"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Scooter

"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Post by Scooter »

50 years ago today.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

RayThom

"Houston Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Post by RayThom »

“That's one small step for man, one giant leap for a mankind.”
https://www.winknews.com/2019/07/20/arm ... plained-2/
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Post by Econoline »

• In my growing up, there were three unforgettable moments on television. Two of them happened the same awful November weekend in 1963—the first bulletins about a shooting in Dallas, and the completely surreal murder of Lee Harvey Oswald right there on live TV. The third was the moment Neil Armstrong said, from a quarter-million miles away in the sky, "OK, I'm gonna step off the LEM now." That has stayed with me even longer than his more famous—and famously botched—quote about small steps and giant leaps.

OK, I'm gonna step off the LEM now.

Simple. Prosaic, even. Something like the things you say when you're going to the store, or heading outside to mow the lawn, or taking the dog for a walk.

OK, I'm gonna step off the LEM now.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

"Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."

When Apollo mission astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" statement but also followed it by several other remarks, along with the usual communication traffic between him, the other astronauts, and Mission Control.

Just before he re-entered the lander, however, he made this cryptic remark:  "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."

Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet cosmonaut.  However, upon checking, they learned that there was no one named 'Gorsky' in either the Russian or American space programs.  Over the years many people questioned Armstrong as to what he meant by the statement, "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky," but Armstrong always just smiled and avoided the issue.

However, on July 5, 1995 in Tampa Bay FL, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the by-then 26-year-old question to Armstrong.  This time he responded, stating that Mr. Gorsky had been his neighbor as a child, and that he had finally died and so he (Armstrong) felt he could now answer the question.

When he was a kid, he was playing baseball with a friend in the back yard.  His friend hit a fly ball which landed in the front of his neighbor's bedroom windows.  Armstrong went over to retrieve the ball, and as he leaned down to pick it up, young Neil heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, "Oral sex?  You want oral sex?!  You'll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

That's one of those stories that's so perfect I really wish it was true...

But...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/good-luck-mr-gorsky/
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Houston Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.

Post by RayThom »

"The Truth:
It’s a nifty story, but not true.
Neil Armstrong denied it and NASA transcripts did not include any record that Neil Armstrong made a reference to a Mr. Gorsky during his lunar excursion.
NASA regards the story as a joke."

https://www.truthorfiction.com/armstrong-gorsky/
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

But a good joke. I recall shortly after Apollo 8 orbited the moon, Johnny Carson was off for a week. When in came back he said in his monologue something like "I wasn't supposed to be off, but my contract said I'd get a week off at Christmas when three men go around the moon. It stuck with me all these years.