Another COVID-19 Thread

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
ex-khobar Andy

Re: Another COVID-19 Thread

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

For those of us missing sport on the telly, there's always marble racing. Marbula One, to be specific. Strangely compelling.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

That is hilarious.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I'm surprised that liberty, our resident alarmist, hasn't come through here yet telling us to stockpile guns and ammo for when people get tired of the empty shelves and start foraging and looting from those people who DID lay in a supply.
Unless he's already holed up in his off-the-grid, generator-powered bunker with his body armor, booby traps, assault rifles and ammo, and a two-year supply of MREs.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Sue U wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:43 pm
Ugh, was there ever a more transparent attempt at deflecting responsibility while pandering to racism and xenophobia? If you can imagine all the worst human tendencies,Trump just exudes them all, constantly. It's revolting.

Not saying El Trumpo is right. But it is perfectly reasonable to hold accountable the Chinese for having a poor record on food and drug regulation which is likely responsible for this FUBAR. It’s not racist.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:43 pm
Sue U wrote:
Ugh, was there ever a more transparent attempt at deflecting responsibility while pandering to racism and xenophobia? If you can imagine all the worst human tendencies,Trump just exudes them all, constantly. It's revolting.

Not saying El Trumpo is right. But it is perfectly reasonable to hold accountable the Chinese for having a poor record on food and drug regulation which is likely responsible for this FUBAR. It’s not racist.
China's food and drug regulation has nothing to do with this. COVID-19 appears to have originated in bats and jumped to humans; it could have happened anywhere. Trump's decision to start calling it "the Chinese virus" rather than "bat virus" or any of its well-known scientific appellations (coronavirus, COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2, etc.) is clearly intended to both point a finger away from his own incompetence while giving his retarded racist base a foreign enemy to scapegoat. No one was calling it "the Chinese virus" (also the "foreign virus") until this week, when Trump rolled it out. Under the circumstances, it is clearly racist. And to the extent it has people trying to contend that it's not racist, it just normalizes the racism inherent in its use. Think about where this term came from and why; has any medical or scientific organization been calling it "the Chinese virus"? This came straight from racist trope generator Stephen Miller; for a number of reasons, it's got his grimy fingerprints all over it.

ETA:
Also, for what it's worth, China's food and drug regulation does not seem to bother the US government or pharmaceutical industry in the least, since Chinese manufacturers produce the vast majority of generic drugs and drug ingredients used in medicines sold here.
GAH!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

You could make the case that the reason we are aware of this virus is that Chinese virologists - of which there are many and the only real virologist I know - PhD and all - is a recent Chinese immigrant - were wide awake and raised the alarm. It's entirely possible that it was bubbling along beneath the surface, unseen, elsewhere until it decided to break cover in Wuhan. It's possibly Chinese in the same sense that the Spanish Flu (1918 - 1919) was Spanish despite the fact that most of the evidence points to Kansas. Regardless, it's immaterial where it arose: it's ours now and we have to deal with it as a species and not as separate nations.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

It is pretty evident that it crossed species in Wuhan and gives every appearance of being the result of Chinese dining habits.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:41 pm
It is pretty evident that it crossed species in Wuhan and gives every appearance of being the result of Chinese dining habits.
Not true: People in Wuhan don't eat bats.

Even if environmental contact with bats might be a potential source, it's just as likely the virus jumped to humans by way of pigs.
GAH!

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

In the case of SARS and COVID-19, bats were probably the original hosts; the bats then infected other animals, which transmitted the disease to humans. Chinese "wet markets" are a fertile breeding ground for cross-species infections. In this case the most likely intermediary-species candidates are pigs, civet cats, and pangolins.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-c ... tos-2020-1

https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2 ... china.html

And besides the use of wild species for food, there is also widespread use of such animals for "traditional Chinese medicine".
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

It''s all our fault!!
Russian state media has blamed Britain for the global coronavirus pandemic.

Kremlin-backed media has broadcast propaganda which states Covid-19, the new form of coronavirus, was created as a tool for the benefit of the UK.

As Britain continues to fight the pandemic rapidly gripping the world, outrageous slurs in Russian media include that:

The British 'smeared something in Wuhan' in the same way that they 'smear[ed] nerve agent on Skripal's door handle';

The pandemic was intentionally timed with Britain's exit from the EU to enhance its global status;

Porton Down, the Salisbury laboratory at the centre of the Skripal Novichok scandal, 'patented a vaccine' for Covid-19;

'There is a special operation ongoing' related to the virus whose 'players are the British-American Alliance';

Covid-19 was accidentally created as a bioweapon in 2015 at the Pirbright Institute in Woking;

Coronavirus is an attempt to gain access to Chinese markets, because 'Churchill…said England doesn't have friends or enemies… only business interests'.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Sue U wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:15 pm
TPFKA@W wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:43 pm
Sue U wrote:

China's food and drug regulation has nothing to do with this. COVID-19 appears to have originated in bats and jumped to humans; it could have happened anywhere. Trump's decision to start calling it "the Chinese virus" rather than "bat virus" or any of its well-known scientific appellations (coronavirus, COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2, etc.) is clearly intended to both point a finger away from his own incompetence while giving his retarded racist base a foreign enemy to scapegoat. No one was calling it "the Chinese virus" (also the "foreign virus") until this week, when Trump rolled it out. Under the circumstances, it is clearly racist. And to the extent it has people trying to contend that it's not racist, it just normalizes the racism inherent in its use. Think about where this term came from and why; has any medical or scientific organization been calling it "the Chinese virus"? This came straight from racist trope generator Stephen Miller; for a number of reasons, it's got his grimy fingerprints all over it.

