Coronavirus

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
TPFKA@W

Re: Coronavirus

Post by TPFKA@W »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:48 pm
And of course there are always the Llandudno goats . . .

Gob will tell us how to pronounce Llandudno.

I would love to have that happen here. This community is “city folk” and they completely freak out if someone announces they have seen a fox, warning that they should not let children out in the yard. This would produce mild hysteria and great sport to watch.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

It must have been a rare treat for those Welsh goats to be able romp about like that without fear of being sexually assaulted... 8-)
ImageImageImage

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

I live in a rural-ish community in Pennsylvania. With the lower traffic levels around here, we have noticed the deer have returned to the sports fields across from where I live. Mostly at night, but they have ventured out into the parking areas as well. The other night, we saw 5 deer and a fox chilling by the parking lot lights.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It’s really rather nice to think how quickly nature would reclaim our spaces if we were all wiped out overnight.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:06 pm
It’s really rather nice to think how quickly nature would reclaim our spaces if we were all wiped out overnight.
The local coyotes (animal species) have taken over the empty streets of San Francisco.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:54 pm
We have never successfully developed a vaccine for any coronavirus.
True, but then from what I have read, there is no reason to think a vaccine could not be created for this--only that it will take time. Vaccine technology has come a long way in even the last 10 years, and work will proceed as many scientists are diligently working on it.

As for virulence, while covid is more virulent/contagious than seasonal flu, it is an order of magnitude less than other diseases such as measles. Not that this is good news necessarily, because it still can be easily spread, but to show that, like with other dieases that are far worse, the spread can be controlled by responsible measures.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/31/us/coron ... index.html

What’s really frustrating is to know that a bunch of scientists were working on a vaccine for the first SARS coronavirus in the early 2000s, but because that more deadly but less virulent virus died out, nobody wanted to fund the research - big Pharma didn’t see any financial incentive.

If investment in public health and preventing pandemic - a certainty of human experience - were prioritized, there would be a vaccine already in existence that likely would only need a few months’ time to tweak and produce before it could be distributed to all the human race.

But, capitalism.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

New Darwin Award category--Covidiot

Post by Burning Petard »

Last night in Philadelphia at about 10pm a group of people were gathered out side a home. Someone standing " about half a block away opened fire at the crowd" and shot about 30 times, hitting five people, including a 2 year old.

The quote is from the local evening news on the Philly CBS affiliate.

A crowd standing outside on the street at 10 o'clock at night. Sounds like a sure route to a Darwin award, via the virus or via a bullet.

snailgate

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

On the positive side we appear to have discovered how to end the school shooting problem.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Infected But Feeling Fine
There have also been many hints, subtle and not, that the virus can be transmitted via aerosols. Sixty members of a choir in Seattle gathered on March 10 for a practice session for over two and a half hours. None of them felt ill, and they made no contact with one another. But by this weekend, dozens of the members had fallen ill, and two had died.

Their experience points toward airborne transmission via aerosols, which can travel farther than the large droplets the W.H.O. and the C.D.C. have emphasized. The virus is still most likely to be expelled with a cough or a sneeze, as far as eight meters (about 26 feet), according to one study. But studies on influenza and other respiratory viruses, including other coronaviruses, have shown that people can release aerosols containing the virus simply by breathing or talking — or, presumably, by singing.

“I think increasing evidence suggests the virus is spread not just through droplets but through aerosols,” Dr. Chowell said. “It would make a lot of sense to encourage at the very least face mask use in enclosed spaces including supermarkets.”
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

i avoided news all day so just now catching up - i gather now we are hoping for 100-250k deaths as a best case, because otherwise it could be 2.5 million?

yeah, bad flu season just like Donnie said.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: New Darwin Award category--Covidiot

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Burning Petard wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:09 am
Last night in Philadelphia at about 10pm a group of people were gathered out side a home. Someone standing " about half a block away opened fire at the crowd" and shot about 30 times, hitting five people, including a 2 year old.

