Lights Out in California

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

Lights Out in California

Post by Joe Guy »

PG&E has declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy and owes billions in liabilities from recent fires here in California. They're going down swinging....
PG&E confirms power will shut off to 800,000 customers statewide

After days of warning, Pacific Gas & Electric confirmed Tuesday afternoon that 800,000 customers across 34 California counties would be left in the dark starting at midnight.

The utility planned the shut-off as a precaution due to high wildfire risk.

"The power will be turned off to communities in stages, depending on local timing of the severe wind conditions, beginning with counties in the northern part of the state," PG&E said in a statement.

PG&E said it would communicate with affected customers directly via automated calls, texts and emails. It also created a map of affected areas, which you can check for your neighborhood. PG&E's site was intermittently down Tuesday, so we've put some of the maps in the gallery at the top of this story.

PG&E said the shutoffs would begin starting just after midnight early Wednesday morning. PG&E meteorologists forecast high winds to last until mid-day Thursday, but power could be out for several days longer.

"Before restoring power, PG&E must inspect its equipment for damage and make any necessary repairs. That process cannot begin until the severe weather event has subsided," the company said.

The outages could last "five days or longer" in some areas.

The weather this week is expected to be dry and windy, which makes the risk of a catastrophic wildfire high, PG&E officials said. The utility company wants to shut off power so its electric equipment doesn't start a wildfire as has happened in recent years.

The number of potential customers affected in each Bay Area county, according to PG&E, is:

32,613 customers in Alameda County
40,219 customers in Contra Costa County
66,289 customers in Sonoma County
32,124 customers in Napa County
14,766 customers in San Mateo County
38,123 customers in Santa Clara County
32,862 customers in Solano County
9,855 customers in Marin County

San Francisco County was not expected to be affected (Lord Jim, a privileged old white man, apparently has some influence there).
source

You'll all be happy to know that I am also not currently (get it? like electric current?) impacted by this planned outage. Of course, who knows what will happen when they start flicking switches over at PG&E Central's switch flicking station. I hope our other Plan B California residents are spared the outage. Is anybody reading this post?

TPFKA@W

Re: Lights Out in California

Post by TPFKA@W »

You'll all be happy to know that I am also not currently (get it? like electric current?) impacted by this planned outage.
Watt?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Ohm my!

RayThom

Lights Out in California

Post by RayThom »

By the by, today -- had he lived -- Lennon would be celebrating his 79th birthday.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Is today tomorrow where you live?

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Joe Guy wrote:Is today tomorrow where you live?
Yes -- every night at this time.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

It’s still today here but tomorrow never knows.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

The outages could last "five days or longer" in some areas.
Does PG&E have a plan for reimbursing the affected communities for the increased emergency services costs they are going to incur as a result of their pre-planned deliberately created emergency situation, he asked rhetorically...

You know, a cynical person (which of course would not be me) might think that at least a part of this crazo-nutso deliberately created emergency policy agenda might be to generate public pressure for the state legislature to bail PG&E out or in some way indemnify them against the costs that drove them into bankruptcy protection...

I'm sure many of the folks sitting in the dark with their spoiled food and no hot water or access to communication/information for five days or longer would be happy to support such action...
Last edited by Lord Jim on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Welcome to South Africa :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Working with ventilator dependent patients as I do, I can’t help but think of the folks living at home with serious medical issues who need electricity to survive. Yes, most such folks have generators in place, but for how long should they be expected to rely on that backup system? And what about folks at home who couldn’t afford to put such systems in place?

Is there no technology available to deal with sparks flying off power line connections other than shutting off the power? Or does the technology just cut too deeply into profit margins and shareholder returns? :shrug
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I can’t help but think of the folks living at home with serious medical issues who need electricity to survive. Yes, most such folks have generators in place, but for how long should they be expected to rely on that backup system?
And of course without power, after a couple days these folks (or anyone else who needs emergency services) won't even have working cell phones (since they can't recharge them) to call for help if they need it...

The whole thing is just absolutely :loon :loon :loon ...

PG&E announced that they would engage in this craziness a few months back; I thought at the time that someone would bring a law suit to try to stop them from implementing it...I'm not sure why that didn't happen.
Last edited by Lord Jim on Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

It’s still today here but tomorrow never knows.
Terrifying.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I think PG&E is trying to make a point. "If you're going to make us responsible for fires caused by our equipment, we'll turn the juice off when weather conditions indicate." I'm guessing that they want to make the case that they can make their equipment 100% safe, but no-one wants to pay what a kilowatt will then cost.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Is this about the fire risk created by power lines either downed directly by wind and/or by branches/trees that fall on them? Then there is no practical way to substantially eliminate that risk (creating a corridor of scorched earth along the route of every at-risk power line being an unrealistic goal) and there is no power company that has achieved it. If that is the liability standard to which PG&E is being held, then sorry, but cutting off power to 2% of their customers during at-risk events is going to be their recourse.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Conspiracy or coincidence?

My power went off about 10 minutes ago. I called PG&E and they said a power line just went down not far from here.
Good thing I just bought this iPhone. I’d hate for everyone here to be worrying about me. I don’t like posting with this thing. In the meantime, it’s quiet outside. Too quiet.. .

dales

Post by dales »

So far have not lost power (yet).

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Stores probably sold out of these:

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

And these....

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

And y’all got some wildfires anyway. :(
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

BoSoxGal wrote: Is there no technology available to deal with sparks flying off power line connections other than shutting off the power? Or does the technology just cut too deeply into profit margins and shareholder returns? :shrug
Yeah, fire-lookout technology has only been in place in the West since there's been a USFS. . .

It's too bad there is not a regulatory agency overseeing this utility . . .

Why is PG&E the only electrical utility in fire-prone areas to have arrived at this solution, ever . . .

Also too bad that their potential liability is not held in check being in, you know, Chapter 11 bankruptcy . . .

Or that their rate payers can effectively bail them out . . .

Or, or, or, or -- none of this adds up to making sense.