Coronavirus

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Bicycle Bill »

R E M E M B E R   T H E I R   N A M E S

I don't do Facebook or claim to be any sort of an influencer, but I'd like to propose something.  Maybe someone else can toss this up on their Facebook or Twitter account, and we can make something like this happen.

Over the past ten months, we've all been affected by COVID.  With the current toll at almost 300,000 and still rising, I'm sure we all personally know of someone in our own circles who has lost their life due to this pandemic. 

So send a letter — in fact, flood the White House with letters between now and Inauguration Day.  Nothing complicated, nothing long and flowery; just list their names along with the explanation that these are people who have died because Trump did nothing while there was still time to head this thing off before it got to the point it is at now.  Never let him forget — these were AMERICANS whom he permitted to become expendable pawns in some wacky chess game he was playing (in between rounds of golf) in his own little Wolkenkuckucksland.

Don't know anyone?  Lucky you!  In that case, check your local paper's obituaries.  It shouldn't be difficult to find the names of five or six people who have died due to COVID.  List their names; send the letters.

I look at this as being much like the way they have a reading every so often of all the names inscribed on the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall in Washington DC ... usually on Memorial Day or some similar circumstance ... so that we do not forget their sacrifice.  These people, these COVID victims — our family members, our friends, our co-workers, our fellow Americans — deserve no less respect and remembrance.

R E M E M B E R   T H E I R   N A M E S  ! !
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

The NYT did a beautiful piece with the names when we hit 100K. I believe they did something similar for 200K. You can find it on their site and pull names from there.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

That’s going to be a really big piece come April.

I wish I believed in a fiery agony of eternal torture awaiting Trump in hell.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

There was a time when patriotism was a strong force in this country. A call to patriotism would result in the people voluntarily complying with the need of the country, like submitting to the draft or wearing a mask. But those days are gone; the left killed it with chants of “hell no, we won’t go.” “Patriotism is a philosophy rednecks and hayseeds.”
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

liberty wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:17 am
There was a time when patriotism was a strong force in this country. A call to patriotism would result in the people voluntarily complying with the need of the country, like submitting to the draft or wearing a mask. But those days are gone; the left killed it with chants of “hell no, we won’t go.” “Patriotism is a philosophy rednecks and hayseeds.”
Open your eyes, you fucking ignorant dumb-ass.  It's not the people on 'the left' who are refusing to social distance and wear masks and screaming to "REOPEN THE COUNTRY".

Why don't go take your pistol (surely you've got at LEAST one, yes?), look down the barrel, and pull the trigger so you can see which direction the bullet spirals as it comes out?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Bicycle Bill is quite obviously correct. Also, our Commander in Chief has called for people NOT to wear masks and his white supremacist patriots on the right gladly do anything he tells them to do and believe everything he says.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Here ya go, lib ... for you and all the rest of the 'patriots' —

-"BB"-

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

liberty wrote:
Here's a little flashback from the anti-war movement of the 1960s...from the ultimate anti-war troubadour:
Pete Seeger wrote:If you love your Uncle Sam,
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home.
Support our boys in Vietnam,
Bring 'em home, bring 'em home.
  • "Bring 'em Home" (1965) by Pete Seeger
[ ... ]
I may be right, I may be wrong,
(Bring 'em home, bring 'em home)
But I got a right to sing this song,

There's one thing I must confess,
I'm not really a pacifist,

If an army invaded this land of mine,
You'd find me out on the firing line,
(Bring 'em home, bring 'em home)l
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Rudy Giuliani tests positive for coronavirus, Trump announces on Twitter

The 76-year-old has spent the past few weeks travelling the country seeking to overturn the election result
Not to worry, he’ll get world class healthcare no doubt.

I won’t shed a tear if he croaks, POS that he is.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:34 am
liberty wrote:
Open your eyes, you fucking ignorant dumb-ass.  It's not the people on 'the left' who are refusing to social distance and wear masks and screaming to "REOPEN THE COUNTRY".

Why don't go take your pistol (surely you've got at LEAST one, yes?), look down the barrel, and pull the trigger so you can see which direction the bullet spirals as it comes out?
-"BB"-
10 Unavoidable Arguments Against Patriotism - Listverse

POLITICS | MARCH 27, 2014
10 Unavoidable Arguments Against Patriotism

STEVE GILLMAN
Patriotism is typically defined as “love of one’s country,” and such love seems decent and normal to most people. But does it make sense to pledge allegiance to an area, to the people within it, or to a colored piece of cloth that supposedly symbolizes it? Should a Maine logger feel a special brotherly bond with California surfers rather than people like himself living an hour north in Canada—just because of lines drawn on a map by strangers hundreds of years ago?

