Looks A Mite Chilly...

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Lord Jim

Looks A Mite Chilly...

Post by Lord Jim »

Record-low temperatures hitting the Midwest

Wind chills near Chicago could fall to 55 below zero, :shock: with Minneapolis and other areas seeing even more extreme readings

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Extreme cold and record-breaking temperatures are crawling into parts of the Midwest after a powerful snowstorm pounded the region, and forecasters warn that the frigid weather could be life-threatening.

Minneapolis Public Schools officials have canceled classes through Wednesday, when the region is expected to experience frigidly low temperatures not seen in a quarter century. Hundreds of Michigan schools were closed Tuesday, including in Detroit, while Chicago Public Schools canceled Wednesday classes because of the anticipated cold snap.

“You’re talking about frostbite and hypothermia issues very quickly, like in a matter of minutes, maybe seconds,” said Brian Hurley, a meteorologist with the Weather Prediction Center.

Subzero temperatures will begin Tuesday, but Wednesday is expected to be the worst. Wind chills in northern Illinois could fall to negative 55 degrees (negative 48 degrees Celsius), which the National Weather Service called “possibly life threatening.” Minnesota temperatures could hit minus 30 degrees (negative 34 degrees Celsius) with a wind chill of negative 60 (negative 51 degrees Celsius).

The potentially record-breaking low temperature forecast in Milwaukee is negative 28 degrees (negative 33 degrees Celsius), with a wind chill as low as negative 50 (negative 45 degrees Celsius). The current record of minus 26 degrees (negative 32 degrees Celsius) was set in 1996.

“That’s 40 degrees below normal,” Hurley said.

The unusually frigid weather is attributed to a sudden warming far above the North Pole . A blast of warm air from misplaced Moroccan heat last month made the normally super chilly air temperatures above the North Pole rapidly increase. That split the polar vortex into pieces, which then started to wander, said Judah Cohen, a winter storm expert for Atmospheric Environmental Research.

One of those polar vortex pieces is responsible for the subzero temperatures across the Midwest this week.

The Chicago Zoological Society said it was closing the Brookfield Zoo on Wednesday and Thursday — marking only the fourth time the zoo has closed during its 85-year history — to ensure the safety of its employees and animals. At O’Hare International Airport in Chicago, the high temperature Wednesday is expected to be negative 14 degrees (negative 25 degrees Celsius), which would break a record set on Jan. 18, 1994.

Homeless shelters were also preparing for the onslaught of cold. The Milwaukee Rescue Mission’s call volume was “unusually high,” but officials said there should still be enough beds for those who need them.

In Minneapolis, charitable groups that operate warming places and shelters were expanding hours and capacity “as they do whenever dangerous extreme temperature events occur,” said Hennepin County Emergency Management Director Eric Waage. He said ambulance crews were handling all outside response incidents as being potentially life-threatening.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said city agencies are making sure homeless people are in shelters or offered space in warming buses. He also urged residents to check on their neighbors and take safety precautions.

The governors in Michigan and Wisconsin have declared states of emergency ahead of the dangerously cold weather.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/recor ... 2019-01-29
ImageImageImage

dales

Re: Looks A Mite Chilly...

Post by dales »

My late mother and father moved to CA in 1948 from the mid-west and never looked back.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Every time I'm tempted to move to Chicago (and that's pretty regularly), I get a reminder like this. Well, I'm off to Miami this weekend, so so long, suckers!
GAH!

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Lord Jim wrote: The unusually frigid weather is attributed to a sudden warming far above the North Pole . A blast of warm air from misplaced Moroccan heat last month made the normally super chilly air temperatures above the North Pole rapidly increase. That split the polar vortex into pieces, which then started to wander, said Judah Cohen, a winter storm expert for Atmospheric Environmental Research.
Morocco has enough on its plate without being blamed for our bad weather. Crazy cold.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

This weekend we will be back in the 40’s
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Allegedly 3F (-16C) here - a little snow overnight. I cleared it (well, enough to get one car out) off the driveway and hopefully the sun will do the rest. I was layered up pretty well and only my hands, despite two pairs of gloves, were cold by the time I finished.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:lol: :ok
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Proves Trump has stopped global warming

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Nah he laid waste to the lie of the global conspiracy.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

:lol:

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

RayThom

Looks A Mite Chilly...

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Deceased?

rubato

Post by rubato »

I understand what he is doing but I think the swearing is a mistake. "The Science Guy" needs to present himself with some dignity as an authority in order to fulfill his larger mission. He went for the cheap laugh and it was a mistake.

yrs,
rubato

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

There's that agreeing with rubato thing again. When will it cease?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

He plays a pseudo version of himself in a recurring role on the TV show Blindspot (as the father of one of the characters) so I don't know if "dignity" is really what he's aiming for...
ImageImageImage