A Thread For Liberty To Express His New Posting Style

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
liberty

Re: A Thread For Liberty To Express His New Posting Style

Post by liberty »

Why Does the Death Penalty Exist in Puerto Rico?

Posted February 12, 2013
AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to EmailShare to PrintShare to More

Contrary to the claims of Commonwealth proponents, there is no “compact” between the U.S. and Puerto Rico that grants Puerto Rico power equal to that of the federal government. The United States can – and does – unilaterally override Puerto Rican policy and preferences.

The death penalty was abolished in Puerto Rico in 1929, two years after the last local execution was held. Puerto Rico’s constitution, written in 1952, explicitly outlaws the death penalty, saying simply “the death penalty shall not exist.”

In 2000, U.S. District Judge Salvador Casellas ruled that the federal death penalty should not be applied in Puerto Rico because Puerto Rican residents have no voting representation in Congress, which reinstated the federal death penalty in 1994 as part of drug-related legislation. “It shocks the conscience to impose the ultimate penalty, death, upon American citizens who are denied the right to participate directly or indirectly in the government that enacts and authorizes the imposition of such punishment,” Casellas wrote.

And yet the death penalty is being sought in the case of LaShaun Casey, who was born on the mainland. While living in Puerto Rico, Casey was accused of carjacking and the murder of a police officer who disappeared while he was working on a drug-related case. The police officer’s cellphone was found at the home of Casey’s grandfather, along with a gun and marked bills used in the drug case. Casey was found driving the officer’s car. The body of the police officer was later found by the side of a road.

The Casey case is just the most recent example of the federal government of the United States demonstrating that it can – and will – override the will of Puerto Ricans, just as it will override states. The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico does not have more power than states, and it certainly does not have more power than the federal government.

The broader lesson of the Casey case is more significant than its ultimate outcome. After decades of official statements to the contrary, there is still a belief by some in Puerto Rico that the United States and Puerto Rico have – or can have in the future – some type of a “compact” that cannot be altered without mutual consent, with Puerto Rican power equal to that of the United States. The fact that the death penalty is being sought against Casey in Puerto Rico is clear proof that there is no compact. The United States government can – and will – do what it wants, even if the people of Puerto Rico disagree.

On December 27, 2009, Puerto Rican Resident Commissioner Pedro Pierluisi (D) sent a letter—signed by nine of his colleagues, including House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers (D-MI) —urging U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder “to revise U.S. Department of Justice’s (DOJ) policies and procedures so that, absent compelling circumstances, the federal death penalty will not be sought in states or territories, such as Puerto Rico, that specifically prohibit its application.”

In 2011, Holder issued a memorandum describing internal Department of Justice procedures for seeking the death penalty in a state or territory that prohibits it in its local courts by requiring DOJ to find that the federal interest is “more substantial” than the interest of the state or territory.

Even in a compromise memorandum, it is the United States government alone that makes the final determination.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The Village Idiot wrote:I need to change the channel because two foreigners are wiping the floor with me over my warped notions about constitutional law.
FTFY
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I did notice what you did there, Meade.
Oh oh the USA is going to march troops through us to get to South Carolina! Oh oh! Their INVADING!!! GASP!!!
That's very wicked of you.

liberty

Post by liberty »

“Shit For Brains” what a stupid fat little monkey. How could it observe someone for years and not know him. When you bore me I move on to another subject. I might come back to it, but at the moment I am tired of it. Sometimes I get tired of everything, but that is just life it passes.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The Village Idiot wrote:When my pinhead sized brain finally recognizes that I have dug myself into a hole from which I cannot escape, I move on to another subject.
FTFY

-- Author unknown

liberty

Post by liberty »

“Shit For Brains”, what a stupid fat little monkey that thinks it can manipulate me.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The Village Idiot wrote:I keep avoiding the subject because I know that I have been proven wrong and am too much of the pathetic cowardly chicken shit that my moronic incestuous parents made me to admit it.

-- Author unknown

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I think you give the man too much credit.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I guess it could be that he lacks the attention span of a paper clip.

-- Author unknown

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

If he had the slightest capability for self reflection you’ve been crediting him with he would at least be able to admit his blatant racism.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Crackpot wrote:If he had the slightest capability for self reflection you’ve been crediting him with he would at least be able to admit his blatant racism.
I don’t waste my precious time worrying about what little fat monkeys do. If you want to smoke crack go ahead. If “Shit For Brains” wants to suck the Devil’s dick at least it is with its own.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Oh yeah he also thinks the above passes for wit.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:I did notice what you did there, Meade.
Oh oh the USA is going to march troops through us to get to South Carolina! Oh oh! Their INVADING!!! GASP!!!
That's very wicked of you.
Well... you know... Arkansas...
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

liberty

Post by liberty »

The American flag is a racist symbol that should be banded.

https://www.nowtheendbegins.com/someone ... y-quakers/

Former quarterback-turned-social-justice-warrior Colin Kaepernick caused a stir right before the July Fourth holiday after somehow convincing Nike’s top brass that a patriotic shoe it was set to release represented slavery.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/04/nikes-pat ... st-symbol/

Nike’s pathetic Colin Kaepernick bungle turned Betsy Ross flag into racist symbol

By Jonah Goldberg

July 4, 2019 | 6:22pm
Enlarge Image
Nike canceled a Betsy Ross flag sneaker after Colin Kaepernick said he found it offensive.
Nike canceled a Betsy Ross flag sneaker after Colin Kaepernick said he found it offensive. Getty Images; Shutterstock
More from:
Jonah Goldberg
Jonah Goldberg
The real concentration camps are in China — but US leaders are silent
The media's cynical milking of the culture wars
The limits of Trump's superpowers
Slamming a whole generation is just lazy and cheap
Why the knives are out for Joe Biden

Nike is doing it wrong.