snailgate
Obviously someone doing his or her civic duty by dispersing a gathering that would appear to be in violation of the six-foot 'social distancing' rule.   </sarcasm>
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Lord Jim wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:04 pm
It must have been a rare treat for those Welsh goats to be able romp about like that without fear of being sexually assaulted... 8-)
They aren't pretty enough. Mind you, those horns are handy to hang onto.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

'

This is our Battle of the Somme': Army joins frontline war on coronavirus as soldiers finish building 4,000-bed emergency Nightingale Hospital in London - before the first patients arrive TODAY

Soldiers helping build the London Nightingale hospital have compared the crisis to the Battle of the Somme
Colonel Ashleigh Boreham, who has carried out two tours of Iraq, said it was the biggest mission of his career
Built in around ten days, the east London hospital will have 4,000 beds for coronavirus patients when it opens
Up to 200 soldiers a day have been helping in the construction of the Docklands hospital at the ExCel centre
The facility will now be used to treat Covid-19 patients transferred from intensive care units across London
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

About fuckin' time:
Florida governor issues coronavirus stay-at-home order after heavy criticism

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) mandated a 30-day stay-at-home order for the state Wednesday, requiring that its nearly 21 million residents stay indoors unless they are pursuing essential services or activities. His executive order will take effect midnight Thursday.

DeSantis took heavy criticism from state lawmakers for refusing to enact such an order until this week, even as the number of confirmed coronavirus cases have nearly surpassed 7,000 in the state, including at least 85 deaths as of Tuesday.

The daily reports from the Florida Department of Health drive the fact home: The number of people testing positive for covid-19 has accelerated rapidly, nearly doubling in the past four days, with 3,274 new cases, bringing the statewide total to 6,741 as of Tuesday evening.

The state reported 857 people hospitalized and 85 deaths as of Tuesday, with the heaviest concentration of infection in Broward and Miami-Dade counties along the southeast coast and pockets in other areas like Tampa and Orange County, home of Walt Disney World. On Tuesday alone, 14 deaths were reported in the state, according to the Miami Herald.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... -desantis/

The stay at home order for the Bay Area which was due to expire on April 6th has been extended to May 3rd, but let's not kid ourselves...

All the models that produce the "best case" scenarios for deaths are based on keeping shelter-in-place and social distancing through both April and May...

Lockdown extensions may be getting issued in monthly increments in most states, (though the Governor of Virginia has extended that state to June 10th) but we're looking at June at the earliest for any real relaxation of the lockdown rules to take place...

We're going to need far more widespread testing, not just testing those with strong symptoms (including large scale antibody testing) to begin to start getting appreciable numbers of people out of lockdown and back to work...

So be prepared for at least 2 more months of stay at home...
ImageImageImage

dales

Post by dales »

So be prepared for at least 2 more months of stay at home...
At least the weather has been splendid around here.

I take a very short walk with my dog in the neighborhood.

We're all in this together, take care, social distance and stay well.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

A six-week-old baby has died from the coronavirus in Connecticut, the state governor confirmed.

Governor Ned Lamont said the newborn died from complications that came from the novel virus, making it the state’s first paediatric death.

“This is a virus that attacks our most fragile without mercy,” Mr Lamont tweeted on Wednesday. “This also stresses the importance of staying home and limiting exposure to other people. Your life and the lives of others could literally depend on it. Our prayers are with the family at this difficult time.”

The governor confirmed testing showed the infant was Covid-19 positive and government officials believe the child is one of the youngest to die from the virus.

“This is absolutely heartbreaking. We believe this is one of the youngest lives lost anywhere due to complications relating to Covid-19,” he added.

The newborn, who was from the Hartford area of the state, was brought to a hospital last week unresponsive. Healthcare workers were unable to revive the infant.
America First! First country in the world to have babies dying from complications of covid19; this is number 2 and I suspect many more will follow.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Well it's happened...

We topped 1000 deaths in one day, and set a new record for a single day, surpassing Italy's worst...
April 1 (GMT)

alert 26109 new cases and 1046 new deaths in the United States
Is this what Trump had in mind when he promised that we'd be winning so much that we'd get sick of winning?

ImageImageImage