Coronavirus

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Sue U

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Sue U »

Burning Petard wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:31 pm
I have family in Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas. The evidence about the POS-i-c (I really like that) is underwhelming If it comes from the Washington Post, NY Times, CNN, MSNBC ABC or other fake news sources, which now includes the Wall Street Journal.
Here's the real purpose (and the real danger) of Trump's "fake news" mantra. It allows people to brush off anything they don't want to hear or that might be inconvenient for them with no more thought than saying "fake news." If everything is fake news except what you want to believe, then reality -- let alone truth -- no longer matters.
GAH!

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

" If everything is fake news except what you want to believe, then reality -- let alone truth -- no longer matters. "

Yep and then comes some tiny little critter that does not care about your fake reality, which is only an opinion, and bites your lungs really hard.
An opinion piece in WaPo today pointed out that 'America First' was used to cut money for USAID which was (emphasis WAS) running a program called PREDICT that WAS gathering data on new viruses that might cause a pandemic. Check out the essay entitled 'We Did It To Ourselves.'

snailgate

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I didn't know if I should put this here or in "Laffs" ....

so I'm putting it in both places!!

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

I'm having that!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

Luckily for me I live in the furthest south west of the south west.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

The coronavirus situation in the UK is quite sad and dire...

In looking at the numbers, it appears that with just one quarter of the population of the US, they have roughly half the number of deaths, (both per day and in total) as the United States...In other words twice our nothing-to-brag-about casualty rate... :cry:

The price they are paying for an early flirtation with the murderous "herd immunity" (ie "do nothing") approach...
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

Fair comment Jim!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I couldn't find a pretty chart:

Coronavirus Sweden Update
Last Update: 11.4.2020 13:28:43 GMT

Total Deaths in Sweden
Today's Deaths in Sweden
+17
Today's Cases in Sweden
+466
Total Cases in Sweden
Total Recovered in Sweden
Total Critical in Sweden

Are they just lagging behind for some reason?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Sweden: 86 deaths per 1 million of population - having a happy!

USA: 57 deaths per 1 million - partial lockdown

South Africa: 0.4 per 1 million - extreme lockdown
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Are they just lagging behind for some reason?
I don't know if I'd call it lagging...

Sweden is currently experiencing a coronavirus death rate of 88 per million population; the US, as slow off the mark as we were nationally, and as badly bungled things have been on the part of our national leadership, has a death rate per million of 57:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

S. Korea, where aggressive testing and mitigation began early and was scrupulously followed, has a death rate of only 4 per million population...

The death rate per million population is a good yardstick to use for these comparisons, because it gives you a real "apples to apples" result...
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Missed Meade's post...(for some reason, it hadn't shown up when I posted even though I I posted more than 20 minutes later)

In any event, if you look at the numbers, the verdict on stay home and observe social distance ("lockdown") versus stand by doing nothing and let 'em drop dead, ("herd immunity") is pretty clear...
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

A big urban problem here - by which I mean people who live in regular houses in regular neighborhoods - is lack of garbage collection. Already the bags are piled in the streets where folks expected a pick-up but no dice. At our house, I'm already out of bins and the first bag went into a shed where I doubt little but that wee rodents will find and scatter the contents.

I can't find out if the dump is open - if it is I'd drive up there on my way to "essential" shopping and get rid of at least 6 bags.

In the townships and etc. there's not such a problem. It's either burnt or strewn about somebody else's patch. Which is of course another problem...

We're not supposed to burn but needs must when the devil drives. The plastic is the very devil on atmospherics
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Unfortunately we have a pandemic of threads on CV - multiplying exponentially - so I'm not sure if this has been posted:

What he said. Stay safe, people.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

One of my sisters sent me that one, and I posted it earlier in one of the spam troll threads...

But it's certainly worth posting again... :ok
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Remember, THIS thread is the original virus that invaded and took life in the cell of Plan B - all other threads are lesser virions spinning off for fleeting moments only to end up shed to the darkness where inactive threads reside.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

PS - I’ve admitted to struggling at times with maths, but how can they say only 60,000 will die when we are nearly at 20,000 already, and some places that only just issued stay at home orders are just beginning to see their numbers rising now?
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Here’s an interesting piece about research done here in Massachusetts that shows, by analyzing traces of coronavirus appearing in wastewater, that the prevalence of the virus in the population is much higher than reported positive testing indicates.

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-tr ... ed-1497141

Not that we really needed it, but more evidence that widespread testing is warranted.

But why would Trump want that? Higher positives would ruin his narrative, so he’s cutting federal aid for widespread testing and doing nothing to get the swabs and reagents produced under DPA. He cares more about his re-election prospects than about the American people.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Sir Patrick Stewart is reading a sonnet a day on his Facebook page - a sublime experience for fans of that sort of thing.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

This is a sickening read - but one every good US citizen has an obligation to digest, I think.

He Could Have Seen What Was Coming
~ Carl Sagan