Coronavirus

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Darren wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:08 pm
FWIW: the COVID vaccine relies on mRNA to "adjust" the body's immune defense. In autoimmune diseases the B & T cells attack the body instead of a bacterium or virus.

If you have a family history of autoimmune diseases like MS, RA, Lupus, Sjrogens, etc. the vaccine may alter your life and not in a good way.

Be leery of the vaccine if you've been exposed to environmental toxins or have a history of antibiotic usage and/or have gastrointestinal issues.

What happens later will be you paying the piper.
Would you care to cite some reputable sources for this bit of misinformation that you are spreading, or is this just what you've been picking up on your personal Ouija board?

By the way, still waiting for you to accept that Biden won and Trump lost. Jesus, man, even Putin has accepted the obvious.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Exactly Bill; those diseases are characterized by immune dysfunction, and often treated with immunopressants, which could affect the immune response. Don't listen to unsubstantiated crap on the internet, contact your physician; ditto for allergies, which could also be a problem.

And Darren, do show some paper or text that shows that B and T cells attack the body instead of the bacteria or viruses. Cellular mediated immunity is well known and understood, and has been for decades.
Last edited by Big RR on Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burning Petard

Mink? Who knew?

Post by Burning Petard »

It is reported that wild mink in Utah have covid19. Wildlife experts there think it is contained.

Meanwhile, back in Denmark, the entire inventory of mink farms have been killed--tons of biohazard not well contained. Seems there was evidence that the mink were spreading a new variety of Coronavirus that is not affected by any of the developed/developing vaccines.

Mink farms are a very big deal in Denmark. Forty percent of the world market in mink pelts comes from Denmark. Last year they exported about half a billion EU worth of mink pelts. Now, as afar as anybody admits, there are no living mink in Denmark.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I read in a couple of articles that there is serious concern about the mismanagement of the 10-15 million mink carcasses in Denmark, with some evidence some were buried in such a fashion as to contaminate ground water.

This pandemic is great at revealing the vice stupidity and callousness of humans.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

The Danish Minister of Agriculture has resigned because apparently he did not have the legal right to order the slaughter, And yes, it appears that some have been insufficiently buried and are rising to the surface as they decompose.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/animal-new ... s-n1249610

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I sure hope they didn’t waste the skins of those poor animals.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Aaaaaand it's....

ZOMBIE PLAGUE MINKS!!! :o

BINGO!

God, I'm glad the year 2020 is finally coming to a close....
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Lets just end farming animals for their pelts, ok? One of the softest and warmest jackets I have right now is made with recycled water bottles.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

The prime minister will chair a meeting of the government's emergency committee later after France closed its border with the UK for 48 hours.

The move, announced on Sunday, means no lorries or ferry passengers will be able to sail from the port of Dover.

France said the action was necessary because of the prevalence of a new variant of coronavirus in the UK.

Nations including Germany, Italy, Belgium, the Irish Republic, Turkey and Canada are suspending UK flights.

Switzerland has also suspended UK flights, and Hong Kong will do so from midnight.

Austria is also set to bring in a ban, while Bulgaria has suspended flights to and from the UK from midnight. Unlike the short-term measures in many other nations, its ban lasts until 31 January.

European Union member states are due to meet in Brussels to discuss a co-ordinated response.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55391289
The new variation of Covid sounds a bundle of laughs.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

And now Cuomo is asking Trump to ban flights from the UK . . .
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

I have a friend visiting, en route from Luxembourg to see his kids in Ireland.

He cannot get to Ireland, and cannot go back to Luxembourg,.

It looks like I'm stuck with the fucker for Xmas.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Guin, tell me more about this water-bottle sourced jacket.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Gob wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:36 am
I have a friend visiting, en route from Luxembourg to see his kids in Ireland.

He cannot get to Ireland, and cannot go back to Luxembourg,.

It looks like I'm stuck with the fucker for Xmas.
It’s nice that you’ll have some company even if it was unexpected. Hopefully it’s a mate you really enjoy hanging with!
~ Carl Sagan

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Burning Petard wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:20 pm
Guin, tell me more about this water-bottle sourced jacket.

snailgate
It’s a sherpa fleece from a company called Girlfriend Collective, and incredibly soft and warm. They make active wear for women using recycled water bottles. Not inexpensive, but I only buy used (recycling the recycleds) or on sale. I believe there are other companies that use similar strategies. Look up “slow fashion.”

As well as using recycled materials, they also work on making their dyes less toxic.

