A Thread For Liberty To Express His New Posting Style

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Big RR

Re: A Thread For Liberty To Express His New Posting Style

Post by Big RR »

I recall 30 - 35 kids in a class as well; my kids usually had around 25, but if it went above 30 - 35, the teacher (at least in the lower grades) would get an assistant (although I am not entirely sure what the assistant did, I think (s)he provided one on one help to those needing it). In high school, for me and my kids, it was usually 35 - 40 (except in classes many kids avoided, like advanced math and physics).

liberty

Post by liberty »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
liberty wrote:L.A. teacher are on strike and the goal should be $100,000 for beginning teacher and $200,000 for experienced teachers and scheduled raises each year. And class sizes of no more than 5 to 10 students per class. They deserve this and more.
I cannot even begin to imagine the mixture of mood-altering chemicals you must have been on when you posted that.
-"BB"-
Damn bill it is simple, no need for drugs: It is always easier to spend other people’s money. I enjoy it. If I could I would like to spend your stated into poverty or into a shooting civil war. That would be worth the popcorn.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Post by liberty »

This happened yesterday in Monroe: I had decided to take break and get me a couple pieces of chicken for a snack. I was unable park in the parking lot so I parked next door across the street and walked over. I was about half way across the traffic lane of the parking lot when I tripped on something. I was falling forward trying to increase my speed to regain my balance when I heard” hit and roll’ . I bent over with my shoulder to the right hit the ground and rolled my shoulder and then my hip and back on my feet almost without breaking stride. I looked back and could not see what I had tripped on. And then I thought that wasn’t a bad move for a fossil. I didn’t even get a bruise out of it.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Well... that finally answers the age old question, "Why did liberty cross the road?"

For some chicken and a roll...

btw - good move, lib. You give hope to us future fossils.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

liberty wrote:... I looked back and could not see what I had tripped on. And then I thought that wasn’t a bad move for a fossil. I didn’t even get a bruise out of it.
This may have been an ego trip. Just when you think your "get up and go" got up and went.

Now for the ultimate test, try crossing a much busier highway the next time.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

There was no danger of hitting his head because it's always up his ass.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I looked back and could not see what I had tripped on.
Probably something dropped there by an inconsiderate black person...
ImageImageImage

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Good catch, Jim. It's because of the high black ill litterer rate in the south.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Well, you know how those black people are...

They weren't even smart enough to figure out how to invent cows...
ImageImageImage

liberty

Post by liberty »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
liberty wrote:L.A. teacher are on strike and the goal should be $100,000 for beginning teacher and $200,000 for experienced teachers and scheduled raises each year. And class sizes of no more than 5 to 10 students per class. They deserve this and more.
I cannot even begin to imagine the mixture of mood-altering chemicals you must have been on when you posted that.
-"BB"-
What you hate teachers? California should live up to their principles and make ever teacher a millionaire. It is so much fun to spend other people’s (liberal's) money.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Let's look that this completely unreasonable and totally selfish deal that L.A. teachers accepted:

6% salary increase (3% for last year, 3% for this year)

Average and maximum class sizes reduced by 4 over 3 yrs, district's ability to unilaterally breach maximums is removed. For high schools, is currently 35 avg & 39 max, but classes of 40+ are routine and for subjects where there is a shortage of teachers, can exceed 50. Current K-3 is 24 avg & 27 max, but often closer to 30

300 additional school nurses over 2 years, so every school has a nurse.

77 additional counsellors, reducing student-counsellor ratio to 500:1

82 additional librarians, all middle and high schools will have a librarian.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

rubato

Post by rubato »

"77 additional counsellors, reducing student-counsellor ratio to 500:1"

500 : 1 !!!

staggering

yrs.
rubato

liberty

Post by liberty »

Thinking about this:

Why is it that a bird can build a nest without being trained to do it?
Why is it that the off spring rats trained to run a maze have an easier time learning to run the maze than their parents?
Why is it that all babies from all over the world use the same phonemes before they learn to speak their native language?
Why is it generally speaking; that, the off spring of good student tend to be good student themselves?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Not really thinking about this:

How do dogs know to pee on fire hydrants?
Why don't fish drown?
Why do babies from all over the world smile when they poop their pants?
Why do the offspring of stupid students tend to be stupid students too?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And a few more considerations to avoid:

Why aren't the offspring of geniuses, geniuses themselves?

