Coronavirus

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Lord Jim

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Lord Jim »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:16 am
“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I don't think that Kushner is as smart as Goebbels. Goebbels was deliberately lying to advance some purpose. Kushner and his FIL both believe that they alone have the truth and that they are the sharpest minds on the planet.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Lord Jim wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:08 am
we can’t risk China starting a war with us while the whole globe battles a pandemic.
I have no doubt that this crisis has had a significant impact on US military readiness; undoubtedly to greater extent than the public does (or should ) know...

The "good news" (if that's what you want to call it) is that those countries that would normally be counted on to attempt to exploit this situation... like Iran, China, Russia,...(The Russians in particular have been lying their butts off about the extent of infection in their country) are in the same boat we are, and thus are poorly positioned to make any substantial territory grabs or other aggressive military moves...
I’m not actually worried about anyone starting anything with us during this pandemic- or the remainder of Trump’s tenure, since they all must know by now his insanity and likeliness to use weapons no other world leader would employ.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

But they all wear TIES! Huh! It's the Creep State I tell you, the Creep State conspiracy
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I couldn’t read this whole article because the Globe is one of the only major newspapers that isn’t suspending the paywall for coronavirus coverage (fuckers), but apparently hospitals in Boston will be trialing a flu drug from Japan on coronavirus patients. Fingers crossed!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston ... utType=amp

(If someone who hasn’t used their monthly allotment of Globe articles wanted to C/P this one here, I wouldn’t object.)
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I wish we’d had a leader (and a business community) like in New Zealand:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as ... rc=nl_most
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Did someone already post the gleeful news about Modly walking the plank?

You’re FIRED!
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Yeah, after the meltdown that was a bet I would have given odds on.

If ever there was a textbook worthy example of how to turn a bad decision into a tsunami-sized disaster, it was Modly's attempt to justify relieving Crozier of command to the crew of the Teddy Roosevelt.

He calls out Crozier for being "naive or stupid" for not anticipating that his letter would become public. And yet it never occurred to him that his petulant and profanity-laced tirade might be recorded and disseminated by crew members who love and respect their former captain, and who were disgusted by Modly's performance.

All the guy had to do was lay low for a few days, and Crozier's removal would have been old news. But like all of Trump's toadies, he felt the irrepressible urge to put on a show for an audience of one.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

RIP John Prine

:cry: :cry: :cry:
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

(If someone who hasn’t used their monthly allotment of Globe articles wanted to C/P this one here, I wouldn’t object.)
If you just repeatedly clear your cookies you can get endless free stories. (It works with the Indy Star anyway.)

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:53 am
RIP John Prine

:cry: :cry: :cry:
:arg :evil: FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK (FUCK)⁹⁹⁹⁹

This deserves its own thread over in The Arts, so I'm going to start one.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

400,000 cases later, Trump defends his February claim that the coronavirus was going away on its own

On February 23, White House trade adviser Peter Navarro addressed a memo to President Donald Trump warning that as many as 2 million Americans could die from the coronavirus. Trump wants you to believe it was never brought to his attention.

That memo and another similarly dire memo Navarro authored in January were https://www.axios.com/exclusive-navarro ... y by Axios. Asked about them during the latest White House coronavirus task force briefing, Trump played dumb.

“I didn’t see ’em, but I heard some memos talking about pandemic [sic],” Trump said on Tuesday. “I didn’t see ’em, I didn’t look for ’em either. But that was about the same time as I felt that we should do it, that was about the same time that we closed it down.”

It’s true that by February 23, Trump had restricted travel from China. But the virus was already spreading within the United States. And Trump’s public statements belie the revisionist history he’s now offering about how he took the coronavirus seriously from the beginning.

For instance, during a news conference on February 26, Trump said, “when you have 15 [coronavirus cases], and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”

But instead of going down “close to zero,” the United States now has nearly 400,000 cases less than two months out from Trump uttering those words. During Tuesday’s briefing, a reporter pressed him on this point.

“When Peter Navarro did circulate those memos, you were still downplaying the threat of coronavirus in the US,” the reporter said. “You were saying things like, ‘I think it’s a problem that is going to go away within a couple of days —’”

“Which I’m right about,” Trump interjected.

The reporter continued: “You said ‘within a couple of days the cases will be down to zero.’”

Given the current magnitude of coronavirus cases in the US, you might think Trump’s comment about coronavirus going away on its own would be too much even for him to try and defend. You’d be wrong.

“Well, the cases really didn’t build up for a while,” Trump replied.