Anyway, GC claims this is how they produce their materials:

https://www.girlfriend.com/pages/about
Our Recycled Polyester

Taiwan, where we source all of our post-consumer water bottles, used to be called “Garbage Island". A small island nation of 23 million people, the government saw the danger of ignoring the problem, and through widespread change has transformed Taiwan into a world leader in recycling, with 55% of waste being recycled (as opposed to 35% in the US).

Recycling is a community affair in Taiwan. Each night people gather to sort their waste into containers as a community — recyclables, food waste, and garbage. Rather than leave, they stay and talk until the trucks come and pick it up, turning what could be a tedious affair into a connective one.

Programs and volunteer groups have sprung up all over Taiwan to help bring this community spirit outside of city centers. We spent time documenting the Tzu Chi Foundation, which sets up micro-recycling centers in rural areas across Taipei. Run mostly by retired people, they set up drop off points to both give people access and education to recycling, and to promote environmental stewardship in their free time.

Recycled Fabric Starts Somewhere

After all the bottles are sorted into their respective categories (#1, #2, #3, and #4 plastic), they are sent to their processing centers. Our leggings and bras are made from #1 plastic - or Polyethylene Terephthalate, also known as PET. Fun fact: All polyester (recycled or not) is derived from this type of plastic.

Our bottles are sorted, cleaned, and chipped into feedstock at the center. Our processing center is pretty special. It’s owned by a respected Taiwanese family that has been at the forefront of the recycling industry for decades.

We visited the facility, and were blown away by what we learned. It’s not only trusted by the Taiwanese government, it’s certified by them too. Being government certified means more than just having a certificate hanging on your wall saying that you can process plastic to resell. It means security measures are implemented and each facility is subject to accountability for how much plastic is taken in and how much is shipped out.

Why is being certified so important? It is a well-known fact in the recycling industry that in places like China with loose certifications and accountability standards, many will lie about where they get their plastic. It’s actually much easier to buy new plastic water bottles and recycle them, than to collect and sort post-consumer bottles. Often, recyclers will recycle brand new bottles as post-consumer bottles and sell them at a higher price to brands that are trying to use recyclables in their products. Gross.

At our facility, we have watched as bales of post-consumer bottles from all over Taiwan arrive at the facility. Each bale is weighed and logged. From there the bales go into a steam wash to remove caps and labels. After the caps and labels are removed, the bottles are sorted by color. We use the clear bottles for our fibers, and the colored bottles get sent elsewhere to be processed for myriad other uses.

Once the color sorting is done, we shred them down into tiny chips, wash them again, and place them in transport bags to be shipped to our manufacturing facility. Each bag is weighed and logged again to make sure that the output is equal to input. This ensures that we have an accurate count for how many bottles were used and can verify that they were the same bottles processed at arrival.

How Our Fabric Gets Made

As soon as our spinning mill takes the delivery of our raw PET chips from the recycling center, the bags of chips go through another wash, and are dried. Once they dry, the chips get sent to storage silos and are sent to a machine where the chips get heated up and extruded into long thick spaghetti like strands. From there, they are chipped down to little pellets.

The pellets then get reheated and are extruded again to make superfine threads that are spun together into our yarn. From there they are spun onto large bobbins, packaged, and sent to our knitting factory.

Our knitting process is unlike almost anything in the industry.

Our fabric is softer and more stable than your standard single-jersey. This process requires time and precision, which means each of our knitting machines can only produce about 100 pairs-worth of fabric in a 24-hour period.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:21 pm
Winter is Coming
Winter is here.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Yes and we had 1 million new covid19 cases in 4 days’ time. 2020 is officially the deadliest year in American history. Hospitals are packed full and/or overflowing, with insufficient medical staff to treat the demand of patient loads.

But hey we just got $600! A fortune!

It’s going to be a motherfucking bleak winter.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

The wife is getting the vaccine today
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Anyone planning on getting the Ellume over the counter test while waiting in the queue for the vaccine?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Crackpot wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:54 pm
The wife is getting the vaccine today
I'm happy for the wife....

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Yes, Joe, good on her. This afternoon NPR had an interview with the top hauncho in the health department in Arkansas. He said the distribution was going smoothly and he had not had the shot "I don't want to jump the line for anyone." That is the first sensible statement from a government official in Arkansas that I have heard in a long time. He want on to say if others deemed it important for him to get the shot with publicity, he would, but until then he was waiting his turn, way back behind health care workers who actually work with patients and essential workers who have to be exposed to the public.

In spite of being well into the over 75 category, I do not have any complications or a compromised pulmonary system. I don't expect to get the shot(s) before late spring.

snailgate