ETA:
Also, for what it's worth, China's food and drug regulation does not seem to bother the US government or pharmaceutical industry in the least, since Chinese manufacturers produce the vast majority of generic drugs and drug ingredients used in medicines sold here.

I read this: https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-c ... ans-2020-1

The Chinese "wet market" and their habits of living with host animals have been responsible for a number of viruses jumping species. I continue to contend that it is NOT RACIST to point out the obvious. Well obvious to those who don't scream racist at others who state the obvious which is counter to leftist trope. So you go ahead and scream racist and I will continue to state what is blatantly obvious and not give a bat's ass what you scream. (See what I did there? I still love and respect your liberal leftest arse missy Sue, well more than I hate you anyway ;))

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I think you may well right @W, but then I also think you have to consider the source of the comment. And with Trump, thinking it was an intentionally racist comment is likely correct. Face it, he has enough speech writers who know the language well enough to realize the likely connotation, especially when it comes from an ass like Trump; this sort or racism is one of his selling points which panders to his most rabid supporters.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Rand Paul, dickhead, goes dickheadier
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said the Senate would move at "warp speed" to pass coronavirus legislation on Tuesday, but Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., put a damper on those plans, two leadership sources told NBC News.

Senators were on Tuesday heading towards a vote on the package — which includes provisions for free coronavirus testing, secures paid emergency leave, enhances unemployment insurance, strengthens food security initiatives, and increases federal Medicaid funding to states — but had to slam the brakes on because of an amendment Paul proposed.

The sources said Paul is forcing a vote on his amendment, which would "require a social security number for purposes of the child tax credit, and to provide the President the authority to transfer funds as necessary, and to terminate United States military operations and reconstruction activities in Afghanistan."

McConnell agreed to take up the amendment on Wednesday, delaying the vote on the larger bill, the sources said. The Paul amendment is not expected to pass.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Once again I apologize for our two senators. That's why I've sent money to Amy McGrath who is challenging McConnell this time around. As a foreigner I have not in the past materially supported any candidates - I don't vote. But apparently as a legal resident (green card) I am allowed to do so.

Having said that, I am in general agreement with the US getting out of Afghanistan. I'm not sure what it is adding. I don't know what Paul is getting at with his child tax credit thing: it's done through the tax return and of course you need SSN to file taxes.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

USA.gov says

Who Can and Can’t Vote in U.S. Elections

You must be a U.S. citizen to vote in federal, state or local elections.

Who CAN’T Vote?
Non-citizens, including permanent legal residents
ex-khobar Andy
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:10 pm
USA.gov says

Who CAN’T Vote?
ex-khobar Andy
MGM, I'm pretty sure XKA meant that he can't vote because dirty furriner, but he can send good ole Murrican cashmunny to politicians because green card.
GAH!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

“Warp speed” also being a joke bc MoscowMitch could have had the Senate take up the legislation on Thursday after the House got it done.

Rand Paul deserves to go to hell.

I’ve been sending Amy money since last fall, every so often. I think I’ll send a little more this week.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Oh. Yeah, Sue. :idea:

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Sue U wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:20 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:10 pm
USA.gov says

Who CAN’T Vote?
ex-khobar Andy
MGM, I'm pretty sure XKA meant that he can't vote because dirty furriner, but he can send good ole Murrican cashmunny to politicians because green card.
Yes thanks Sue - I could have been clearer. I did not know until I looked it up that as a non-citizen, and obviously unable to vote, I do have the right to provide material support such as $$. There has been talk of 'foreign money' in prior elections and I thought that this meant me too: but that exception (legal residents) has been around for a while.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Maybe reason to hope for a 'cure' per the Guardian.

Full piece here. Quote below. Looks like a small trial but it sounds significant. Of course there will be cures coming out of the woodwork from people hoping to make a bundle as the stock price zooms up.
Medical authorities in China have said a drug used in Japan to treat new strains of influenza appeared to be effective in coronavirus patients, Japanese media said on Wednesday.

Zhang Xinmin, an official at China’s science and technology ministry, said favipiravir, developed by a subsidiary of Fujifilm, had produced encouraging outcomes in clinical trials in Wuhan and Shenzhen involving 340 patients.

“It has a high degree of safety and is clearly effective in treatment,” Zhang told reporters on Tuesday.

Patients who were given the medicine in Shenzhen turned negative for the virus after a median of four days after becoming positive, compared with a median of 11 days for those who were not treated with the drug, public broadcaster NHK said.