I’m Sitting at the DMV...

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Big RR

Re: I’m Sitting at the DMV...

Post by Big RR »

NJ has dragged its feet in implmenting real ID, and has just now started offering it at one DMV office only; they say they will expand it. The thought of waiting in those lines has discouraged me, and I'll just carry my passport, even for domestic flights, rather than opt to get that ID (additionally, from what I have read, real ID licenses cannot be renewed by mail or online, but only in person).

IMHO, using drivers licenses as ID is ridiculous, if Congress wants to enact a national ID card law--let them do so (and let the president sign it); the ID rules should not be implemented by the executive or one of the executive agencies. Using this bastardized ID system is pretty silly and acocomlishes little.

RayThom

I’m Sitting at the DMV...

Post by RayThom »

IMHO, using drivers licenses as ID is ridiculous, if Congress wants to enact a national ID card law--let them do so (and let the president sign it); the ID rules should not be implemented by the executive or one of the executive agencies. Using this bastardized ID system is pretty silly and accomplishes little.
It's 'feel good' legislation. It allows many people to think that their elected officials really care about you and your safety.

It's a frame of mind, if you think a laminated, government certified card, especially one with a star on it, makes you safe -- then you are safe.

And everything is right with the world.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

It doesn’t make me feel safer. It makes me feel inconvenienced....er.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

It makes me feel inconvenienced as well, but I think the real reason this is being implemented is so Congress doesn't have to debate about a national ID card, which would likely be unpopular with many on both the right and left. It's just good cover for them to avoid the question and allow things like licenses (and social security numbers as well--Real ID requires that as well in the documentation) to be substituted.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Per TPFKA@W: Passport of course was a given, but of course when I fly to Chicago to board the flight to London I do not need my passport.
No you don't need it but it will work just as well as the DL ID for the internal flight. But if you are checking bags through to London they will want to see your passport and your reservation to make sure that you have the requisite visas etc. When you book the ticket to London, assuming you do it on line, they will want your passport numbers.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Yeah, I think I forgot to mention that I had to show my Social Security card along with all the other documents. Also, it didn’t occur to me that I might need to renew in person to maintain my Real ID. What a pain in the ass.

rubato

Post by rubato »

I went several times last year for various and sundry things. Get there when they open (or within an hour) and no waiting.

yrs,
rubato

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Per TPFKA@W: Passport of course was a given, but of course when I fly to Chicago to board the flight to London I do not need my passport.
No you don't need it but it will work just as well as the DL ID for the internal flight. But if you are checking bags through to London they will want to see your passport and your reservation to make sure that you have the requisite visas etc. When you book the ticket to London, assuming you do it on line, they will want your passport numbers.

Thanks for explaining it all but I have done this a few times. I hope you’re not anticipating a consulting fee.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Joe Guy wrote:You’re lucky. I had to deal with five separate workers at the DMV. Only one of them acted like he didn’t want me dead. The rest were irritated women who seemed to hate being there and acted as though they didn’t like the fact that people were in their office.
You do have an interesting effect on people.
It’s because I live in Silicon Valley. Everybody here is made out of silicon and addicted to opioids.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Nobody so far has mentioned the headache of 'matching names' on all the supporting documents the usual un -thinking space holder on the other side of the counter can create, specially for a woman who has married and moved around, or is a trans-sexual.

snailgate

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

One thing that was obvious to me was that all but one of the DMV workers I dealt with were focused on finding my lack of information or documentation instead of acting like they wanted to help. It wasn't just me. They were treating everyone the same. I suspect that a lot of people go there unprepared and/or there is a language barrier (at least at this office) that they deal with daily but that shouldn't cause them to be jerks to everyone.

I think I might go back to the office and volunteer to teach a class in customer service. I'm sure that will make everyone over there happy and cause them all to be real nice to me...

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Burning Petard wrote:Nobody so far has mentioned the headache of 'matching names' on all the supporting documents the usual un -thinking space holder on the other side of the counter can create, specially for a woman who has married and moved around, or is a trans-sexual.

snailgate
Well I am a heterosexual female who still uses her maiden name so it was not an issue. I can imagine the pain though.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:
TPFKA@W wrote:
Joe Guy wrote:You’re lucky. I had to deal with five separate workers at the DMV. Only one of them acted like he didn’t want me dead. The rest were irritated women who seemed to hate being there and acted as though they didn’t like the fact that people were in their office.
You do have an interesting effect on people.
It’s because I live in Silicon Valley. Everybody here is made out of silicon and addicted to opioids.
Silicon implant?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

The Act does not require individuals to present identification where it is not currently required to access a Federal facility (such as to enter the public areas of the Smithsonian) nor does it prohibit an agency from accepting other forms of identity documents (such as a U.S. passport or passport card).
TPFKA@W wrote:ETA: https://www.in.gov/bmv/2577.htm "Beginning Oct. 1, 2020, a Real ID-compliant driver’s license, permit, or identification card will be required to board commercial airplanes ". So will need it to fly,
Not an accurate quote of the Indiana website. The full quote:
Beginning Oct. 1, 2020, a Real ID-compliant driver’s license, permit, or identification card will be required to board commercial airplanes or enter certain federal facilities unless you present a Department of Homeland Security-approved document.
The link (on the original page) takes you to Homeland Security where various FAQs take one to TSA for a list of all the other "approved" documents. It should be fairly obvious that people with foreign passports on a visit don't usually carry a US state-issued driving license.
Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel.

Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
Permanent resident card
Border crossing card
State-issued Enhanced Driver’s License
Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
HSPD-12 PIV card
Foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
Transportation worker identification credential
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
There's a further note about item 1:
Beginning Oct. 1, 2020, if you plan to use your state-issued ID or license to fly within the U.S., make sure it is REAL ID compliant. If you are not sure if your ID complies with REAL ID, check with your state department of motor vehicles.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

TPFKA@W wrote:Silicon implant?
That would be some heavy duty implant(s).

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:
TPFKA@W wrote:Silicon implant?
That would be some heavy duty implant(s).

It would explain a lot though.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

dmv.jpg
This must be at Joe's DMV:

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Yes, I remember that guy. That wasn’t a costume. He’s the guy who gave me the eye test.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

This must reference a meme or something I missed, because I don't get it.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:Yes, I remember that guy. That wasn’t a costume. He’s the guy who gave me the eye test.
Even with 20/20 vision I bet he looked a little fuzzy.