Logical or not, people like waving and rallying around flags. But not everyone agrees that this is a good thing. For example, Albert Einstein said he hated “all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism.” Leo Tolstoy said, “One would expect the harmfulness and irrationality of patriotism to be evident to everybody.” Many others have expressed similar sentiments. It’s possible that despite the good feelings and social bonding produced, patriotism does more harm than good.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Tell me something, liberty .... does your asshole ever get jealous of the shit that comes out of your mouth?
-"BB"-

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Ah, badinage, raillery and repartee!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:36 pm

Why did Giuliani cross the road?

To dye. In a hospital
E. Hemingway
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Something else for the COVID deniers and the people who are claiming that "so many people recover from this, why do we need to worry about vaccines?" to think about.

So far, there have been something like 14.8 MILLION confirmed cases of COVID in the US, and of those, over 280,000 people in the US have DIED of this disease.  World numbers are even worse; 67 MILLION cases worldwide, and 1.54 MILLION dead.   
But people say, "it's no big deal"; "it'll go away once we get 'herd immunity' ", yadayadayada.

On the other hand, back in October 2018, a Boeing 737-Max 8 aircraft crashed, killing 189 people.  A second similar model aircraft went down in March 2019, killing another 157 people (if you're keeping score, that's two planes crashed, five months apart, for a total of 346 dead).

So what happened?  Did they say, "well, look how many 737-Max 8s DIDN'T crash?"  Did they say that "Once aircrews get more familiar with the plane the problem will go away?"  No, they grounded EVERY FUCKING ONE OF THESE AIRCRAFT ACROSS THE WHOLE GODDAMNED WORLD until the issue could be addressed and corrected.  And for the record, it's almost two years later and they still haven't completely OK'd these birds to go back into service.

Sure is nice to know that protecting the safety of people who choose to fly in airplanes is more important to some people than protecting someone's parent, spouse, sibling, friend, or co-worker from an undetectable virus.
-"BB"-

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:45 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:36 pm

Why did Giuliani cross the road?

To dye. In a hospital
E. Hemingway
To some of us with long memories, that's a classic. Thanks, Meade.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

That's an excellent point. Well put, BB.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:34 am
liberty wrote:

-"BB"-
Well, Bill, it appears I struck a Pavlovian nerve. That begs the question of who were you for in the Cold War. Did you spit on American soldiers? Did you burn the American flag? Did you fight for the communist in the streets of America like Shithead, Crack Head, and comrade Sue?

I wasn’t referring to the present, but the past; the left destroys things without any concern for their need in the future. The left destroyed American patriotism. The left almost destroyed the independence of the presidency, just to get rid of Trump. The left is so short-sighted.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Considering the Cold War had become 'hot' — or at least 'luke-warm' (the Bay of Pigs; the Plain of Jars; the Cuban missile crisis; the VietNam incursion) — by the time I was old enough to become aware of it, I was on the side of America and against the 'godless Commies'.  I knew all the 'code words' and phrases — you know, "better dead than Red" and "My country, right or wrong!"
  • Incidentally, there's more to that last quote, which is from one Carl Schurz (1829 – 1906), a German revolutionist, American statesman and reformer, and Union Army general in the American Civil War.  The entire quote goes, "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." (emphasis mine) ... but 'patriots' like you always seem to conveniently edit off that inconvenient part at the end.)
Then I realized, as I aged, that your average 'godless Commie' was not some kind of huge boogie-man out to conquer the world, but rather people like this —

(now THERE was a Russkie you needed to keep your eye on, for sure!)

nothing more than ordinary people who had the same hopes and dreams for their future as did I, and had been carefully fed the same propaganda by THEIR side as 'patriots' like you had swallowed from people like Senators McCarthy and Goldwater, Governor George Wallace, and others were dishing out on THIS side of the Iron Curtain.

Trump and his Republicunt crew is just the 2020 version of the "Red Menace" contingent, with a fair helping of that good-old 'keep the women naked, barefoot, and pregnant, and make sure the n******s and everybody else who AIN'T a white male Anglo-Saxon Protestant knows their place and stays in it' bullshit, camouflaged as "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN", thrown in around the edges.  The only thing that amazes me is that so many other people like you can't recognize that fact.
-"BB"-