Coronavirus

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
datsunaholic

Re: Coronavirus

Post by datsunaholic »

Govt keeps saying "shelter at home". Sure thing, boss.

For me, I don't have much of a choice. While my company ordered all office workers to work from home, my department has very few office people. I'm a field associate, meaning I'm the one out in the client's apartments fixing what needs to be fixed and prepping units for the next guest. High risk? Yup. And essentially minimum wage for around here. The order is, you work your schedule.

Of course, they said if you get sick stay home. They also said that any sick time comes out of your 8 days PTO. 8. Days. Sick pay? Nope. PTO- that covers vacations, sick time, family emergencies. 8 days a year. I don't even have the option of taking it unpaid, which I would if allowed.

We had 2 folks in my position call out this weekend, and another quit Sunday (well, it was planned as he had put in his 2 weeks March 2nd). On the bright (not) side, we have had so many cancellations that the amount of work is quite low. I normally have to check 3-4 units a day (and 6-8 during the summer) plus 3-4 deliveries or troubleshoots. I had one unit check yesterday, 2 the day before, and a couple deliveries to fix units I'd checked the day before.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

South Africa joined the band last night. Schools closed as of March 18 until at least end of April holiday. Gatherings of 100+ banned. St John's Session meets Tuesday to discuss whether to cancel church services; I shall probably vote in favor. Most of our folks are highly at-risk...... and yet there are only 51 confirmed cases, none in the Free State.
We’re imposing a travel on ban on foreign nationals from Italy, Iran, South Korea, Germany, the United States, the United Kingdom and China. We have cancelled visas from those countries. We advise against all travel to the EU, the United States, China, Iran, the UK and South Korea – this is effective immediately.

“Any foreign national who has visited these countries in the past 20 days, will be denied a visa. Anyone returning to South Africa from these high-risk countries will be quarantined for 14 days. All travellers who entered SA from these nations since mid-February, are asked to get themselves tested.”

As foreign nationals (temporary resident visas), our paid-for-last-year air-tickets-non-refundable would have us in the UK June 2; the USA June 6; France June 24; UK again July 12; Saffers July 20. We're kinda hoping the fuss will all be over and done before June!!!!!

The USA reacted swiftly to the SA ban; our friends' son Kyle, imminently on his way to the USA for a year chef training was informed this a.m. that all visa applications have been cancelled. He'll have to get a job here, if possible at a time when major city restaurants are going to suffer from no tourism and Saffricans staying home.

And think of the poor muggers. Who are they going to attack if the tourists don't come? We all are going to stay home with firearms (OK, rolling pins and spanners) close to hand.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

datsunaholic wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:21 am

Of course, they said if you get sick stay home. They also said that any sick time comes out of your 8 days PTO. 8. Days. Sick pay? Nope. PTO- that covers vacations, sick time, family emergencies. 8 days a year. I don't even have the option of taking it unpaid, which I would if allowed.
Christ, you should move somewhere civilised mate.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

Covid-19? Fucking lightweight.
Five people including a police officer and a gunman died at a Missouri gas station after the gunman went inside and opened fire, police said on Monday.

Three citizens were also killed, Springfield police chief Paul Williams announced. One officer was injured, and another citizen.

Williams said police received reports of “multiple shooting calls throughout the city” late on Sunday. As officers were responding, witnesses reported that a vehicle crashed into a Kum & Go gas station and convenience store and the gunman ran inside and began shooting customers and employees, Williams added.

The first two officers who arrived were shot. Other officers pulled the injured officers from the store then went inside, finding three citizens dead. The gunman was also dead, apparently from a self-inflicted gunshot, Williams said.
ETA:
Drugs used to treat HIV and malaria could be used to tackle the coronavirus, according to scientists in Australia.

A team of infectious disease experts at the University of Queensland in Brisbane say they have seen two existing medications manage to wipe out COVID-19 infections.

Chloroquine, an anti-malarial drug, and HIV-suppressing combination lopinavir/ritonavir have both reportedly shown promising results in human tests and made the virus 'disappear' in infected patients.

The drugs are being tested as researchers and doctors around the world scramble to try and find a vaccine, cure or treatment for the deadly virus.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... virus.html
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

For gas and shopping, I keep a pair of leather gloves in the car. Old but intact. Nothing will be 100% but if I use them to drive the cart or handle the gas pump, I am certainly lessening the chance of infection from touching the wrong surface. I have a box of disposable nitrile gloves in the garage obtained well before all this and if things get worse I shall use them judiciously.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

[quote=Guinevere post_id=282060 time=1584325721 user_id=88]
[quote=Guinevere post_id=281973 time=1584206539 user_id=88]
These people need to be dragged behind a chariot or something similar:

[url]https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/tech ... llers.html[/url]

[quote] He Has 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer and Nowhere to Sell Them
Amazon cracked down on coronavirus price gouging. Now, while the rest of the world searches, some sellers are holding stockpiles of sanitizer and masks.

