The Snooze-Fest Is Over

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
dales

The Snooze-Fest Is Over

Post by dales »

Stupor Bowl 53.

Thankfully it's finally over, the endless hype grew tiresome.

Now on to opening day MLB! :ok

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: The Snooze-Fest Is Over

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Speaking as a former defensive lineman from my high-school team I could appreciate a well-played game dominated by the defense, which seemed to be able to counter just about anything the opposing offense threw at it.  This was football as it should be played, not a game of patty-cake, don't-touch-the-QB-or-the-receivers "throwball" that it seems to have degenerated into.

I also applaud the referees for keeping themselves out of the game as much as possible.  Sure they called some penalties, but there more than a couple of plays where they could have maybe thrown a flag but decided to "let 'em play" and kept it in their pocket.

Now, if they can just get rid of the overblown half-time bullshit.  Who or what is a 'Maroon 5', or either of those two rappers that popped up as part of the show?  And what was the deal with the rest of the light show including the remote-controlled Chinese lanterns?  It's supposed to be a short halftime to allow the teams to regroup, f'rchrissakes; not a 45-minute extravaganza for the benefit of (in this instance) Pepsi-Cola.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

That's what ya get when trash performers and trailer trash collide.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I could appreciate a well-played game dominated by the defense
Well that makes two of you...(I believe Big RR is also an officiando of no-score football; also in this case it looked to me like the lowest scoring game in Super Bowl history was at least as much a result of offensive ineptitude as defensiveness prowess...)

Personally, I'm not a big fan of punting duels... (There were 14 of them in this game)...

Hell, that game was damn near as boring as a cricket match... :o
ImageImageImage

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

What happened to all the wonderful, fabulous, never-to-be-forgotten, Super Bowl commercials?

OK, so I did not watch the whole game.I saw some of the first half, then most of the last half. But mostly I saw CBS plugs for other shows. A Verizon commercial, a Budweiser commercial featuring a Nobel laureate. Hours later that is all I can recall.

I remember more interesting hype before the game about Superb Owls.

snailgate.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Lord Jim wrote:
I could appreciate a well-played game dominated by the defense
Well that makes two of you...(I believe Big RR is also an officiando of no-score football; also in this case it looked to me like the lowest scoring game in Super Bowl history was at least as much a result of offensive ineptitude as defensiveness prowess...)

Personally, I'm not a big fan of punting duels... (There were 14 of them in this game)...

Hell, that game was damn near as boring as a cricket match... :o
You called it right Jim; personally, I don't think either offense played that well, but the defenses played well and I was happy to see Brady et al.for the most part shut down by a good defense. I'll trade that any day for a high scoring, non defensive game. Do you really need the scoreboard to tell you whether the players are doing well or not?

FWIW, I was the only one in my house that felt that way.

As for halftime, Adam Levine is getting a bit long in the tooth to run around without his shirt, and that Travis singer sounded horrible (bad engineering or nerves?). The other guy looked like he stole one of Liberace's furs. But then I never recall a halftime performance I liked.
Last edited by Big RR on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

"Personally, I'm not a big fan of punting duels... (There were 14 of them in this game)..."

That's why Americans call it foot ball. The only time a foot intentionally touches the ball (shaped unlike any real ball), is when the team does not want to play with it it any more.

snailgate

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Burning Petard wrote:... the ball (shaped unlike any real ball) ...
I beg to differ.
                 RUGBY BALL                            AUSTRALIAN-RULES FOOTBALL ("FOOTIE") BALL
Image    Image
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

TRUMP INVITES PATRIOTS TO WHITE HOUSE                     
TO CELEBRATE SUPER BOWL VICTORY                   
-"BB"-

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Big RR wrote:Adam Levine is getting a bit long in the tooth to run around without his shirt
Well, I wouldn't go that far...

I'm not a fan of all the tattoos, but if my body still looked like that, I'd take pretty much any excuse I could get to go shirtless.

It was certainly an improvement on that shirt, which memes were merciless in comparing to drapery fabric, sofa cushions, etc.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Count me in the minority who liked the game as well. The defenses did an excellent job at throwing both offenses off their game. It was pretty clear that the Patriots were the superior team, but continued with their penchant for not taking advantage of their dominance so it was a close game until the last few minutes.

As for commercials, the only one I recall as being good was the Hyundai elevator.