Americans really are stupid as a box of hammers

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
rubato

Re: Americans really are stupid as a box of hammers

Post by rubato »

Scooter wrote:On the Jeopardy Teen Tournament. Fine, they are teens, but it's fucking Jeopardy, they are supposed to be the cream of the crop:

Final Jeopardy Answer: This country's first eight presidents were born in the U.S., the first native born president was elected in 1884, 37 years after independence.

One contestant responded "What is Canada?"

Another contestant responded "What is Canada the Philippines?

The third wrote "What is Mexico?"

Jesus H. Fucking Christ upside down on a bicycle on Calvary, even I, dumbass foreigner, know enough American History to recognize that there is only one country colonized by Americans that could possibly make sense, and even if I had never heard of Liberia, there isn't a level of stupidity that could justify thinking that Canada, Mexico, or the Philippines could be the correct answer.

I blame Betsy DeVos.

eta - I originally wrote "born in" rather than "elected in" 1884

Did you know that you can draw a straight line in any direction you like through one data point? No?

the history of Liberia is not taught because, after establishment, it was of no further importance to U.S. history.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

rubato wrote:
the history of Liberia is not taught because, after establishment, it was of no further importance to U.S. history.

yrs,
rubato

Only five months after its original posting, Asperger's Boy comes up with the, rather remarkable, assertion that countries which gain independence from the US are no longer taught in US schools, (as if they cease to exist in time and space!?!?)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

"This country's first eight presidents were born in the U.S.," Huh? The eighth president, Martin Van Buren, WAS born in the USofA. The first seven, and the ninth, (Harrison) were all born in English colonies, before the USofA existed.

snailgate

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Scooter wrote:Final Jeopardy answer, adults this time. Category is Political Phrases: Speechwriter Samuel Rosenman said FDR 'attached no importance to" this phrase, "two monosyllables" in a 1932 speech.

Responses:

What is "OK"?

What is "fear itself"?

What is "itself"?

Even if one didn't think of "new deal", at least demonstrate that you know what a two monosyllable phrase is, because none of them managed even that.
That question stumped me, but I was surprised no one on the show got it after I heard the answer. I guess OK may be two monosyllables (but it's not a phrase, ditto for "itself"), but I always thought that went back to Andrew Jackson.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Burning Petard wrote:"This country's first eight presidents were born in the U.S.," Huh? The eighth president, Martin Van Buren, WAS born in the USofA. The first seven, and the ninth, (Harrison) were all born in English colonies, before the USofA existed.

snailgate
The clue is talking about the presidents of Liberia, not the U.S.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Burning Petard wrote:"This country's first eight presidents were born in the U.S.," Huh? The eighth president, Martin Van Buren, WAS born in the USofA. The first seven, and the ninth, (Harrison) were all born in English colonies, before the USofA existed.

snailgate
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

BP is 80 and I think you could cut some slack here. Or just be a big, rude poopy head.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

TPFKA@W wrote:BP is 80 and I think you could cut some slack here. Or just be a big, rude poopy head.
Hey, I misunderstood it, too. The reference to "THIS country's..." lead me in the wrong direction.

And I'm ONLY 70 1/2 years old.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I still don’t get it and I’m only 32.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

TPFKA@W wrote:BP is 80 and I think you could cut some slack here. Or just be a big, rude poopy head.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:

And don't you forget it.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

But I do think that is an intesting assortment in that box of hammers. It must belong to a very serious machinist.

snailgate

rubato

Post by rubato »

Gob wrote:
rubato wrote:

yrs,
rubato

Only five months after its original posting, Asperger's Boy comes up with the, rather remarkable, assertion that countries which gain independence from the US are no longer taught in US schools, (as if they cease to exist in time and space!?!?)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I made an assertion about one particular country. That it was not historically significant after its founding. And you appear unable to uncover any facts which contradict this.

You argue like Trump or a Brexian. Moron.

yrs,
rubato

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

The lack of historic significance of Liberia (to non-Liberians) after its founding rather begs the question. The fact is that "black studies" and U.S. history of chattel slavery are even more in focus in the current day than they were 50+ years ago when many of us were in school.

U.S. high school students should be fully versed in the fact that Liberia was founded as a "solution" to slavery. 'Ship 'em all back home' was seen as a good answer, even down to the time of Lincoln - himself a subject of much further study, especially in his approach to the problem of what to do with former slaves.

It is not at all necessary to know the continuing history of "this country" that had a succession of American-born presidents BEFORE it had a native-born one in order to correctly identify Liberia as the only possible answer.

Gob

Post by Gob »

rubato wrote:
I made an assertion about one particular country. That it was not historically significant after its founding. And you appear unable to uncover any facts which contradict this.
It was significant enough for it to be a question on Jeopardy Teen Tournament, so apparently was considered significant for people to know about. Thus giving the lie to your assertion that: "after establishment, it was of no further importance to U.S. history."
rubato wrote:You argue like Trump or a Brexian. Moron.
You can only dream of aspiring to achieving such dizzying highs, but your Aspergers will always hold you back from the taking the first step on that journey.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

MajGenl.Meade wrote: U.S. high school students should be fully versed in the fact that Liberia was founded as a "solution" to slavery. 'Ship 'em all back home' was seen as a good answer, even down to the time of Lincoln - himself a subject of much further study, especially in his approach to the problem of what to do with former slaves.
Buzz!! : "I'll take that one! The history of Liberia is not taught because, after establishment, it was of no further importance to U.S. history!!"

wesw

Post by wesw »

what is stupid is having 0nly 0ne hammer.

I have seven hammers , I think, all different. and I still lack the prper type 0f hammer at times.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I have seven hammers
Well, that certainly explains why every problem looks like a nail to you...
ImageImageImage

wesw

Post by wesw »

0nly 2 f them are f0r nails..., silly.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

wesw wrote:0nly 2 f them are f0r nails..., silly.
And the others are for hunting, fishing, and electrical repair, right?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.”