Coronavirus

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
BoSoxGal

Re: Coronavirus

Post by BoSoxGal »

Don’t forget our dead covid babies - first in the world. :(
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

What a sad April Fools Joke.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Trump: '"We’re going to win so much, you’re going to be so sick and tired of winning."

He's half right. We are sick.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

And tired.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

error
Last edited by liberty on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Post by liberty »

error
Last edited by liberty on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Post by liberty »

I have made my first mask. I fixed my mother sewing machine and learned how to use it at a basic level. I wasted hours trying to come up with a design and then it occurred to me I was trying to re-invent the wheel. I took an old mask and copied it. I studied the old mask and saw that it had a hexagon shape. I took measurements and drew up a pattern, cut and sewed the material. The copied mask and the one I was making are different in that the commercial one is pressed in a mold and mine is made of fabric sewed together. It fit but leaked air around the nose. I needed a nose clip. I tried folding aluminum foil into a strip and taping to mask, it just was not strong enough. I was about to give up when I remember I had some heavy gauge safety wire.

Took some of the wire made a loop about 2 and a half inches long and about a quarter-inch wide; I sewed to the bridge of the mask with needle and thread. When I pressed the strip to fit my nose it sealed the mask. I didn’t like the way the fabric would collapse all the way to my face when I breathed in. I fixed this by making a wire cage and placing inside the mask being careful to cover sharp edges of the wire with duct tape. The mask is working at least for now, but I think it could be made better.

In the next mask, I will use two layers of denim and make it longer in the front to allow for more surface area to compensate for the two layers of fabric. I will also flatten the wire used for the nose clip to make it easier to form to the nose.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Just stick to your tin-foil hats, lib.  They've protected you from those evil guv'mint brain-scanning (or were they supposed to be brain-washing?) rays, they'll do the same for the coronavirus.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Well done, lib!

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

RayThom

Coronavirus

Post by RayThom »

lib. Just cut out some eye holes in a canvas tote bag and pull it over your head. You'll probably get much better protection than wearing that Halloween mask you constructed.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Well done lib. I hope it works for you. I wouldn't worry too much about leakage around the nose because the main function of a mask is to protect you against globules and aerosols emitted by the infected, and of course to protect those around you from you if you are (possibly unknowingly) affected.

No mask is 100%; my guess is that the 80:20 rule applies with a mask as much as it does to the rest of life. You can get 80% of the effect with 20% of the effort.

I wore a mask out yesterday for the first time, in Lowes. My estimate was that something like 10% of the customers were wearing one, and many of them, like me, using a drywall sanding mask they had lying around in the garage. Any face covering will help to reduce R0 - the reproduction ratio for the specific virus - and it all helps to flatten that curve.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Add safety glasses to the mix for extra protection. Then post a pic of yourself here.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

And this is terrifying - it’s stories like this that are most shocking and disturbing, how quickly this virus is taking healthy young people out of the game entirely:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/ ... ay-vpx.cnn
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I believed this from the start and FINALLY it’s in the news and some public officials are FINALLY saying we should be masking out in public to protect ourselves from each other.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/health/ ... index.html
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Just sharing this link for the interested:

https://www.pbs.org/video/american-exp ... enza-1918/
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I am disgusted by the US Navy, but realize the judgment of history will recognize this captain as a hero for his crew.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 44506.html

Stories like this are solace to the lingering pain I have over my own experience of public service - that far too many are in it for their own self-aggrandizement and revile those who actually try to do what is right and good if it rocks the gravy boat in any way.

Anyway; I salute you, Captain Crozier!
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’ve been watching a lot of videos on Netflix and PBS and such to burn quarantime; I was doing okay distracting myself but the last day or two I’ve started kind of obsessing over all the lack of social distancing and all the touching of surfaces and faces and other people that we disgusting humans actually engage in on normal terms. I can’t stop thinking about it even though I obviously know all these videos were made when the world was still normal.

No wonder viruses just love us; we are such accommodating hosts and transport vehicles.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:25 am
No wonder viruses just love us; we are such accommodating hosts and transport vehicles.
OTOH...
viewtopic.php?p=283415#p283415
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

liberty

Post by liberty »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:09 pm
Well done lib. I hope it works for you. I wouldn't worry too much about leakage around the nose because the main function of a mask is to protect you against globules and aerosols emitted by the infected, and of course to protect those around you from you if you are (possibly unknowingly) affected.

No mask is 100%; my guess is that the 80:20 rule applies with a mask as much as it does to the rest of life. You can get 80% of the effect with 20% of the effort.

I wore a mask out yesterday for the first time, in Lowes. My estimate was that something like 10% of the customers were wearing one, and many of them, like me, using a drywall sanding mask they had lying around in the garage. Any face covering will help to reduce R0 - the reproduction ratio for the specific virus - and it all helps to flatten that curve.
That is the way I see it; as I have said before something is better than nothing. If the mask does nothing other than keep my germs in and away from other people that should help. If everyone could do that it would go a long way towards ending the pandemic before it destroys the economy. And since the manufactured masks have to go to medical personnel where the greatest danger is people should try to make their own. When I feel I have made the best mask I can I will make and offer them to my family members who have to go out of the house.