This an update on my three pet peeves

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Big RR

Re: This an update on my three pet peeves

Post by Big RR »

If an amateur paleontologist discovered a dinosaur fossil, would his discovery be any less valid just because he would not be getting paid for the work done.
Of course not, but if he pronounces that it is an alien species from another planet, the he is likely just showing his ignorance.

wesw

Post by wesw »

either way, sue is a commie......

....is that the path that you choose?

choose wisely.

liberty lives , or dies, with you.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

When it comes to discussions about science, there's always an xkcd cartoon...
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

We seem to be losing the BC/AD verse (before the common era) BCE / CE (common era) struggle; I see increasing usage of this subversive dating system. Let the atheist devise their own system instead of stealing the Christian calendar.

This (along with the other two non-starters) is a peeve? You sit around being bothered?

First, why don't you just declare (to yourself) that BCE is Before the Christian Era and CE is the Christian Era? Result - happiness

Second, there is no second.

I think you should be more peeved that 4 BC is not more accurately referred to as AD 1. That's a real slap in the face
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Impeccable logic Meade.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Seems to be demonstrated here that for true-believer conservatives, 'Communist' is to political discussions as "Cult' is to religious discussions.

The only functional definition of 'cult' I can derive from those discussions is that 'a cult' is a religious organization I don't like. Seems to be similar here for 'communist'

snailgate

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I think you're right; Russia is (or at least was) often a synonym for communist--I recall my father saying something like "you'd never get away with that in Russia, the communists would send you to Siberia" whenever he saw something he didn't like (such as giving rights to those accused of crimes, or protestors, etc.), and my "I agree, that's why I'm glad I'm here--but it doesn't mean we can't make it better" never got the response I thought it deserved, because he sincerely thought the Russians/Communists stood for everything he opposed.