Jack Nicas
By Jack Nicas
March 14, 2020
Updated 11:55 a.m. ET

On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States was announced, brothers Matt and Noah Colvin set out in a silver S.U.V. to pick up some hand sanitizer. Driving around Chattanooga, Tenn., they hit a Dollar Tree, then a Walmart, a Staples and a Home Depot. At each store, they cleaned out the shelves.

Over the next three days, Noah Colvin took a 1,300-mile road trip across Tennessee and into Kentucky, filling a U-Haul truck with thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer and thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes, mostly from “little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods,” his brother said. “The major metro areas were cleaned out.”

Matt Colvin stayed home near Chattanooga, preparing for pallets of even more wipes and sanitizer he had ordered, and starting to list them on Amazon. Mr. Colvin said he had posted 300 bottles of hand sanitizer and immediately sold them all for between $8 and $70 each, multiples higher than what he had bought them for. To him, “it was crazy money.” To many others, it was profiteering from a pandemic.[/quote]
[/quote]

The TN Attorney General started an investigation into “price gouging” by these winners, and ordered them to cease and desist from further sales while the investigation was ongoing. Then, I imagine, with the bottom dropping out of their market, they agreed to “resolve” the investigation by working out a deal to donate the goods to first responders and local churches. Three truck loads were removed from their storage facility yesterday or today (seen on Twitter).

Hooray for the TNAG!! Next up, whether they are disgorged if their ill-gotten gains.
[/quote]

Capitalism is the American way; why do you hate America?

What gains are ill-gotten? What did they do that was illegal? Buy low, sell high, isn't that what you're supposed to do? Isn't that success? If they had done it at the Chicago Board of Trade they'd be commodities market legends and the WSJ would do a 20,000 word profile on them.

But oh I guess capitalism is only for the Investor Class now and not for "ordinary" people.

Everything about this pandemic brings the enormous failings of capitalism into sharp relief, yet nobody seems to be learning anything. I notice Trump even managed to bail out the oil companies in his National Emergency declaration last week, as well as giving free advertising to his corporate sponsors. This fucking country.
GAH!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Guinevere wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:36 am
As for gasoline, who touched the pump last?
One more reason to live in New Jersey.
GAH!

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

(Not everyone will get this one right away...)
Last edited by Econoline on Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

God @The Tweet of God

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

No much panic that I can see in this area of North Delaware. I was in a local chain grocery store yesterday, and just returned from another trip. Both times the chicken department was empty except for chicken livers. Even the chicken feet were gone! The ground beef area had a sign that there was now a limit of two pounds per customer. And it was priced pretty high for around here--4/pound for 80%. Pork was plentiful. The rice was all gone. Dried and canned beans were pretty empty, but lots of pasta. Both days I was there for fresh produce. Sign about bad (dry)weather limiting the tomatoes and some other things from Florida and Texas. The grapefruit was all small; I could have confused it for strange oranges. Bread was pretty much empty but that happens with every prediction of some snow. The clerks there to assist the self-check lines were carefull to stay back the mandated 6 feet from customers. But I did not see any wiping down of the check out terminals. I and the better half went out to breakfast this morning at our usual local diner. It was not very busy. The local and state officials have not told us to stay away from bars or restaurants (yet). 50 people was the stated limit but I heard this afternoon the feds have brought that down to 10. The big question among the people I talk to is just how to do this 'social distance' stuff--how to take care of kids with school closed and how to keep some income coming in. Heard one local Burger King was actually permitting employees to bring their kids to work. This all is putting in a big plug in our economic pipeline that is based on prodigal consumer spending. I also note the main providers of home computer connection in this area (Verizon and Comcast) say there is not capacity for working-from-home and home schooling, to the extent that the politicians and local regulators are expecting.

I think I may go sit down and read the Decameron or maybe Camus' The Plague.

snailgate

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Looks like a lot of movies and board games ahead...
Lockdown is Here: Bay Areawide ‘Shelter in Place’ Orders Go Into Effect at Midnight

Bay Area residents are officially being urged [actually "ordered"..violation can result in a misdemeanor charge...] not to leave their homes, with very few exceptions “for essential outings,” in San Francisco, Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Santa Clara, and San Mateo Counties, starting at midnight tonight.

The full lockdown we had feared is here, or at least it will be in a matter of hours. The Chronicle has just reported, and Mayor London Breed has confirmed at a press conference, that “shelter in place” orders go into effect at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday. That means at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday, residents in the six above-named counties, [Counties with a collective population of about 7 million] are officially under orders to not leave their homes because of the unfolding coronavirus outbreak. (Breed's order applies to San Francisco, and the other counties are all issuing similar orders.) Grab your groceries and then hunker down inside, people!

