Another COVID-19 Thread

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Lord Jim

Re: Another COVID-19 Thread

Post by Lord Jim »

Joe Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:45 am
Could you be a little more specific?.... :D :ok
You forgot, "We have 15 cases, soon to go down to zero"...
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Here's an excellent link to track the virus cases and deaths in California:

https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2020/coronavirus-map/

In San Francisco so far, 70 cases; thankfully no deaths...yet..
ImageImageImage

liberty

Post by liberty »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:37 pm
One of the biggest problem with this president is that, based on his history of lying, half the country doesn't believe that even he believes anything he says in public. When times are difficult we need a president who leads rather than point fingers at others and blame past administrations for the current problem.
Do you mean as Obama did? Didn’t he routinely blame Bush for his problems during his presidency?

https://www.usnews.com/news/obama/artic ... h-strategy
( in case you missed it:)
Obama Won't Abandon Blame Bush Strategy
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

liberty wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:35 am
Do you mean as Obama did? Didn’t he routinely blame Bush for his problems during his presidency?
So, if Obama blamed a past president for something, it's okay for Trump to lie and point fingers during a pandemic? What's your point?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Newsom has now extended the lock-down in the Bay Area to the entire state:
The governor of California on Thursday evening issued a statewide stay-at-home order to help combat the spread of the coronavirus.

The order, which takes effect Thursday night, asks residents to leave their homes only when necessary. It will remain in place until further notice.

Gov. Gavin Newsom's announcement came less than an hour after officials in Los Angeles County ordered people to stay home except for essential needs or jobs and for indoor shopping malls and nonessential retail to close.

San Francisco and surrounding counties had previously issued orders to stay at home to stop the spread of the coronavirus and the illness it causes, COVID-19.

Newsom said the statewide order is consistent with the local orders. Places like grocery and convenience stores, delivery restaurants, gas stations, pharmacies, banks and laundromats will remain open.

Bars, nightclubs, theaters, gyms and convention centers have been ordered closed.

The goal is to encourage "social distancing," which health experts have stressed can slow the spread of the disease and keep health systems from being overwhelmed.

Gavin Newsom

@GavinNewsom

CA is issuing a statewide, mandatory STAY AT HOME order.

Those that work in critical sectors should go to work. Grocery stores, pharmacies, banks and more will stay open.

We need to meet this moment and flatten the curve together.

Go to http://covid19.ca.gov to learn more.
The governor said he hopes people will voluntarily obey the order to stay at home if possible, saying, "There's a social contract here."

"People, I think, recognize the need to do more and to meet this moment," Newsom said.

California, which has a population of around 40 million, appears to be the first state to order restrictions statewide.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ca ... t-n1164471
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Joe Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:50 am
liberty wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:35 am
So, if Obama blamed a past president for something, it's okay for Trump to lie and point fingers during a pandemic? What's your point?
Whataboutism, also known as whataboutery, is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument. It is particularly associated with Soviet and Russian propaganda.
Prominent usage: Soviet Union propaganda; ...
Tactic: Propaganda technique
Logic: Logical fallacy
ImageImageImage

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

:ok

There was a great piece of whataboutism from the beginning of the month I tagged to share, but never got there.

Beginning of the month and a Super Tuesday feels centuries ago now.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

A few members of Congress recently have suggested that the United States government institute an emergency Universal Basic Income (UBI) in response to the twin crises of coronavirus and the stock market collapse, which many economists believe could signal the start of a significant recession. UBI provides an unconditional sum of money from the government for permanent residents whether or not they work. Proposals for an emergency UBI vary. One common suggestion from lawmakers is $1,000 a month for adults and $500 a month for children for four months or more if the coronavirus persists. This amount would be an enormous help in this crisis.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sic-income
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

First British arrest for 'failing to self-isolate due to coronavirus': 26-year-old male faces £10,000 fine and three months in jail after arriving on Isle of Man then 'refusing to go into 14-day quarantine'

Police today made their first arrest linked to coronavirus quarantining after a 26-year-old man was held for allegedly failing to self-isolate.

Officers on the Isle of Man held the suspect last night - 48 hours after the British Crown dependency passed emergency legislation to tackle the virus on the island in the Irish Sea.

Police have been instructed to arrest anyone who arrives on the island who fails to isolate for a 14-day period, even if they show no symptoms.

The arrested man, who has not been named, is the first Briton to be arrested for breaching strict quarantine rules which have been imposed in an effort to stop the spread of the killer virus.

He is now facing a fine of up to £10,000 and could be jailed for three months if found guilty and will appear in court in Douglas today after being taken into custody.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

Fuck me, it's all happening here...
Cafes, pubs and restaurants must close from Friday night, except for take-away food, to tackle coronavirus, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said.

