Coronavirus

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
MajGenl.Meade

Re: Coronavirus

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

liberty wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:29 am
The left almost destroyed the independence of the presidency
What presidency? You mean the demagogue Trump who has single-handedly demolished the dignity, prestige, honor and meaning of the position?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Thank you for reminding me about that part of dumb-fuck's response.
liberty wrote:
WHAT "independence of the presidency"?  Last time I checked, our federal government has three parts.  These are the Executive Branch (the President and about 5,000,000 workers), the Legislative Branch (the Senate and House of Representatives), and the Judicial Branch (the Supreme Court and lower Courts).

And none of these three branches operates 'independently' of one another.  This system does not exist within a vacuum. The other two branches have certain powers which are commonly known as "checks and balances" by which they are supposed to make sure that no one branch, entity, department, or person can assume excessive, totalitarian, or dictatorial power.

That's why almost everything Trump has done has been by Executive Decision; if he were to try to run some of his cockamamie ideas through a full session of Congress they would never get out of the chamber... and even if they did and his personal kennel of Senatorial lapdogs ramrod it through, the Supremes can shut him down by finding the laws to be in violation of the Constitution (as they have done several times in the past).
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Liberty, how can you proclaim that the left has destroyed American patriotism? Hollywood and television and music have been the primary creators of patriotic jingoistic propaganda right along, just as they've been since they first came into being, and that's a pretty 'leftie' place. And I'm not just talking about 'lefties' in the entertainment industry participating in the creation of films movies music portraying patriotism aligned with conservatism; patriotism BELONGS TO THE LEFT every bit as much, so we create visions of the America we aspire to, like in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and The West Wing and all the inclusive multicultural LGBTQ friendly programming being made today.

Really you are just absurd sometimes. 'The left killed patriotism.' Go fuck yourself. Liberalism is every bit as patriotic as conservatism.

What isn't patriotic is fascism, which is not in alignment with our Constitution or founding ideals. Trumpism is not patriotic. Challenging free and fair elections on behalf of a wannabe despot who is with every breath violating his oath to our Constitution is not patriotic. Trumpism is working as hard as it can on killing American patriotism, but fuck y'all, the true patriots are fighting back to defend our Constitution against domestic enemies.
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

:ok :clap:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

What BSG said.
GAH!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Liberty subscribes to the belief that anything he likes is patriotic regardless of its constitutionality or adherence to traditional American values.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Unfortunately there are too many that think that waving a flag and a gun and going to church means that you are patriotic. It doesn't matter what else you do or say or how you lead your life.

Notice that there are plenty of flag lovers and gun owners and church goers who are patriotic and who believe in democracy and freedom.

I can do you a Venn diagram if you like, lib.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

I see a lot of commentary/posts by the locals here referring to "patriots". Drilling through, it's usually someone waving a "Trump" flag or wearing a maga hat. The same people who loved to throw "you're American, then Trump is your president" at you for the last four years are going on about Biden not being president-elect and how he'll "never be my president". Imagine that, Trumpanzees are hypocrites.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:04 am
Thank you for reminding me about that part of dumb-fuck's response.
liberty wrote:
WHAT "independence of the presidency"?  Last time I checked, our federal government has three parts.  These are the Executive Branch (the President and about 5,000,000 workers), the Legislative Branch (the Senate and House of Representatives), and the Judicial Branch (the Supreme Court and lower Courts).

And none of these three branches operates 'independently' of one another.  This system does not exist within a vacuum. The other two branches have certain powers which are commonly known as "checks and balances" by which they are supposed to make sure that no one branch, entity, department, or person can assume excessive, totalitarian, or dictatorial power.

That's why almost everything Trump has done has been by Executive Decision; if he were to try to run some of his cockamamie ideas through a full session of Congress they would never get out of the chamber... and even if they did and his personal kennel of Senatorial lapdogs ramrod it through, the Supremes can shut him down by finding the laws to be in violation of the Constitution (as they have done several times in the past).
-"BB"-
Bullshit Bill, it is called separation of powers, and you know it. The president has powers that congress can’t touch. He can prevent a bill that he and he alone considers would make a bad law from becoming a law, and short of overriding his veto, the leaders of congress can do nothing about it. If the Senate can remove a president from office for some subjective reason, the president losses that independence and becomes just an errand boy of congress, and we lose another safeguard for our freedoms. I am curious Bill just which safeguards in the Constitution do you consider important enough to protect.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

If the Senate can remove a president from office for some subjective reason, the president losses that independence and becomes just an errand boy of congress, and we lose another safeguard for our freedoms
What safeguard is there in keeping the president independent of the national will as expressed through Congress? It's difficult to remove a president, just as its difficult to override a veto, but it can be done and i a power given exclusively to Congress, and the USSC has said. What "powers that Congress cannot touch" are you concerned about?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Per Lib:
The president has powers that congress can’t touch.
Congress can override his veto, so yes, they can 'touch' them. It does not happen often because usually in negotiations, the threat of a veto - by the President - or an override - by the Congress - is enough to promote some sort of compromise acceptable to both sides.

And of course Executive Actions have to be constitutional otherwise a court can say 'nah, you can't do that.'

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And ultimately Congress holds the power to impeach. It's a pretty good balance; in our history only 3 presidents have been impeached, and none were removed from office, although one left rather than risk being the first president to be removed.

No Greater Fool

Post by No Greater Fool »

What Bosoxgal said

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:40 pm
And ultimately Congress holds the power to impeach. It's a pretty good balance;
A "pretty good balance" only if you ignore all the ways other democratic nations manage their leadership. It may have been a fine experiment in government 250 years ago, but honestly, our system sucks.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

It has its flaws, but I'm not willing to say it sucks, nor that it cannot be improved; weakening presidential power would be a good start. As for other systems, there are benefits and drawbacks to each, but I will concede I have not spent time studying any of them in detail as a political science major might have (was this what you studied?) and I am more than willing to consider the positions of those with more expertise.

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Sue U wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:21 pm
Big RR wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:40 pm
And ultimately Congress holds the power to impeach. It's a pretty good balance;
A "pretty good balance" only if you ignore all the ways other democratic nations manage their leadership. It may have been a fine experiment in government 250 years ago, but honestly, our system sucks.
There are far worse ways to select the head of government. The parliamentary system IMO is worse because the executive is selected BY the controlling party. Though the electoral system we have is asinine.

Our 3-branch government would work well except that it was not designed for a 2-party system. Which is the second worst way to run a government, the worst being a single party system.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Actually it was designed to result in a two party system and it has been since the beginning. (Whether intentional or not)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Stealing
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Recently, quietly, with hardly anyone noticing or remarking on it, the number of U.S. deaths from COVID-19 passed the number of Americans killed in battle in World War 2.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God