You can keep walking your dog at a safe distance from other people, and grocery stores, pharmacies and gas stations are remaining open, and restaurants will stay open for takeout only. This order adds to but does not override Governor Gavin Newsom's call on Sunday to keep all people 65 years old and over, and those with underlying health conditions, in their homes for the time being.

The local order is in effect until at least Tuesday, April 7, and Mayor Breed said that it can still be amended, lengthened, or shortened as new information arrives.

“The new public health order that we’re announcing will require San Franciscans to remain at home, with exceptions only for essential outings,” Mayor Breed announced in a press conference Monday . “These measures will be disruptive to day-to-day life, [no shit] but there is no need to panic."

“Essential government services like our police, our fire [department], our transit, and sanitation will continue,” the mayor asserted. “Your garbage will be picked up. Police officers will be out there on the front line.”

“Grocery stores, pharmacies, banks and gas stations will remain open,” the mayor insisted. “Restaurants will be open for take-out only. But non-essential stores like bars and gyms will close effective midnight tonight.”

There are a few more exceptions. According to the Examiner, you are prohibited from leaving your home "except to meet basic needs including visiting the doctor, or buying groceries or medicine, until at least April 7."
You can still take a walk, walk your dog, or exercise outdoors, but you're urged to remain six feet away from other people.

“We know that there will be more that we need to,” Mayor Breed said Monday. “My fellow San Franciscans, what we are asking everyone to do is to remain at home for all but the most essential outings for your safety, and the safety of those around you.”
https://sfist.com/2020/03/16/lockdown-a ... -midnight/

The article doesn't specifically say, but in addition to the grocery stores being open, all services that deliver groceries will remaim in operation.

I was in our local Luckys supermarket earlier today...

The scene was surreal. It looked a lot like grocery stores behind the Iron Curtain looked during the Cold War; rows of empty or nearly empty shelves, with long cues to buy what actually was available...
ImageImageImage

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

We were warned .....

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Got the email today that i’m Working from home till May 11th
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Louisville has postponed the Kentucky Derby. This is our two minutes of fame (Andy Warhol always was an exaggerator) so it must be serious.

Gob

Post by Gob »

We should consider ourselves lucky.
Iran has temporarily freed a total of 85,000 prisoners, including political prisoners, a spokesman for its judiciary said on Tuesday, adding that the prisons were responding to the threat of a coronavirus epidemic in jails.

“Some 50% of those released are security-related prisoners. Also in the jails we have taken precautionary measures to confront the outbreak,” the spokesman Gholamhossein Esmaili said.

Iran refers to political prisoners as security prisoners, and has been under intense pressure to speed up its prisoner release programme as the coronavirus outbreak spreads through its jails.

At least five women had started a hunger strike in protest at the government inaction and the repeated changes to the list of those to be released. The authorities have already released tens of thousands from jails.

The World Health Health Organization said it feared the number of people suffering from the disease in Iran was five times the official figures compiled by the Iranian health ministry, not due to deliberate under-reporting by the government, but the difficulty in identifying all those infected.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

God @The Tweet of God

liberty

Post by liberty »

I love god and liberty and I have great respect for religious beliefs, but in times of national emergency, no one can be allowed to make their own policies. If this preacher continues to be a threat to public health he should be taken into custody and given the choice between house arrest and or jail. This might seem extreme to some, but I agree with this statement,” The Constitution is not a suicide pact”.

One strategy that could be used if this goes on for a long time is for the US national industry to produce enough protective gear for everyone and for the state to mandate by law that the protective gear be used when people out in public. Anyone who did not comply would face fines and or jail time. And then the country goes back to work.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/us/louis ... index.html

(CNN)On Tuesday night, just before the police arrived, Pastor Tony Spell stood in the pulpit of his Louisiana church and delivered a message to hundreds of worshipers before him and fellow believers around the world.
"I just want to encourage the religious world tonight, Amen!," Spell said in a sing-song voice, building to the crest of his sermon.
"Keep going to church! Keep on worshiping God! ... The church is a hospital for the sick! It's a place of healing for the brokenhearted!"
In holding services for so many followers at his Life Tabernacle Church in Baton Rouge, Spell defied an emergency order by Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards banning public or private gatherings with more than 50 people to stop the spread of Covid-19.
"I feel the Covid-19 scare is politically motivated," Spell told CNN. He estimated his church hosted about 300 people for Tuesday's service.
As the deadly pandemic spreads, houses of worship around the world -- from the Vatican to storefront mosques -- have closed their doors. But a few like Spell defiantly refuse, arguing that they have a right to worship as they please, and that, with fears of contagion upending our daily lives, we need divine aid and prayer now more than ever.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Meanwhile in the UK, Isle of Man police are seeking this couple alleged to have broken self isolation. They are positive and dangerous

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

NY, CA, IL all in shelter in place mode. Rumors flying in MA that we are next, but so far no orders to do so. I would not be surprised to see it happen early this week, despite the Governor’s clear resistance to the idea.

Also, why didn’t I buy stock in Zoom?
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké