OK BOOMER

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Joe Guy

Re: OK BOOMER

Post by Joe Guy »

Generation Y and Millennials are burning oil, consuming fast food and buying plastic crap just like we did. What are they doing that we didn't do to help the environment? Besides complaining about us, that is....

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Don't worry, Joe. It's just the nature of a relatively small number of young things to spout off in all directions, just as many of us did in the 60s and 70s. We thought we knew it all; we were wrong. We were not (and never were) a significant changer of the way society consumes. Yeah, we helped morals jump out of a window on the 69th floor (pushed a bit). The current crop of little urks is no different; besides which there are billions of people out there who don't give a flying Wallenda for the opinions of worn-out US liberals, greenies and people who think music didn't die years ago. Only rich societies wallowing in plenty have the time or the inclination to fret about anything more than tomorrow's bread and water.

I'll start to pay attention when all the little globe-trotting puddings begin to push politically for airport runways to be dug up rather than new ones built. There is no will to reduce air travel; only demands to make it more easily available. It's like those evil railways of the 19th century - everyone's agin 'em except they keep using 'em. Aside from the Plains Indians that is, though they pretty soon came to an accommodation with the iron horse; best way to get to D.C. after all.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

"You little fucks! I built a powerful city-state, fought with gods and monsters, discovered the secret of eternal life and ended up as a god myself! What have you done, besides whine in your palaces?" -- Gilgamesh, probably.
GAH!

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

RayThom

OK BOOMER

Post by RayThom »

OK...

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Every "next" generation can complain about the previous generation(s).
And
every previous generation can complain about the "next" generation. :shrug

When I moved to my current location back in 1985, there was very little traffic, tracts of land were scrub pines and oaks, roads were mostly one lane in each direction and there were very few strip malls. Now there is always traffic even with roads widened to 2-3 lanes in each direction. Pines and oaks were replaced with McMansions and strip malls are every mile or so (sometimes continuous for miles). Boomers did some of the populating but more Gen X-Y.
I get it, there was a need for housing and mid suffolk county was where they could afford. Nassau had been out of reach for many before GenX came along.
The main road through Farmingville was one lane in each direction with maybe two traffic lights. Now it's two lanes in each direction with a center turn lane and 5 traffic lights in the space of a mile. I've learned to accept the fact that I am going to have a red light every 1/4mile and if one stays green and I don't have to stop, it's a bonus.

My daughter lives 12 miles away in Rocky Point. When I was working on her house 3-4 years ago before she moved in, I counted 24 traffic lights between our houses. Yes I got stopped at every single one of them one trip. And on three of them had to wait for a second green there were so may cars waiting to go thru.

The "greatest generation", while they won the war, left us with whatever the industrial revolution got us both good and bad.

"OK Boomer" is fine with me. Better than "FO Boomer". (F@#$ Off)