Terrible Loss...

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
RayThom

Terrible Loss...

Post by RayThom »

Hey, I was watching when the Notre Dame Cathedral came tumbling down. And I was watching from Square Rene Viviani, across the River Seine, where thousands and thousands of Muslims were cheering as that building was coming down. Thousands of Arabs were cheering.

Sad.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

liberty

Re: Terrible Loss...

Post by liberty »

liberty wrote:
Bicycle Bill wrote:And now for the view from the lunatic fringe.
liberty wrote:I would not rule out arson. There are people like “Shit For Brains” that go beyond just being atheists that are anti-Christian that have a hatred for Christianity. And it is a historical symbol of Christianity. I would take a very close look at all the people that worked in or on the cathedral. If it was arson and if it was organized we will know before long. An organization would take credit as soon their operatives are safely out of the country.
-"BB"-

fixed that.
What is lunatic fringe about that? You do agree that people do intently burn churches don’t you. And I didn’t say the fire was intentionally set, but it could have been. If I was at war with a society I wouldn’t kill a bunch of people. People get used to that and put it out of their minds. Look how many people are killed in the inner city of Chicago each year. Does anyone care about that? It is even considered racist to mention it. No, people really don’t care; the things to attack are things like cultural icons and elements of the economy like bridges, the electrical grid and trains.

But it could have just been caused by the careless of a construction worker. If it was something like a frayed extension cord powering a carpenter’s circular saw that would be third world. And that would beg the question why would a first world country like France tolerate third world safety standards? It will be interesting to see what actually caused the fire.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

You do agree that people do intently burn churches don’t you.
Oh, I don't think you'll get any dispute about that lib...

We have an excellent recent example, in your home state...
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I didn’t say the fire was intentionally set, but it could have been.
Fair enough, and ultimately that remains a possibility, but that is not at the moment the direction in which any of the available evidence points...

All the available evidence as of now suggests a combination of inadequate up-keep combined with some sort of accidental combustion as being the most likely cause.

Excerpted from an excellent article about this:
Even though there’s a lot for fire investigators still to unpack, fire experts say there are a number of explanations for why the cathedral was at risk and why, once the fire got going, it was so difficult to fight.

To find out more, I called Thomas Gernay, an assistant professor of civil engineering at Johns Hopkins University who studies how fires affect structures. [I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest that Prof. Gernay might be a more knowledgeable source about this than "InfoWars"]He described four big hazards that combined to fuel the destruction.

Built in the late 12th century, the cathedral was beginning to show its age. Pollution, weathering, and acid rain stained and pitted its walls and gargoyles. And there were conflicts over who should pay for its upkeep, delaying much-needed maintenance, like removing flammable dust or waxing the wooden roof structure to prevent it from drying out.[That goes to something I was wondering about...I knew there was a lot of very old wood in the structure, but I was wondering why it hadn't been treated with modern fire retardant materials. It looks like what was going on is that the kind of maintenance that would have prevented this fire from getting out of hand as fast as it did had been held up by bureaucratic squabbling... :roll: ]

That’s a big reason extensive renovations were underway when the fire broke out.

Bringing power tools, electric lamps, and welding equipment in close proximity to a centuries-old building increases the risk of ignition. This is a hazard that comes with any kind of renovation at this scale, but it’s especially risky with a structure that wasn’t designed with fire prevention in mind. The scaffolding structure also provided fuel for the fire.

“There are lots of construction fires. It’s quite a common situation,” Gernay said. “If you combine that with a building that was built at the time where there were no fire protection codes, that’s the situation we are observing.”
Well worth reading the entire article here:

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/16/18312072/ ... edral-fire
ImageImageImage

rubato

Post by rubato »

In the end it may bring a great deal of good. It will provide a focus for sacrifice on behalf of the community which nearly everyone will agree with. Already French industrialists have pledged 600M Euros to its reconstruction and I am sure that international donations will flood in along with amounts from more average bank accounts.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/sk ... illionaire

It is well for us to have a grand purpose we can work towards together. It unites us in our common humanity and demonstrates the capacity for love for the larger community.

yrs,
rubato

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Don't worry ... we all knew what you meant, even before you corrected it.
And it's still all Stierenscheiße.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

liberty

Post by liberty »

Bicycle Bill wrote:Don't worry ... we all knew what you meant, even before you corrected it.
And it's still all Stierenscheiße.
-"BB"-
I am not sure what that means, but suspect it means something like nonsense or crap or some insult. I myself am not much for insults. I would prefer not to use them.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

What is lunatic fringe about that? We all know there a vast intertentional atheist conspiracy scheming day and night to burn Christian buildings! They must based in Canada because. They might not have fired to Notre Dame (which means New Dame) but if then the liberal atheist French government is to blame.Negloi Naglect for not inspecting powerful tools which is third world. Russian hoards... Steppes... weak...

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

A good piece in NYT about the (lack of) fire precautions in the roof space).

rubato

Post by rubato »

There are 6-7 fire stations ranging from .5 to 1.6 miles.

Anyhow, I'm betting they install automated sprinklers.

yrs,
rubato

rubato

Post by rubato »

There are 6-7 fire stations ranging from .5 to 1.6 miles.

yrs,
rubato

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Clearly time to talk some football . . .

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

This will probably interest rubato. I know it made me happy.
  • Did the Rooftop Bees of Notre Dame Survive?

It took me several days to think of the bees. After the smoke had cleared and the heartbreak settled in, I remembered: they kept beehives up there. So you might be wondering too: were the honeybees spared from the fire that ravaged Notre Dame and left the world in disbelief on that black Monday evening in Paris? The fate of the cathedral’s busiest little winged inhabitants may seem all too insignificant next to centuries of history destroyed, but I’ll take my silver linings however I can get them – even in the tiniest doses. So I went looking for answers…
(click the link in the title to read the rest of the story)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Econoline wrote:This will probably interest rubato. I know it made me happy.
Yes, I read it on Buzzfeed.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Mind-boggling that wasn't done long ago... :roll: :shrug :loon
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

RayThom wrote:
Yes, I read it on Buzzfeed.
Funny, Ray. Have one of these :ok

rubato

Post by rubato »

• Did the Rooftop Bees of Notre Dame Survive?

It took me several days to think of the bees. After the smoke had cleared and the heartbreak settled in, I remembered: they kept beehives up there. So you might be wondering too: were the honeybees spared from the fire that ravaged Notre Dame and left the world in disbelief on that black Monday evening in Paris? The fate of the cathedral’s busiest little winged inhabitants may seem all too insignificant next to centuries of history destroyed, but I’ll take my silver linings however I can get them – even in the tiniest doses. So I went looking for answers…
(click the link in the title to read the rest of the story)

Well of course it made me happy! Everyone loves those adorable fuzzy hard-working little girls! Just because I developed a reaction to bee venom (after many dozen stings) does not dampen my love for them even a little.

yrs,
rubato