School Shooters Still Claiming Victims

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

School Shooters Still Claiming Victims

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Over the past week, three people — two students who survived the shooting at their school in Parkland, Florida, and the father of one of the victims of the Sandy Hook school shooting in Newton, Connecticut in December 2012 — have taken their own lives.

Most recently reported is the death of Jeremy Richman, age 49, whose six-year-old daughter Avielle Richman died in the incident on December 14, 2012.  He was found dead Monday morning (3/25) from an apparent suicide, according to police in Newtown, Connecticut.

This comes in the wake of the deaths by suicide of two students with connections to the bloodbath that occurred at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL on Valentine's Day 2018.  On March 17, former Stoneman Douglas student Sydney Aiello, 19, died at her home in Coconut Creek from a gunshot wound to the head, according to the Broward County medical examiner's office.  She had been a friend of 18-year-old Meadow Pollack, who died in the massacre, and Aiello's mother told news reporters that her daughter had struggled with survivor's guilt and was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) following the incident.

Then on Sunday, March 24, a second student attending the high school was found dead of what police are calling "an apparent suicide".  He has not yet been publicly identified and additional details have yet to be released, although it was confirmed that he had been a student at Stoneman Douglas during the current academic year.  It has not yet been revealed as to whether or not this person had been attending the school at the time of last year's shooting.

My thoughts go out to the families newly affected; and of course one must wonder how the families of other survivors — or relatives of victims — will take this.  Depression can be a crippling, if not downright deadly, condition — as shown by these three deaths.  It is probably too much to hope that public health officials will proactively reach out to this group of people to try to prevent any more senseless loss of life; I just pray that those people who find themselves in circumstances such as these, or their loved one, recognize their condition and stop at nothing to get the help they need.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Lord Jim

Re: School Shooters Still Claiming Victims

Post by Lord Jim »

Terribly sad but important reminders that those who have survived these sorts of horrific ordeals will continue to need help and support long after the events have faded from the headlines. :cry:
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

How much blame do we attribute to those who vilified the survivors, accused them of being crisis actors, or claimed that the whole shooting was staged? These kids should have felt nothing but solidarity and unqualified support from the entire country; instead, half of their fellow citizens were ripping into them like rabid jackals.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

How do you suppose it makes them feel to see another country enact sweeping gun control within days of a massacre, when the deaths of their children or schoolmates weren’t compelling enough to change anything here?
(Did they *finally* get that bump stock ban passed after the 58 dead and HUNDREDS more shot in Vegas? I lost track.)

There’s no amount of mental health counseling that can counteract THAT injustice.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Scooter--I don't think it was half, but even one is far too many and it was a lot more than that.