I don’t mean the shoemaking, though that thing with Zion Williamson was pretty bad, I have to say.

No, Nike is doing it wrong because it managed to do something that all the neo-Nazis, Klansmen, alt-righters and other denizens of the lowest coprophagic phylum of our political life could never do: It turned the Betsy Ross flag into a racist symbol.

By now you’ve probably heard that Nike decided to take the advice of Colin Kaepernick, the former NFL quarterback who ignited so much controversy by refusing to stand for the national anthem. Nike was all set to release a line of sneakers for the Fourth of July featuring the original Betsy Ross American flag with 13 stars in a circle.

According to reports, Kaepernick took offense because a handful of extremist groups like to brandish the original American flag to make some sort of point about something no one should care about. (I gather it has something to do with how this was “their” country before the federal government was formed. Or maybe, like many gibbons, they just like the sparkly stars and bright colors.)

The thing is, most Americans — and when I say most, I mean, like, nearly all of them — had no idea white supremacists were doing this. In countless news stories, reporters contacted experts who either didn’t know about it or were only vaguely aware that this is one of the things these groups like to wear as capes during dress-up time.

“If all these historians didn’t know [the relationship between white supremacy and the Betsy Ross flag], then Nike shouldn’t be expected to know it,” Mary Beth Norton, an American history professor at Cornell University, told CNBC.

The Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism has a database with more than 150 “hate symbols.” The Betsy Ross flag isn’t among them.

“The Betsy Ross flag is a common historical flag,” Mark Pitcavage of the ADL told CNBC. While it’s been used by white supremacists “from time to time,” he has “never once thought about” adding the Betsy Ross flag to the list.

Nonetheless, it’s true that if you search through enough old photos of Klan rallies and neo-Nazi pageants, you can spot a Betsy Ross flag from time to time.

Do you know what else you can probably spot if you look long and hard enough? Nike sneakers. Does that make Nikes symbols of white supremacy?

Of course not. But what if these groups started wearing T-shirts with the Nike “swoosh” on them?

Frankly, I think it would be a brilliant move by these hate groups to do just that. Nike would freak out, giving these attention-seekers a bonanza in free publicity.
see also
This Fourth of July, why patriotism is worth defending

Innocuous or even noble symbols can be appropriated for evil purposes. The swastika is an ancient symbol in various Asian cultures. It was adopted in Europe as a symbol of good luck until the Nazis made it their own. The KKK’s pointy hoods may have been inspired by the Catholic capirote of medieval Spain and Portugal, which looks dismayingly similar.

But here’s the thing: When evil people acquire symbols for their own ends, the only guarantee of success is when everyone else validates the acquisition.

If Nike had gone ahead with the special-edition sneakers, it would have been, in marketing terms, the equivalent of Godzilla versus Bambi. A few neo-Nazis and a few more social justice warriors would have complained, and everyone else would have gone about their day totally unconcerned.

Instead, Nike followed the advice of a man whose business model is to stir grievance and controversy for its own sake. Suddenly, millions of people who once thought the Betsy Ross flag was just an admirable bit of Americana now associate it with hate groups. Worse, other entirely decent and patriotic Americans will now likely start brandishing the flag to offend people who, until recently, had no idea some hate groups adopted the flag in the first place.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

This is upsetting. I wanted a pair of racist shoes and now I can't get them. Colin Kaepernick should go back where he came from!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I see liberty is busy cut-and-pasting again, probably because he doesn't have an original thought in his head.

Hey lib .... next time, try editing out the unneccessary and extraneous stuff, like references to photos that don't exist?

And by the way ...
The word you were struggling for is 'banned'.
But you're getting better.  You were only off by one measly little letter.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

liberty

Post by liberty »

Bicycle Bill wrote:I see liberty is busy cut-and-pasting again, probably because he doesn't have an original thought in his head.

Fuck you mother fucking son of bitch I will do what I want. When I am depressed I do a lot more cut and past.

Hey lib .... next time, try editing out the unneccessary and extraneous stuff, like references to photos that don't exist?

No, I won’t do it: I want to make you suffer. Vote to ban the American flag or you a racist.

And by the way ...
The word you were struggling for is 'banned'.

But you're getting better.  You were only off by one measly little letter.
-"BB"-

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

From liberty's sig line:
"I agreed to join the air force; Mama thought I would be safe in the air force.  But the air force has its own combat positions manned by enlisted.  I told my recruiter to put me where I could do the most good."
So the recruiter sent you back home to Mama, right?
And by the way ... isn't "air force", when used as the name of an organization, supposed to be capitalized?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill wrote:try editing out the unnecessary and extraneous stuff
Silly Billy! If he did that, lib's posts would look like this:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I sincerely hope Liberty does not leave us. He keeps me informed about an important segment of the American population and he also manages to make wesw look good.

snailgate.