I demonstrated without a doubt that I did not leave out that Clinton lied under oath, nor that it was a crime.

So, were YOU lying because you are ignorant or were YOU lying on purpose? Which is it?