Night clubs, theatres, cinemas, gyms and leisure centres have also been asked to close "as soon as they reasonably can".

Mr Johnson said that, at present, "we need to keep people apart" - but that the situation will be reviewed each month.
Government to pay 80% of wages for employees not working, up to £2,500 a month, Chancellor Rishi Sunak says

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.
Friday has been the last school day for most children in England, Scotland and Wales until further notice, in response to the escalating coronavirus pandemic.

Schools are closing to everyone except vulnerable children, and those with a parent identified as a key worker.

A-level and GCSE pupils will be graded via teacher assessments after exams, including Highers, were cancelled.

dales

Post by dales »

In CALIFORNIA marijuana dispensaries are considered "essential businesses" and will remain open.

Always a silver lining in a dark cloud I suppose.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

IL going into lockdown starting tomorrow.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

U.S. cases per million now exceed China, where the number of new cases daily has dwindled to insignificance. (link)
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

dales wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:18 pm
In CALIFORNIA marijuana dispensaries are considered "essential businesses" and will remain open.

Always a silver lining in a dark cloud I suppose.
Speaking of which, when I picked up a pizza last night, I noticed the tanning shop next to door was open. Don't know if I can come up with all the ways that is wrong.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

You can spot the exact moment Dr. Fauci died inside - March 20, 2020

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

This thread began with a question about the paranoia in your area. Not unreasonable concern, but still some peculiar actions around here. I went to Costco today. They had pilled up pallets around the entrance and were directing patrons to form a nice line, standing at least 6 feet apart, and admitting 10 people as 10 came out. I have no idea how many customers were admitted before that started the 10-at-a-time process. Everybody seemed to be taking it well. No particular commotion or disorder. The group of ten were greeted by a crew, standing with the 6 ft separation each with a cart they had freshly wiped with disinfectant. A sign at the head of the line informed us the store was out of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, lysol, and a few other things, but no big deal. Inside I got the things I wanted and checkout was very smooth. I then went to my local chain grocer who had no chicken and the canned veggies shelf was very sparse. I noticed in the same strip mall that my favorite chinese takeout was closed for the duration, but a sub shop and a Little Cesars' Pizza was busy.

Life goes on. I make adjustments. I don't know when my barber will be back in business. As an old geezer that is not a problem so far. The temperature today hit 80. The decorative pear trees and dogwoods, the magnolia across the parking lot, the grape hyacinths out side my front door are all blooming. As I drove home from the grocery store, my radio played a composition by PDQ Bach that I had not heard before--the 1712 Overture. I pulled into my parking slot after listening to that in a wonderfully euphoric mood. I am still healthy. I find still some good things to live for.

snailgate

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Econoline wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:15 am
Darren wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:55 pm
When do you think Trump should have taken action?
  • When he said the virus was “one person coming in from China, and we have it under control“ he should have shut his mouth;
  • when he said “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China” he should have shut his mouth;
  • when he said the virus had been “contained” he should have shut his mouth;
  • when he said testing is available to anybody who wants it he should have shut his mouth;
  • when he said people should go to work if they’re sick he should have shut his mouth;
  • when he said “by April, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away” he should have shut his mouth;
  • when he blamed an Obama administration regulation for slowing the production of test kits he should have shut his mouth;
  • when he said that “the Democrat policy of open borders” had brought the virus into the country he should have shut his mouth;
  • when he said a vaccine would be available “very quickly” and “very rapidly” and praised his administration’s actions as “the most aggressive taken by any country” he should have shut his mouth;
  • when he said on multiple occasions that the virus was less serious than the flu he should have shut his mouth.
  • etc.
What all these actions have in common is the one thing the POSOTUS seems to be incapable of: simply KEEPING HIS FUCKING MOUTH SHUT AND NOT SPREADING BULLSHIT..

-- Author unknown

liberty

Post by liberty »

You know we can’t do this indefinitely; an economy can’t be shut down for long have the situation end well.
And the government national or state can’t pay everyone a thousand dollars a month forever; the money has to come from somewhere. This country can’t borrow any more money. I think the government can tax only so much at some point people will stop paying taxes. So where does the money come from to give everyone who loses their job a thousand dollars a month?

I wonder if anyone is monitoring the supply of food in the country? The federal government should ensure adequate stocks of food remain in this country. It might be at some point be necessary to ban the export of food.
Last edited by liberty on Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

you really think we will be in a better state if we have a large portion of humanity die off? (that portion BTW is one you are in fact are a prime candidate for?)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.