Trump later claimed that even if he had read the memo, it wouldn’t have made any difference because “I basically did what the memo said.” But he didn’t.

Navarro’s memo recommended significant immediate federal investment in personal protection equipment (PPE) for health care workers. But federal agencies largely held off on such expenditures until mid-March, when the crisis was already spinning out of control. Trump’s line on that point has been that states should’ve done more to help themselves.

If Trump really didn’t learn of Navarro’s memo until media reports about it in recent days, it’s an indictment of his administration — after all, you’d expect a top official’s conclusion that as many as 2 million Americans could die from a deadly disease would be worth bringing to his attention. But if he did see it and not only didn’t act but told the public that the coronavirus would go away “like a miracle” as he did on February 27, then in some ways that’s even worse.

What we do know is that, for whatever reason, Trump was indulging in wishful thinking during a critical period in which more proactive measures could’ve saved lives. And as a result, the goalposts have now moved to a point where Trump is preparing to tout as many as 100,000 American deaths as a win.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I see that thus far, no one has posted a follow-up in Darren's latest troll spam thread...("Day 5")

If there's going to be a boycott of posting in these useless propaganda threads, I'm happy to participate...
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok :ok
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I wont even click on them to give them any "views"...
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Have to give credit to our governor for getting out front on this before it could get a foothold. We're at about 1200 cases in a state of 3.3 million, and under 30 deaths (all with underlying medical conditions). The stay at home order has widely been observed, and has obviously played the key part in limiting the spread (yes, there are plenty of examples of non-observance but they only highlight the general honoring of the order). Current forecast is cresting in a couple of weeks, so we likely will not hit 3,000 cases by then, and may enter summer with fewer than 5,000. Such results make the financial losses, devastating in many situations, easier to understand and accept.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I did a little research on this :
Walgreen to offer 15 minute COVID-19 testing.
Because it sounded interesting, and as I suspected (since it is invariably the case with Darren The Dissembler claims) there is less here than meets the eye..

(I'm posting about it here, rather than in one of his troll threads)
Walgreens to open 15 drive-thru testing sites for the coronavirus across 7 states

Walgreens said Tuesday that it plans to open 15 drive-thru testing locations for the coronavirus across seven states, starting later this week.

The sites will be in Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Tennessee and Texas, the drugstore chain said in a news release. They will use Abbott Laboratories’ rapid COVID-19 test.

Walgreen’s expansion of drive-thru testing marks the acceleration of an effort that the White House announced more than three weeks ago. President Donald Trump met with leaders of major U.S. retailers and health-care companies March 13 and announced in the Rose Garden that four companies — Walmart, Target, CVS Health and Walgreens — would host drive-thru testing in their parking lots. The U.S. has lagged behind other countries in the availability of coronavirus testing.

Since then, only about a handful of sites have opened in the retailers’ parking lots. Most are staffed by government health-care workers. Walmart has two drive-thrus and Walgreens has one drive-thru in the Chicago area, but they restrict tests to first responders. CVS has a drive-thru in Massachusetts and said Monday that it would open two new drive-thru locations: one in Atlanta and one near Providence, Rhode Island. These latest sites are not in CVS parking lots, but at larger locations that can support multiple lanes of cars.

In interviews, Walmart and CVS executives have acknowledged challenges with the rollout, saying it’s been difficult to get protective gear for workers and has taken time to coordinate with state and federal officials.

Walgreens said in a news release that it chose the new sites with the Department of Health and Human Services based on anticipated hot spots for cases of COVID-19. It said it expects to test up to 3,000 people per day across the sites. [woopee]

Tests will be by appointment only. Walgreens pharmacists will oversee the testing, which will be outside of the stores. Members of the public who show COVID-19 symptoms will fill out an assessment on Walgreens’ website or its app. If they qualify for the test, they will make an appointment for a drive-thru site.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/07/walgree ... tates.html

So we're talking about 15 total sites, (and only by drive-thru and only if you're showing symptoms, and then only by appointment...)

So the image that DTD (Darren The Dissembler) clearly wants to conjur up...

Hundreds of Walgreens doing free 15 minute Covid-19 tests for anyone who walks in requesting one...

Turns out to be (like 99.99999% of everything he posts on this topic) total horseshit...

ImageImageImage

rubato

Post by rubato »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:57 pm
I don't think that Kushner is as smart as Goebbels. Goebbels was deliberately lying to advance some purpose. Kushner and his FIL both believe that they alone have the truth and that they are the sharpest minds on the planet.

Like the Enron boys and Elizabeth Holmes. Proving that stupid people are the least likely to know they are stupid.

yrs,
rubato