Whitey Bulger dead

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Jarlaxle

Whitey Bulger dead

Post by Jarlaxle »

Murdered earlier today.

Long Run

Re: Whitey Bulger dead

Post by Long Run »

Death penalty imposed by his peers.

RayThom

Whitey Bulger Dead

Post by RayThom »

"Almost heaven, West Virginia... take me home... "

Oh, well, ol' Whitey was well past his shelf life, anyway.

I bet there won't be a wet eye at his funeral service.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I understand he was brutally beaten to death, and that the assailants also tried to cut out his tongue and gouge out his eyes...

In his case, I'm good with that...
ImageImageImage

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Lord Jim wrote:I understand he was brutally beaten to death, and that the assailants also tried to cut out his tongue and gouge out his eyes...

In his case, I'm good with that...
It would be nice if we know they did all that while the bastard was still conscious.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I have no sympathy for Whitey Ford and what he did, and was convicted of doing.

But: this stinks. The day he was transferred to another federal jail, he was killed? He just happened to end up in the general population with a known Massachusetts mob killer who was known to hate snitches above all others? Really? Our law enforcement should not collude with the mob even tacitly. I know Ford lived and died by the sword. But I cannot believe that there was not collusion with law enforcement here.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Thanks for being the first to make this point, so I can join in. No sympathy for Bulger he was a monster and I suppose there is some cosmic justice in the way he died - BUT, the government needs to be able to rely on ‘rats’ to get bad guys, and there will be fewer folks willing to cooperate when they see the prison officials fail to put such inmates in protective custody where they belong.

I don’t rejoice in the prison murders of bad guys anymore than I do in the scourge of prison rape; the state should be better than the criminals including making a safe environment in prison as much as possible, especially given the BILLIONS we spend on prisons - oh, and the fact that far too many people there are ACTUALLY INNOCENT.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I have no sympathy for Whitey Ford and what he did
Neither do I...

He pitched for the Yankees for 16 years fercrisakes; that's inexcusable... 8-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitey_Ford

90 and still kickin' :ok
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Lord Jim wrote:
I have no sympathy for Whitey Ford and what he did
Neither do I...

He pitched for the Yankees for 16 years fercrisakes; that's inexcusable... 8-)

90 and still kickin' :ok
Please pardon the neurological flatulence. It's easy to confuse America's national sport and a game where grown men try to hit each other. I sometimes forget which is which.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:Thanks for being the first to make this point, so I can join in. No sympathy for Bulger he was a monster and I suppose there is some cosmic justice in the way he died - BUT, the government needs to be able to rely on ‘rats’ to get bad guys, and there will be fewer folks willing to cooperate when they see the prison officials fail to put such inmates in protective custody where they belong.

I don’t rejoice in the prison murders of bad guys anymore than I do in the scourge of prison rape; the state should be better than the criminals including making a safe environment in prison as much as possible, especially given the BILLIONS we spend on prisons - oh, and the fact that far too many people there are ACTUALLY INNOCENT.
The prison staff should be-personally and criminally-responsible for inmates' safety.

If the end result is everyone in their cells 24 hours a day, so be it.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Who gave Whitey Ford that racist name?

RayThom

Whitey Bulger Dead

Post by RayThom »

Whitey Bulger...

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I knew about Bulger in general terms from him being on the FBI’s most wanted for years, but since his death I’ve been educating myself on the deets and just have to recommend the excellent documentary Whitey: the United States of America v. James J. Bulger, which was released in 2014 after his trial. It’s got tons of interesting interviews with all kinds of folks and includes Whitey talking to his lawyer. Most interesting to me is that it’s very clear the corruption in the FBI and DOJ ran deep, and that John Connolly took the rap for a lot of other people. Not suggesting he wasn’t a bad cop, but it seems clear he was far from the only one.

I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll end up this life with any respect left for so-called law enforcement.

The documentary is on Amazon and can be watched free with a free trial subscription to one of the deluxe channels.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Book: The Brothers Bulger: How They Terrorized and Corrupted Boston For A Quarter Century.

Quite simply: for at least ten years, the Boston FBI field office was run as an extension of the Winter Hill Gang.