How can a helium balloon fly without being taught to?

How does a thermos know whether to keep something hot or cold?

Why aren't fish smarter if they're always in schools?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

[quote]Why is it that the off spring rats trained to run a maze have an easier time learning to run the maze than their parents?[/quote

I recall this from the early seventies, probably. The idea is Lamarckian inheritance of acquired characteristics and it's been widely discredited. Experiments, AFAIK, which attempt to show this, have all had flaws which a competent scientist can spot and eliminate.

Do you have a reference for this? I'd love to read it. I recall one experiment where it turned out that the parent rats had been leaving chemical trails which their kids and grandkids followed.

rubato

Post by rubato »

Geniuses often produce children are are also geniuses:

Nobel Prizes:

Mother & daughter
Marie Curie
Irène Joliot-Curie

Father & daughter
Pierre Curie
Irène Joliot-Curie

Father & son
William Bragg
Lawrence Bragg

Niels Bohr
Aage N. Bohr

Hans von Euler-Chelpin
Ulf von Euler

Arthur Kornberg
Roger D. Kornberg

Manne Siegbahn
Kai M. Siegbahn

J. J. Thomson
George Paget Thomson

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

There is current research establishing that intelligence is genetic and passed from the mother on the X chromosome:

Mommy made me smart!

I’m sure genius fathers who participate in child-rearing have a significant impact on intellectual development.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Yes Rube and BSG: there is plenty of evidence that intelligence, like other characteristics with at least some biological basis, is to some extent genetic and thus inheritable.
Why is it that the off spring rats trained to run a maze have an easier time learning to run the maze than their parents?

This statement is not claiming that. It is stating that the acquired characteristic (knowledge of how to run a maze) is somehow transmitted to the offspring. If it is saying that rats who are good at learning mazes have offspring that are also good at learning mazes, it's a trivial result. If it is saying that rats who have learned to run mazes somehow transmit that specific knowledge in utero to their offspring I doubt it; it smacks of Lysenkoism/Lamarckism and I just doubt it.

There is a whole (I think dubious) field of study called epigenetics which purports to examine this. I think it's mostly bollocks.

liberty

Post by liberty »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Why is it that the off spring rats trained to run a maze have an easier time learning to run the maze than their parents?[/quote

I recall this from the early seventies, probably. The idea is Lamarckian inheritance of acquired characteristics and it's been widely discredited. Experiments, AFAIK, which attempt to show this, have all had flaws which a competent scientist can spot and eliminate.

Do you have a reference for this? I'd love to read it. I recall one experiment where it turned out that the parent rats had been leaving chemical trails which their kids and grandkids followed.
It is a few years old; do you have anything more recent?
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... igenetics/

Science & InnovationOnly Human
Mice Inherit Specific Memories, Because Epigenetics?

The researchers made mice afraid of a fruity odor, called acetophenone, by pairing it with a mild shock to the foot. In a study published a few years ago, Ressler had shown that this type of fear learning is specific: Mice trained to fear one particular smell show an increased startle to that odor but not others. What’s more, this fear learning changes the organization of neurons in the animal’s nose, leading to more cells that are sensitive to that particular smell.

Ten days after this fear training, Dias allowed the animals to mate. And that’s where the crazy begins. The offspring (known as the F1 generation) show an increased startle to the fruity smell even when they have never encountered the smell before, and thus have no obvious reason to be sensitive to it. And their reaction is specific: They do not startle to another odor called propanol. Craziest of all, their offspring (the F2 generation) show the same increased sensitivity to acetophenone.